Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone shot CMP matches? (EIC stuff)

I've shot a handful of EIC matches with the National Guard, including the All-Army match, AK State match, regionals, and all National Guard matches.

There are 2 main EIC matches for points (one pistol and one rifle), and a bunch of optional side matches.

Can't remember any 1 handed stages in any of the matches (definitely not the EIC pistol). I think the older EIC , match (now a side match) had a stage where you switch to your non-dominant hand around a barricade, but you used both hands on the pistol. Kinda bizarre, but whatever.

The matches are kinda archaic, but not all bad. There's a very high premium on accuracy, with mostly pretty low time pressure. Kinda like how I image PPC to be (never shot it). We have to use retention holsters.

My favorite string of fire is something like 15 yds, 2 10 round mags, draw, fire 5, slide lock reload, fire 5 at the next target, all in 15 seconds. The X ring is maybe 2 in", and 10 ring maybe 3" or so?. So fairly aggressive precision. Other strings are at 25 and 35 yds I think, and seem glacially slow by comparison.

I got my distinguished pistol a couple years ago. Its kinda weird to be treated like some sort of pistol shooting freak in the Army, when I'm really just a middle of the pack shooter our tiny little local USPSA club. I'm probably more accurate than most USPSA shooters, and the EIC rewards that handsomely. But really my heart is in USPSA. I kinda view my purpose at EIC matches as to shoot well, then use that recognition to proselytize for USPSA or IDPA shooting, as most soldiers have no concept of what's possible with a handgun. So its been a good way to get to help build handgun proficiency in the guard.

Anyway, its really rewarding for me, even though the matches themselves are kinda boring.

FWIW, the big guard matches are WAY more competitive then the All-Army. More civilian shooting enthusiasts. Kinda neat. The Air Guard guys do disproportionately well.

The reason I'm asking, and I'm a USPSA whore, is because I'm going to have much less time in the next year for some work/home-related reasons.

It will be untenable to shoot enough to keep my edge in USPSA, so I'm toying with the idea of shelving that for a bit. That said, I need to pull the trigger and, while it has been years since I've shot Bullseye, I think I'd like to try this out.

Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    I've shot a handful of EIC matches with the National Guard, including the All-Army match, AK State match, regionals, and all National Guard matches.

There are 2 main EIC matches for points (one pistol and one rifle), and a bunch of optional side matches.

Can't remember any 1 handed stages in any of the matches (definitely not the EIC pistol). I think the older EIC , match (now a side match) had a stage where you switch to your non-dominant hand around a barricade, but you used both hands on the pistol. Kinda bizarre, but whatever.

The matches are kinda archaic, but not all bad. There's a very high premium on accuracy, with mostly pretty low time pressure. Kinda like how I image PPC to be (never shot it). We have to use retention holsters.

My favorite string of fire is something like 15 yds, 2 10 round mags, draw, fire 5, slide lock reload, fire 5 at the next target, all in 15 seconds. The X ring is maybe 2 in", and 10 ring maybe 3" or so?. So fairly aggressive precision. Other strings are at 25 and 35 yds I think, and seem glacially slow by comparison.

I got my distinguished pistol a couple years ago. Its kinda weird to be treated like some sort of pistol shooting freak in the Army, when I'm really just a middle of the pack shooter our tiny little local USPSA club. I'm probably more accurate than most USPSA shooters, and the EIC rewards that handsomely. But really my heart is in USPSA. I kinda view my purpose at EIC matches as to shoot well, then use that recognition to proselytize for USPSA or IDPA shooting, as most soldiers have no concept of what's possible with a handgun. So its been a good way to get to help build handgun proficiency in the guard.

Anyway, its really rewarding for me, even though the matches themselves are kinda boring.

FWIW, the big guard matches are WAY more competitive then the All-Army. More civilian shooting enthusiasts. Kinda neat. The Air Guard guys do disproportionately well.
    I just started shooting the guard EIC matches also. I shot nationals, regionals, and the state match this year. I think I should be halfway to my distinguished pistol badge after regionals a few weeks ago. My rifle shooting is holding me back right now. I plan on putting in enough work to be more competitive at nationals the next two years. I would like to earn a Chief's 50 badge, a couple guys on my team got it this year.
    Shooting Bullseye is on my list also. Camp Perry and the President's 100 sounds like something I would like to work toward. I've been reading about the different options for the .22 pistol and looking for a 1911 also.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I've only fired one M1 carbine match at a clinic.

The actual shooting portions were like glue had been injected into my veins.

During the non-shooting portions, the silverbearded duffers kept pointing their ballistic golf clubs at me and, when I got all twitchy and dodged away from muzzles, they said I was being silly, because they had chamber flags in their ballistic golf clubs.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by CalmlyDeMented View Post
    I just started shooting the guard EIC matches also. I shot nationals, regionals, and the state match this year. I think I should be halfway to my distinguished pistol badge after regionals a few weeks ago. My rifle shooting is holding me back right now. I plan on putting in enough work to be more competitive at nationals the next two years. I would like to earn a Chief's 50 badge, a couple guys on my team got it this year.
    Shooting Bullseye is on my list also. Camp Perry and the President's 100 sounds like something I would like to work toward. I've been reading about the different options for the .22 pistol and looking for a 1911 also.
    Just saw my old post and thought it was funny. A busy two years shooting National Guard matches since I wrote that. In the last year my team won Regionals, All-Army, and Nationals, also earned my Chief's 50 in pistol and rifle this year. Put in a lot of hard work and shot a lot of rounds since then, also applied a lot knowledge gained from this forum. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by CalmlyDeMented View Post
    Just saw my old post and thought it was funny. A busy two years shooting National Guard matches since I wrote that. In the last year my team won Regionals, All-Army, and Nationals, also earned my Chief's 50 in pistol and rifle this year. Put in a lot of hard work and shot a lot of rounds since then, also applied a lot knowledge gained from this forum. Good times.
    Do you use a 1911 or Beretta 92? Could you describe your set up, required gear?

We use crappy issue M9s and M16A4s with ACOGs that are right off the rack. Required gear is all issue stuff: helmet, load bearing vest with mag pouches, water source, and first aid pouch. As long as its close to issue gear, it should be fine, just nothing crazy. Holster must have retention; I use a Safariland ALS with a drop and offset.

Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post

I actually use the EIC 221 pistol match as one of the scored drills for my local training group when I have them shoot timed drills (along with FAMS qual, FBI qual, LAPD qual, etc). As JDB mentioned before for the motivated and accomplished pistol shooter scoring a near perfect score is not terribly difficult but to the "typical soldier" or "typical CCW guy" pistol skill level guys it is viewed as a big deal.
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 06-21-2018 at 12:10 PM.

Yes. I have 14 High Power Rifle and 4 Pistol EIC points. Sometimes everything just goes right.

User Tag List