Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 23?

Quote Originally Posted by leif View Post
    Little bit of an update. I ran my LW conversion barrel today. Ran ok, not 100%. Had one vertical stove pipe and one horizontal stove pipe. Ejection was HORRIBLE however. The brass went all over the place, with the majority going directly in front of me. My range ammo is 124gr Freedom. I ran one mag of the stuff through my carry 19 (which admittedly has the apex ejector) and it was all in one neat pile at 3:00. This is strictly a range gun so I don't really care but what gives? Would the Apex parts solve it? I seem to remember it ran fine as a .40, but only shot full power duty ammo through it.
    If you're using the 40 slide the breech face is larger and the extractor may not get the same bite as a 9mm slide would.
    Last edited by El Cid; 01-31-2016 at 07:20 PM.

Site Supporter
    Little bit of an update. I ran my LW conversion barrel today. Ran ok, not 100%. Had one vertical stove pipe and one horizontal stove pipe. Ejection was HORRIBLE however. The brass went all over the place, with the majority going directly in front of me. My range ammo is 124gr Freedom. I ran one mag of the stuff through my carry 19 (which admittedly has the apex ejector) and it was all in one neat pile at 3:00. This is strictly a range gun so I don't really care but what gives? Would the Apex parts solve it? I seem to remember it ran fine as a .40, but only shot full power duty ammo through it.
    How does it run as a 40 ? I would also try some full power factory 9mm vs commercial reloads before i became concerned. Either duty ammo or something with good QC like American Eagle or Lawman.

I had (2) G4 23's a while back & they were both fantastic. Had around 1k through each. I've since traded them off, but I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    How does it run as a 40 ? I would also try some full power factory 9mm vs commercial reloads before i became concerned. Either duty ammo or something with good QC like American Eagle or Lawman.
    Ran fine as a 40. But also only ever used full power duty ammo, winchester ranger-t 180 gr I believe.

I had a conversion barrel on my m&p 40 and understand the breach face differences, but that gun still ejected brass reliably so I was surprised to see it launched forward today.

Will try some AE (which is our issued training ammo) and duty ammo next go around.

Site Supporter
    Ran fine as a 40. But also only ever used full power duty ammo, winchester ranger-t 180 gr I believe.

I had a conversion barrel on my m&p 40 and understand the breach face differences, but that gun still ejected brass reliably so I was surprised to see it launched forward today.

Will try some AE (which is our issued training ammo) and duty ammo next go around.
    Is this the same gun you mentioned in the other thread with Trigger issues? That could be part of it as well.

If it continues to malfunction with good ammo and otherwise in spec parts you may want to contact lonewolf. JHC and KevinB have reported improved extraction/ Ejection in some guns with KKM replacement barrels so theoretically, the reverse could be true as well, a barrel a bit out of spec could cause those issues.

Since you've got both a 19 and 23 (and assuming they're both either gen 3 or gen 4) try your 9mm ejector and/or 9mm Apex extractor and see if that helps. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it does when the gun gets some miles on it. A few of the locals have not just gone down the 9/40 parts swapping road, they've paved it and put up signs. More trouble than it's worth to me, but it seems to satisfy them.

Anyway, that's a $0 experiment and if the ejector works you're out like $8. If it's the extractor that's a bit more spendy, but since you're already into it for a barrel why not a $60 apex extractor?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Is this the same gun you mentioned in the other thread with Trigger issues? That could be part of it as well.

If it continues to malfunction with good ammo and otherwise in spec parts you may want to contact lonewolf. JHC and KevinB have reported improved extraction/ Ejection in some guns with KKM replacement barrels so theoretically, the reverse could be true as well, a barrel a bit out of spec could cause those issues.
    Yeah same one. I'm replacing everything I polished (firing pin safety..sigh), which maybe affected the ejector? Who knows, I have a lot of part swapping and testing ahead of me.
    Last edited by leif; 02-01-2016 at 11:16 PM.

I have a 23 I converted to 9 with the LW barrel, it's a gen 3 but it ejects fine. I installed a 9mm ejector (trigger housing w/ ejector), 9mm extractor, and spring loaded bearing lci 9. I used all OEM parts and they were only a little over $20 for all of them. If you cannot order parts from Glock directly you can get all the parts on brownells (they ship faster than Glock so I'd go with them anyways). Ejection with crappy reloads is weak but it doesn't malfunction, but with any halfway decent factory ammo ejection is fine. May or may not fix your problem but it's a fairly minor expense to get the 9mm specific parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack View Post
    I have a 23 I converted to 9 with the LW barrel, it's a gen 3 but it ejects fine. I installed a 9mm ejector (trigger housing w/ ejector), 9mm extractor, and spring loaded bearing lci 9. I used all OEM parts and they were only a little over $20 for all of them. If you cannot order parts from Glock directly you can get all the parts on brownells (they ship faster than Glock so I'd go with them anyways). Ejection with crappy reloads is weak but it doesn't malfunction, but with any halfway decent factory ammo ejection is fine. May or may not fix your problem but it's a fairly minor expense to get the 9mm specific parts.
    Thanks for the info. Have you ever tried putting the 40 barrel back in and shooting it with the 9mm parts in there?

I don't shoot 40 anymore but I would advise against even trying to see if that would work. I would only install the 9mm parts if you are planning on converting it permanently to 9mm. If you are looking to switch back and forth between 9 and 40 I would just deal with the erratic ejection as switching the ejector, extractor, and spring loaded bearing each time you wanted to switch caliber would be annoying.

User Tag List