Thread: Pistol ammo designation

Pistol ammo designation

So some talk on fb about under 21 buying pistol ammo. How does a state or the Feds define pistol ammo. I really don't understand with calibers being chambered in rifles and pistols. Ex. 44 mag. Or 357 mag or hell 22lr. Just wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Legally? No idea. Practically, the clerk asks "is this for a rifle or a pistol?" when a youngish person buys .22 or the like.

That is what o don't understand. My question stems from a lawsuit against Walmart who sold a 20 year old 38 specials. Calming it was pistol ammo. Well I could shoot 38 special out of my 357
    Maximum I just ordered which is a rifle. Just don't get it. But there is many things I don't understand

Quote Originally Posted by butler coach View Post
    I could shoot 38 special out of my 357 Maximum I just ordered which is a rifle.
    Or a .38 special lever action rifle. It's a weird thing. On the other hand, my father in law has a .357 Maximum pistol. On the other other hand, the most common usage for .38 special is in revolvers, so that's likely what they're going on. Remember that the government *and* a large corporation are involved, and therefore, NOTHING is required to make sense, even things that would normally be clear-cut, which this is demonstrably not.

Pistol ammo designation

True. My fault for thinking.

Last edited by butler coach; 01-10-2016 at 08:42 AM.

IIRC, the law says that people under 21 are prohibited from buying ammo for use in a pistol. If the ammo in question is being purchased for use in a rifle, it's legal to sell. If it's for use in a pistol, it's not legal to sell.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

18USC922(b)(1)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
    (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

Depends on the state.

Where I'm at, I remember being asked "y'all 18 right?" when buying 9mm ammo. When I said that it was for a pistol and the actual age was 21, she said "oh...y'all 21 right?"

ninja edit: the law doesn't vary from state to state, but the process that is actually in place might vary.
    Last edited by perlslacker; 01-11-2016 at 09:12 AM.

User Tag List