Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 146: Rangemaster Handgun Core Skills Test

Week 146: Rangemaster Handgun Core Skills Test

Week 146: Rangemaster Handgun Core Skills Test

Results may be posted until February 8th, 2016.

Designed by: Tom Givens
    Range: 3-25 yards
    Target: See below
    Start position: Holstered, unless otherwise specified
    Rounds fired: 40

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    ...when I designed this my goal was to test a balance of speed and precision. I firmly believe that the ability to fire a nice tight fist sized group is great unless it takes you too long to do so and you get shot before you get your rounds off. I also firmly believe that spraying rounds lightning quick but sloppily is just as bad. What I'm looking for is adequate accuracy delivered very quickly.
    Target: IALEFI - QP, modified IDPA, or USPSA Metric. There is going to be some variation here since we don't all have the same targets. Ideally, there will approximately be an 8" circle in the high chest surrounded by a "C-zone", and a ~4" circle in the head, surrounded by a roughly 6x6" head box. For the purposes of the Drill of the Week, you may also use a USPSA Metric target, just understand that the lower A-zone goes lower and is a little larger overall than the intended 8" circle, and the upper A-zone is smaller than the intended ~4" circle.

IALEFI - QP: The 8" circle in body and ~4" circle in head are 5 points. The rest of the head and the rest of the 'bottle' are 3 points. Everywhere else is 0 points.

IDPA: Add a ~4" circle to the head. The 8" circle in the body and the ~4" circle in the head are 5 points. The -1 zone in the body and the head box outside the ~4" circle are 3 points. The -3 zone is 0 points.

USPSA Metric: The lower and upper A-zones are 5 points. The B and C-zones are 3 points. The D-zone is 0 points.

Record your time for each string.

String 1 @ 3 yards: Sidestep, draw, and shoot 4 body.
    String 2 @ 5 yards: Sidestep, draw, and shoot 3 body and 2 head.
    String 3 @ 5 yards: Start with gun at ready in strong hand only, shoot 4 body.
    String 4 @ 5 yards: Start with gun at ready in support hand only, shoot 5 body.
    String 5 @ 7 yards: Draw and shoot 6 body.
    String 6 @ 7 yards: Start with gun at ready loaded with exactly 3 rounds. Shoot 3 body, reload, and shoot 3 body.
    String 7 @ 10 yards: Draw and shoot 3 body.
    String 8 @ 15 yards: Draw and shoot 4 body.
    String 9 @ 25 yards: Draw and shoot 3 body.

Scoring:

Add up your total time
    Add up your total points
    Divide your points by your time, then multiply by 20 to calculate your Final Score.

80 - 100 = Very Good
    100 - 124 = Advanced
    125 or more = Master
    100 is the "Par Score"

For example, you shoot 180 total points in 35.50 total seconds. 180 points/35.50 seconds = 5.07. 5.07 x 20 = 101.4. Your Final Score would be 101, and you shot Advanced.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Pistol, holster, and concealment used
    Time for each string
    Total points
    Total time
    Final score
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

P30 in a JM AIWB concealed with long sleeve shirt

I had to re shoot string 2 because I put 4 to the body and 1 to the head. It's hard to count and shoot. (That's why there is 3 head shots)

String 6 I started from the draw as my mind skipped the part about from the ready.

Shortened the lower A a hair and the upper is 4x4 roughly. I cut what I thought was an inch off 2 3x5 index cards and then stacked them with what I thought was an inch of overlap.

26.51 total time
    198 points
    149.37 score

I really really wanted to shoot this clean, threw one at 15 trying to make up for a hideous draw.

This was the first thing I shot today, no dry fire prior earlier. I wanted to shoot it cold and clean. My draws really reall were not on point today. Not sure why. I was really excited to shoot this drill for the first time and glad I did. I feel like I could shoot it a little faster and live with a few C's (aka game it ) and get a lot better score.

i used to wannabe

First Thanks Mr.White for your time in keeping the drill of the week going. I enjoy shooting them and reading the other members results but have never posted. I've made a commitment to myself for 2016 to push my lack luster skills and participate more on this great forum.

M&P Shield 9mm, RCS Phantom Holster, Carhartt Coat

String 1 2.78
    String 2 3.83
    String 3 1.64
    String 4 2.83
    String 5 5.89
    String 6 6.06
    String 7 3.21
    String 8 4.62
    String 9 4.43

35.29 total time
    188 points
    106.55 score

Things I took away, I can't count or read. I screwed up string 6 and started from my holster versus from ready. String 5 which requires 6 rounds, I shot 5 and paused, realized I needed another one and sent it. Both mistakes hurt my score but at the end of the day it's a great drill.
    Attachment 5393
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by D.O.A.F.S.; 01-10-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Well for some reason I can't seem to post pictures any more. Not sure what that is about. Anyway,

G19 w/RMR Fricke AIWB holster, Kuhl pullover for concealment.

String 1 2.06
    String 2 3.51
    String 3 2.87
    String 4 4.52
    String 5 3.25
    String 6 5.73
    String 7 2.99
    String 8 4.2
    String 9 6.35

Total time 35.48
    Points 194
    Score 109.36

Things I noticed would only be that I need to shoot faster in general as well as working on my speed and accuracy at the 25 yard line and beyond. That was my slowest time as well as the only place I dropped any points.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I feel like I could shoot it a little faster and live with a few C's (aka game it ) and get a lot better score.
    Probably true. One thing that's always fascinated me about this test is that it uses hit factor-based scoring, which is very unusual in defensive drills and tests. I think it's fun to try shooting it in a few different manners and see how the scores come out.

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.A.F.S. View Post
    First Thanks Mr.White for your time in keeping the drill of the week going. I enjoy shooting them and reading the other members results but have never posted. I've made a commitment to myself for 2016 to push my lack luster skills and participate more on this great forum.
    You're welcome D.O.A.F.S.! Glad to hear you enjoy them and will be posting more.
    Lord of the Food Court

Gen3 G34 in a Keeper concealed under a polo shirt.
    Used an IDPA target and traced a ~3.5" circle in the head (the outline of my depleted roll of duct tape.)

Times
    String 1 @ 3 yards: Sidestep, draw, and shoot 4 body = 1.40
    String 2 @ 5 yards: Sidestep, draw, and shoot 3 body and 2 head = 2.03
    String 3 @ 5 yards: Start with gun at ready in strong hand only, shoot 4 body = 1.50
    String 4 @ 5 yards: Start with gun at ready in support hand only, shoot 5 body = 2.08
    String 5 @ 7 yards: Draw and shoot 6 body = 2.03
    String 6 @ 7 yards: Start with gun at ready loaded with exactly 3 rounds. Shoot 3 body, reload, and shoot 3 body = 3.09
    String 7 @ 10 yards: Draw and shoot 3 body = 1.49
    String 8 @ 15 yards: Draw and shoot 4 body = 2.15
    String 9 @ 25 yards: Draw and shoot 3 body = 2.49

Total time: 18.26 seconds
    Total points: 196

Final score: 214

I really enjoy that this particular test is based in hit factor scoring.
    Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Gen3 G34 in a Keeper concealed under a polo shirt.
    Used an IDPA target and traced a ~3.5" circle in the head (the outline of my depleted roll of duct tape.)

Times
    String 1 @ 3 yards: Sidestep, draw, and shoot 4 body = 1.40
    String 2 @ 5 yards: Sidestep, draw, and shoot 3 body and 2 head = 2.03
    String 3 @ 5 yards: Start with gun at ready in strong hand only, shoot 4 body = 1.50
    String 4 @ 5 yards: Start with gun at ready in support hand only, shoot 5 body = 2.08
    String 5 @ 7 yards: Draw and shoot 6 body = 2.03
    String 6 @ 7 yards: Start with gun at ready loaded with exactly 3 rounds. Shoot 3 body, reload, and shoot 3 body = 3.09
    String 7 @ 10 yards: Draw and shoot 3 body = 1.49
    String 8 @ 15 yards: Draw and shoot 4 body = 2.15
    String 9 @ 25 yards: Draw and shoot 3 body = 2.49

Total time: 18.26 seconds
    Total points: 196

Final score: 214

I really enjoy that this particular test is based in hit factor scoring.
    That is insane. Do you think your times would be typical of a USPSA Master level shooter, or are you better at this type of thing than shooting matches?

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    That is insane. Do you think your times would be typical of a USPSA Master level shooter, or are you better at this type of thing than shooting matches?
    As time goes on, I continue to gain perspective about USPSA shooters of various skill levels, but my perception is still incomplete. Plus it does vary and people do however well they do in USPSA through differing combinations of relative strengths. But to the second part of your question - yes, I think I score relatively more highly on the RMHCST than a USPSA match. Big reason is the relative importance of the draw. Six of nine strings on this test include drawing, which is pure profit for me. The draw has a much, much lower impact on scores in USPSA due to the larger amount of shooting compared to the number of draws you do, which is once per stage at the most. Really, a bit less than that because some stages include gun start positions not in the holster (on the table, in the briefcase, etc.) Plus, in the RMHCST, I can use my very slickest hand start position - hands at sides. In USPSA, it is a minority of the time I get to draw that way. There is a ton of 'start sitting in the chair with both hands flat on knees', 'both hands touching your nose', 'both hands on Xs', 'holding the stuffed hedgehog', or whatever of the infinite variations there are to drawing the gun. SHO/WHO shooting probably also does pretty well for me on this test.
    Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    As time goes on, I continue to gain perspective about USPSA shooters of various skill levels, but my perception is still incomplete. Plus it does vary and people do however well they do in USPSA through differing combinations of relative strengths. But to the second part of your question - yes, I think I score relatively more highly on the RMHCST than a USPSA match. Big reason is the relative importance of the draw. Six of nine strings on this test include drawing, which is pure profit for me. The draw has a much, much lower impact on scores in USPSA due to the larger amount of shooting compared to the number of draws you do, which is once per stage at the most. Really, a bit less than that because some stages include gun start positions not in the holster (on the table, in the briefcase, etc.) Plus, in the RMHCST, I can use my very slickest hand start position - hands at sides. In USPSA, it is a minority of the time I get to draw that way. There is a ton of 'start sitting in the chair with both hands flat on knees', 'both hands touching your nose', 'both hands on Xs', 'holding the stuffed hedgehog', or whatever of the infinite variations there are to drawing the gun. SHO/WHO shooting probably also does pretty well for me on this test.
    Thanks that actually makes quite a bit of sense.

Since we're still posting, I shot this test this evening. Cold, no warm up. gen4 G34, full duty gear (ALS 6390).

Run 1: 176pts, 30.29, 116 total
    Run 2: 177pts, 26.93, 131 total
    Last edited by ST911; 01-15-2016 at 08:49 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List