Thread: Nearsightedness Eyes and Shooting

Nearsightedness Eyes and Shooting

Due to my nearsightedness, I found it was hard to see the X-ring of a B27 target at 15-yard clearly without my prescription glasses. If I use my prescription glasses, I can see the X-ring OK, but my front sights is now blurring. I friend of mine suggested to get the prescription for one of my eye for front sight and the other for distance. It seemed kind of weird that do you open both eyes while aiming or do one alternating closing one eye than the other? Anyone else has this problem?

I am very nearsighted and getting scary close to ancient. I shoot with both eyes open. Everything's fuzzy. After awhile you learn to put the not-so-fuzzy thing on the fuzzier thing and just shoot it. I'll never be a bullseye shooter but I can still hit stuff reasonably well.
    Last edited by NETim; 01-08-2016 at 07:48 AM.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Most folks that lack perfect vision have this problem to some degree since corrective lenses seldom provide the ability to focus well at all distances. Since you can only focus on one focal plane at a time, the front sight is the most important and at 15 yards on such a small target you've got to have a fairly clear front sight.

Determine the minimum amount of correction your shooting eye needs to give you a reasonably clear front sight and the target shouldn't be overly blurred.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

My nearsightedness is corrected to 20/20 by my trifocals, but I still can't focus on the front sight with my head in a normal position, due to the sight being in my 'longer distance' part of my lens.

Last week, at the suggestion of a forum member, I ordered a pair of these +1.5 full lens safety glasses for $7 off Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using them for dry fire, and so far, they really work well forme to focus in on the sight in my particular case.

I am 58, extremely nearsighted and the savior of my iron sighted pistol shooting has been a monovision prescription of contacts. I wear a partial correction prescription contact in my dominant eye and a full correction prescription in the other. Last month at my annual exam my new monovision combo had me reading 20/15 with both eyes and my front sight sharp as a razor.

As we get old our near sighted eyes sort of have this pistol sights advantage. Our eyes still see up close very well vs normal aging vision. So the partial correction lets that near sighted eye do it's thing.

The downside is the distant targets get pretty fuzzy but one can make do pretty well.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I'm in sort of the same boat as others here. I had my doc correct my dominant eye for whatever the front sight is (3 feet or so) and my other eye for distance. The result is a bit like looking down a wormhole in a sci fi channel show, but I can see the sights and the target. It's weird, but I get the hits like I was 20 again, only slower.

Site Supporter
    My post re this issue in May 2015

Pardon me in advance for such a long winded posting.

I have needed a distance correction with a bit of astigmatism beginning law school in the early 90’s. This timeframe corresponds with my interest in shooting. As I have gotten older, my Rx has settled down to Left Eye -1.50/Right Eye -2.25 . Plus or minus a .25 in either eye. I am told this .25 is par for the course an can vary by the day, time of day, our perceptions that we relay to the eye tech, the eye tech and even the equipment itself.

Despite having an eye exam within the last 6 months or so with the parameters I outlined above, I have noticed that I now see the front sight with complete clarity when I do not have any correction ( contacts or glasses in the RX above) when I am at full extension. Conversely, I no longer have that same level of clarity when I have correction on my eyes. The issue becomes that as lighting conditions darken, I simply cannot read facial expressions and body language to my level of satisfaction i.e. past 7-10 yards uncorrected.

In an effort to see the front sight clearly but be able to read facial features etc., I first tried a correction where I corrected my left eye at standard strength (-1.50) and made my right (and dominant) eye under corrected with a - 1.50 contact as well. While I saw the front better with this set up,
    I was still not satisfied.

I then tried a “monovision” correction where I corrected my left at its std-1.50 and my right went uncorrected the idea being my left was for distance and my right was for close up. This was a definite improvement but was a bit slow feeling to me. I confess that I only did this for about a week and perhaps my eyes/body simply needed more time to adjust.

On a whim, I went back to the dual contact set up where my right eye was under corrected and put on a pair of cheap +1.5 readers I had around.
    WOW!! I could see dust flecks on the top of the front sight. My distance correction was a bit blurred past 20-25 yards but that happens anyway no matter what we do.

I then checked Amazon, looking for a full lenses reader, safety rated. I thought perhaps I could go down in magnification to get the distance acuity back without losing the front sight focus. I bought the +.5 readers linked below. When coupled with my -1.50 correction in both eyes, I have excellent front sight focus with very good distance as well. I am thinking about getting a set of +1.0 to see how much distance softens. I suspect that I will be fine. I am jumping to +1.0 v going to just +.75 as I know about the .25 margin of error as discussed above.

NOTE: I am recommending FULL LENSE glasses and NOT Bi-Focals. I think a Bi-Focal set up is too slow and has typically has the correction area of the lense too low to help with shooting.

+.5
    http://www.amazon.com/Rx-500C-0-5-Fu...863027&sr=1-20

+1 ( I just ordered these)
    http://www.amazon.com/Rx-500C-1-0-Fu...s=elvex+rx-500

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I'm in sort of the same boat as others here. I had my doc correct my dominant eye for whatever the front sight is (3 feet or so) and my other eye for distance. The result is a bit like looking down a wormhole in a sci fi channel show, but I can see the sights and the target. It's weird, but I get the hits like I was 20 again, only slower.
    I got the "worm hole" once when the gap between full correction and less than was too great. Closing that gap a skosh made it go away.
    So I think today I'm at Left Eye -4.00 and Right Eye -3.25. Pretty freakin' nearsighted.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List