Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Defensive Pistol Ammo Accuracy/Precision

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    Accuracy of duty ammunition is important. But it's now of many factors to consider.

Reliability, design of the cartridge (sealed), bullet performance under expected engagement conditions, accuracy, price, availability, flash retardant nature . Many factors to consider in addition to accuracy.

I participated in the selection of new duty ammo for my agency (1,200 sworn at the time) in 2011. We hosted two separate ballistic workshops to test ammo. In preparation for the ballistic workshops, I reached out to our own, Dr. Gary Roberts for input. He helped me to know what questions to ask and what to look for during the testing. The rounds we tested had also been tested by him previously. The results were same as his. I stress this only as it confirmed in my mind the validity of the testing process in that it can be repeated when done half a continent away. Side note: if you ever get a chance to participate in a ballistic workshop, do it. Seeing is believing... Especially when testing 380 rounds, they suck...

The last thing we did was an accuracy test of the rounds being considered. Had someone shoot 25yd groups with an issued M&P9. ALL of the rounds that were being considered were deemed to be accurate enough. Keep in mind the intended purpose. We're talking about duty ammunition to be shot in duty guns. We are not talking about NRA Bullseye competitors and their ammunition selection.
    What did your agency ultimately select, if you don't mind me asking?

We went with:

Winchester Ranger T 147 gr JHP, RA9T for 9mm

Winchester 64 gr bonded, RA556B for 5.56mm

More recently we switched the 12 ga loading to the Federal Flight controlled wad OO buck for 12 ga. I can't remember the model number of this loading, but the flight controlled wad is something you have to see to believe.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 01-11-2016 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    We went with:

Winchester Ranger T 147 gr JHP, RA9T for 9mm

Winchester 64 gr bonded, RA556B for 5.56mm

More recently we switched the 12 ga loading to the Federal Flight controlled wad OO buck for 12 ga. I can't remember the model number of this loading, but the flight controlled wad is something you have to see to believe.
    I bought some Flight Control #1 buck. Shot it. Saw it. Still can't believe it!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List