Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me spend some money on suppressors

Help me spend some money on suppressors

With pending changes to NFA trusts, I figure now is the time to finally pull the trigger on one or more suppressors.

Would like to cover the following bases:

1) something that would work on a 6.5 or .30 cal precision rifle

2) something that would work on a .300 BLK AR pistol or SBR (and ideally on 5.56)

3) a suppressor for something I don't know I need now, but later will want, like .22 or 9mm?

Just tell me what to buy and where from, keeping it simple as possible, so I don't have to decipher hundreds of pages of various threads!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Help me spend some money on suppressors

While the guys at Griffin are a little...odd at times, I have 2 of there cans and no complaints (M4SD II 5.56 & the Revolution 9mm can).

There are so many great choices out there now but I keep coming back to the Griffin Optimus as my next can. Im trying to find a reason to NOT get it and I keep failing to do so.

The Optimus would literally work on every gun you mentioned. It has a .30 cal taper mount, works on 5.56, 300blk, 9mm and even 22LR. Are there better individual choices for each caliber? Sure. But this is one can, one stamp.

It's pretty impressive, imho.

Worth a look I would say.

https://youtu.be/e4KfGPM-cJc

ETA -where to buy? Forum member Hansohn Brothers http://hansohnbrothers.com/index.php...product_id=398

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by punkey71; 01-07-2016 at 11:45 AM.

Precision rifle: Thunderbeast Ultra 7 in 6.5mm is what I would buy for myself if I had the $.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

So I did the same thing recently,, except my Spidie Sense about 41P was going off about 2 months ago. I currently have a trust with a single SBR. Had a feeling they would try to push 41P at the new year and the made the decision to have another SBR built and finally get some suppressors. At that time decided on:

Dedicated 5.56 can. Will live on new SBR predominantly as home/property rig

30 cal rifle can rated up to 300WM to cover all current and future rifles, be it another 5.56, 300BO, 6.5 (whatever current flavor), 308, or 300WM

45 cal pistol can. Covers both 45 and 9 pistols (use 147gr HST at home). Can also used on pistol cal carbine in future if needed, and most could be used for 300 BO also.

3 days ago when we all had an idea what was really going to happen, added a 22 can and another SBR lower. Just so much easier to deal with the paperwork now.

I am fortunate that I have a local FFL who deals with NFA items, so he has ordered all the cans and is building the SBR. They will prepare the paperwork so all I have to do is write a few $200 checks and Mail the paperwork. The other advantage of finding a local FFL to transfer through is you maybe able to has "visitation" rights while you wait for your stamps. I will be able to use the cans/SBR at the range when I shoot with the FFL.

Ordered Surefire 556 RC2, Surefire 300 SPS, SiCo 45 Octane, and SLR Rifleworks Aero

Already have a 14.5 PW with Surefire brake, so was pretty tied into Surefire for cans, there are more cost efficient choices, but not when you add in the cost of changing out pinned muzzle devices.

I think you choices are right in line with my reasoning, but would consider getting 45 cal pistol can, they work more than well enough on subsonic 9s and keeps options open the future ammo wise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by CoGT3; 01-07-2016 at 12:54 PM.

A good friend of mine and my fathers owns Dead Air Armament (http://deadairsilencers.com/) which also is affiliated with Mike Pappas. We have a good amount of their line up except for the Ti can and while I am not a suppressed shooter on a regular basis, their cans are beautiful. Repeatable zero, incredibly easy to put on and off with one hand, and can be used on a variety of platforms. On a 300 blk, they, like others are laughably quiet. The tone is noticeably different from others as well. They just came out with a .45 can and the Mask for a .22. I have that one on my Ruger 22/45 and it's fun. Worth a look as they can be a one can solution. Currently several large PD's in the southeast are using them and after speaking with several people at the company there are no plans to go after the military market.

If you want the shortest 556 can then of course a dedicated and caliber specific can is hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    With pending changes to NFA trusts, I figure now is the time to finally pull the trigger on one or more suppressors.

Would like to cover the following bases:

1) something that would work on a 6.5 or .30 cal precision rifle

2) something that would work on a .300 BLK AR pistol or SBR (and ideally on 5.56)

3) a suppressor for something I don't know I need now, but later will want, like .22 or 9mm?

Just tell me what to buy and where from, keeping it simple as possible, so I don't have to decipher hundreds of pages of various threads!
    1.) Thunderbeast was already mentioned

2.) So far I like the Silencerco Omega

3.) A .22 and .45. The Sparrow and Octane fit this role for me.

Hit up Hansohn Brothers, they are vendors here and stand up guys.
    Last edited by Adam78; 01-07-2016 at 01:52 PM.

Suppressor technology is about as bad as computer tech, except that literally by the time you have it in hand, there is something better out there.

Any of the established makers will be gtg, if they offer something that appeals to you. I don't have a broad base of experience in cans, just some in depth experience with a few. TacSol makes great .22 cans, as do other people. TBAC makes great precision cans, as do other people. I don't really like any of the pistol cans out there, but the short Osprey might be worth a look.

If you are putting it on a gas gun, make sure it is compatible. many are not.

Gemtech "The One" for all the above needs.

GCORE can's for 300 and 9mm (also .22).

I have no complaints, they just work.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

GJM, I can answer your questions with logic and no bias and I am up to date on what is offered today. Feel free to call me tomorrow if you like.

I will also try to answer your post a little bit later.
    #RESIST

Lebowski not biased? I dunno if that can be true with a man that only drinks White Russians.

I have been a long time Gemtech user and that was by choice due to talking with Kel a member on multiple forums that helped me out when there were basically only Surefire, KAC, AAC, and Gemtech.

Now we have lots of options. I have a surefire 9mm can on the way, a SICO warlock .22 can, SICO SpecWar 556K, and a Dead Air Sandman S. I got the Specwar for guns that are 16 inches. I am talking with Chris about one more can before this goes does. I currently have a Gemtech G5 and Gemtech HVT-QD.

I would look at some of the new offerings and maybe wait to buy until after Shot Show. There are still new items that are being released at the Show that I have been told about that interests me but price point has not been set.
    Last edited by ffhounddog; 01-07-2016 at 07:34 PM.

User Tag List