Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American Steel Ammo?

American Steel Ammo?

Just received a Freedomunition email that they re selling American Steel Ammo. It is cheap and wonder if it is any good?m

https://www.freedommunitions.com/9mm...15sn-c1000.htm

Site Supporter
    No idea if it's any good. Freedom munitions is kind of a love it or hate it proposition.

Just a wild guess but Winchester recently released a line of U.S. made Steel case handgun ammo called USA forged. It is already out, I've seen it on the shelf at Academy.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ed-ammunition/

A friend sent me an ad from Natchez Shooters advertising Independence Aluminum.

You ever seen any of that, HCM? AFAIK, ATK is the only firm cranking out aluminum-cased ammunition. Is Independence just another branch of their "economy line" ammo tree? I've seen the brass-cased Independence stuff around, but never paid any real attention to it.

Great. Hopefully Freedom is using the FM, IMT, Ammoload, or some other easily recognizable headstamp on those. I'd rather not have to use a magnet to keep them out of my press, what with how the cases are brass-plated steel.
    Last edited by olstyn; 01-07-2016 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BCGlocker View Post
    Just received a Freedomunition email that they re selling American Steel Ammo. It is cheap and wonder if it is any good?m

https://www.freedommunitions.com/9mm...15sn-c1000.htm
    Hmm, I dunno, but:

The price ($203/case) is higher than I paid ($189/case) for new brass 124 Blazer at sgammo.com in October. I realize Obama is coming for our gunz, and prices have gone up, but that seems kinda middle of the road pricing for steel ammo,no? (I'll go check sgammo, brb).

EDIT: sgammo has 11 cases of Blazer 124 at $199/case:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/cci/10...-fmj-ammo-5201

My fancy pants stepped chamber German handgun manual says not to use steel or aluminum ammo, though, so I doubt I'd use the FM Steel ammo anyway.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-07-2016 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    A friend sent me an ad from Natchez Shooters advertising Independence Aluminum.

You ever seen any of that, HCM? AFAIK, ATK is the only firm cranking out aluminum-cased ammunition. Is Independence just another branch of their "economy line" ammo tree? I've seen the brass-cased Independence stuff around, but never paid any real attention to it.

Independence is often ammo from IMI
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    My fancy pants stepped chamber German handgun manual says not to use steel or aluminum ammo, though, so I doubt I'd use the FM Steel ammo anyway.
    Aluminum (at least, CCI Blazer and the new Federal Champion aluminum) works fine in HK stepped 9mm chambers*. I've shot a bunch of it through both a P2000 and two P30s. Will shot some in the USPc when I get around to it.

Steel is for Euro-trash metro-sexuals… regardless of the brand of pistol used…

* It DOESN'T work fine in HK fluted chambers; specifically, the MP-5. I was forced to buy a metric shit-load of CCI Blazer aluminum one year for training ammo for the department. It ran fine in Sigs, Glocks, Berettas, et. al.; but was a total disaster in the squirt guns with the selector set to happy. I tried some in my staple gun (P7)… it was very "iffy".
    Last edited by LSP972; 01-07-2016 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Additonal thought

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Independence is often ammo from IMI
    "Often"??? What about when its "not often"?

And when did IMI start producing aluminum cased stuff? Guess I need to get out more.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    "Often"??? What about when its "not often"?

And when did IMI start producing aluminum cased stuff? Guess I need to get out more.

The only aluminum cased stuff I have ever seen has been from Speer, they cracked the code on that decades ago.

All of the Independence that I have seen has been brass case, and most of it was from IMI and rebranded.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    The only aluminum cased stuff I have ever seen has been from Speer, they cracked the code on that decades ago.

All of the Independence that I have seen has been brass case, and most of it was from IMI and rebranded.
    You can now get aluminum cased 9mm/.40/.45 in the black-and-maroon Federal Champion box. From the bunter marks, it appears to have been produced at the CCI plant in Lewiston ID; as you noted, the birthplace of CCI Blazer aluminum over 30 years ago. A lot of the Federal Champion brass-cased stuff also has the distinctive Lewiston bunter marks. I've been noticing this for a couple of years now. ATK finally began cross-pollinating.

Re-branded IMI… okay, that explains something that wasn't clicking for me, regarding the Independence line of ammunition. Thanks.

User Tag List