Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In reference to motives for homicides question

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

In reference to motives for homicides question

We don't have the stats for those who survived yet, but as far as homicides:

Victims:
    37% had previous weapons charges
    55% had previous drug charges
    60% had previous crimes against persons charges

Suspects (when known):
    50% had previous weapons charges
    60% had previous drug charges
    74% had previous crimes against persons charges

121 from 144 due to gunshots (4 causes of death intentionally withheld for investigatory reasons)

Primary reasons for homicide (when known) in order:
    Drug related
    Argument related (which is often drug/gang related)
    Robbery related (which is often actually drug related)
    Unknown
    Revenge (which is often drug/gang related)
    Domestic

The first 3 are the vast majority.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    We don't have the stats for those who survived yet, but as far as homicides:

Victims:
    37% had previous weapons charges
    55% had previous drug charges
    60% had previous crimes against persons charges

Suspects (when known):
    50% had previous weapons charges
    60% had previous drug charges
    74% had previous crimes against persons charges

121 from 144 due to gunshots (4 causes of death intentionally withheld for investigatory reasons)

Drug related
    Unknown
    Domestic

So what you're saying is Obama should have banned drugs instead. Got it.

All kidding aside, I had suspected that a lot of the crimes like home invasions/homicide would be due to drug and gang involvement, but it sure looks like that percentage is way closer to 100% than I would have guessed. Thanks for sharing!

Site Supporter
    Twofer killings: both the victim and actor are POSs. One is dead and the other gets sent to the joint. Urban renewal in action.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Thanks BBL,

No real surprises for most of us. Easiest way to protect yourself is with lifestyle choices and avoiding mad women.
    Last edited by LSP552; 01-06-2016 at 10:31 AM.

Drug related
    Unknown
    Domestic

Sorry, but you've got to be wrong. Selling scheduled drugs without the proper permits is illegal in the United States and the DEA (by itself) has an annual budget of $2 billion. Given the law and the resources the United States has devoted to eliminating the presence of illegal narcotics in the United States, there can't be any illegal narcotic drugs present in the United States.[/sarcasm]

Yep. There are 2 drugs wars in our country: (1) the U.S./State/Local governments versus the illegal drug trade; and (2) drug dealers trying to enforce exclusive distribution rights. There also seems to be a correlation between the amount of illegal drugs distributed and the murder rate. Huh.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Twofer killings: both the victim and actor are POSs. One is dead and the other gets sent to the joint. Urban renewal in action.
    When I first started in the janitorial services, I was amazed at the number of murder cases we cleared with the arrest of drug dealers and gang members that would later get no-billed at grand jury for "self defense".

When someone offers the advise to find an attorney that specializes in self defense cases, I think of the guy that specializes in defending murderous dope dealers at the public defenders office.

Do you have stats for those who did not have any prior contacts with LE or the CJ system and/or that had valid CCW?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Do you have stats for those who did not have any prior contacts with LE or the CJ system and/or that had valid CCW?
    For suspect or victim? I can try to dig around and see. As far as victims with no records, several were children or killed in domestics, and a sprinkling of robberies/sexual assaults culminating in a murder. I don't think we keep stats for suspects with a CCW, but anecdotally it's in the single digits, so less than 1%.

For suspect or victim? I can try to dig around and see. As far as victims with no records, several were children or killed in domestics, and a sprinkling of robberies/sexual assaults culminating in a murder. I don't think we keep stats for suspects with a CCW, but anecdotally it's in the single digits, so less than 1%.
    I figured it was less than 1%.

It usually is.

Drug-related percentage is on par with what I've seen, though where I work drug-related homicides are 95% of all homicides, rest are domestics, if we aren't counting vehicles.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Back in the early 90's Gary Kleck had great chapter in Point Blank that debunked waiting periods and the idea that "normal" people commit homicides "in the heat of passion." What he found was the typical murderer was far from normal and had long history of regular disregard for human life.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List