• Transfer primary to weak hand, draw BUG with strong hand

1 8.33%
  • Drop primary, draw BUG

7 58.33%
  • Reholster primary, draw BUG

3 25.00%
  • Other (please specify)

1 8.33%

Thread: NY reloads - what do you do with the primary weapon?

NY reloads - what do you do with the primary weapon?

The double barreled 45 pocket gun post got me thinking. I don't personally carry a BUG, but just out of curiosity - for those of us who do, what have you practiced to do with your primary weapon?
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

Throw that MFer at the guy. Because it's what they do in movies. And it's fun to practice at IDPA matches...once.

Honestly, if I'm screwed enough to be going for a BUG, and the guy is close enough, I'm hucking my gun at him. Should keep him distracted for an extra second or so.
    JP Visual Design

I would decide the best way to use my new impact weapon based on range.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

You guys have got a point, but I dunno, if a whole bunch-a 125gr projectiles going at 1400fps don't do the trick, I don't think a 2lb object going 100fps is going to fare any better. I think I'd want to keep it to beat them over the head with.

I'm really only asking about just before drawing the BUG though.
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by DonovanM View Post
    The double barreled 45 pocket gun post got me thinking. I don't personally carry a BUG, but just out of curiosity - for those of us who do, what have you practiced to do with your primary weapon?
    The pocket gun like the on on P-T.com right now is more to me a fight starter than a BUG.

Open the fight with a surprise, seize initiative and move explosively as you access a primary weapon, not transition to a 2 shot derringer.

It depends .....

When I was a COP, I carried two additional handguns to my primary sidearm. I didn't really carry either of them as a "New York Reload" while carrying a pistol, as I could reload my primary about as quick as I could draw another gun.

Now back in the days when we carried revolvers - which is the context for the NY Reload to start with - a second gun could be drawn quicker than reloading a revolver with speed-loaders from duty leather .... and not to mention a circumstance of trying to reload a revolver while disabled and/or on your back.

I carried extra guns (accessible to both hands generally) for several reasons;

- In the event my primary gun became inoperable.
    - In the event my strong hand was injured or extremely busy doing something else.
    - In the event I needed to arm someone else.

To answer your question about what to do with the primary .... well, I really don't know as it would depend on the circumstance. Something tells me that I would intuitively try and retain possession of the primary gun if at all possible - but only if feasible and practical.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

User Tag List