Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Talking gear encourages emphasis on the wrong part of the equation

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I stopped giving advice to the majority of people who ask me about guns.
    I'm tired of giving them my opinion based on years of instructing, research, competition, training, observation and testing only to have it completely ignored because their brother in law owns a Taurus and he says it has a lifetime warranty and is just as good for half the money.
    Screw 'em. It's not my ass on the line.
    Yep...

And then they have the nerve to come back to you demanding you help fix their sub-par purchase and make it as functional as what you suggested in the first time. But without spending any money, time or effort!

It only gets worse when you are talking to people about an AR.

Wow, this thread made the Doodie Project "A Call To Troll". It's internet famous now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    All that is necessary for the triumph of derp is that good men do nothing..............
    +1, but I do agree with they way everyone feels. I witnessed several older women, with admittedly NO Experience, being sold 38 snubs and I overheard the salesman try to up sell a 357 Mag with the theory that she could shoot 38 or 357. He sold her a box of each and told her to go to the range and see the difference. I kinda wanted to see that!

The problem is there, is a large majority of people that feel if they have a gun they will be safe. The other issue is that there is no doubt they want to be able to protect themselves and family, but they are either not willing to do what it takes and or have no idea of what it takes, time, effort and expense wise.

Believe me I am not for any additional anti 2A regs, but the minimum requirements for most ccw permits for someone with little or no experience is a Joke!

The simple answer is Quality training, then the time and effort required to maintain and improve. The hard part is how do we get the "Average" person to understand that? They believe the basic ccw class is quality training. They have no comprehension this is the starting point, the minimum required.

The truth is, personal protection is a lifestyle NOT an after thought, and most do not understand, and are not willing to make a life style change.

I honestly believe most people don't know what they don't know! and worse may not really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    All that is necessary for the triumph of derp is that good men do nothing..............
    This.

I am a noob. But after two years participating online, three different annual gun range memberships, two competitve pistol classes, and one Steel Match later, I have woken up to how much bad, unsolicited advice is out there.

I would ask, of those that can contribute, please help us. We all start somewhere, and given how many are coming into the gun community, it is very likely you will find someone who has zero knowledge, or worse, 'heard it from a buddy' about so and so.

To the experts here, for what it's worth:

Be patient.

Don't 'volunteer'.

If you are asked, answer the question, as best you can. Share your perspective, including the 'why'. Then, wait for the next question.

If the conversation closes out, suggest they seek further knowledge and training, and encourage them to come to the range often.

Some folks will never learn, preferring to cling to their source of derpitude. All you can do with them is smile and wave.

But every new shooter is a potential 2A and RKBA supporter, and, eventually, they will get it.

In my experience most who ask for "advice" don't really want advice; they want confirmation of their preexisting (and usually unspoken) inclinations.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I am a training evangelist. Everyone who knows me knows that if a firearms related question is posed, I will answer the question to the best of my knowledge and that answer will be quickly followed by a short sermon on the need for training, particularly if it's for SD purposes.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Talking about buying cool gear leads to talking about using it and that sometimes leads to people becoming better shooters. Welcome it, do what you can.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

A lot of "formal trainers" are clowns. Maybe even the majority of them. Now what?

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I stopped giving advice to the majority of people who ask me about guns.
    This is the enlightened state, and the end-state along the path of firearms and shooting knowledge.

The early-to-middle state is that of the OP; learning new things, and concerned that others don't know what he knows, or think what he thinks. Some never leave this state, others like yourself move on to true enlightenment. Others still make a career out of talking on the radio/internet/facebook about the topic and thus refuse to ever reach true enlightenment thanks to the almighty dollar and minor celebrity.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Talking about buying cool gear leads to talking about using it and that sometimes leads to people becoming better shooters. Welcome it, do what you can.
    This is, or can be, also true. But it's also probably not worth the time invested, nor the headaches involved.

The most important thing is to get a gun. I used to answer the "I'm planning on buying a bushmaster..." question with "don't, get a Colt, here's 95 reasons why" to "yep, that's awesome, you should hurry before they sell out!" it's really irrelevant what gun they buy, they just need to buy a gun. Ain't nobody getting training, competing, or otherwise improving if they don't have a gun, and everyone that has a gun is that much less likely to vote for or support some gun-control-advocating parasite (aka "politician").

User Tag List