Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Secure Are Home Alarm Systems?

You can certainly find fault with any system. I take comfort in knowing that last time I called to report a trespasser, 10 minutes later there was a K9 unit and several deputies searching our woods. Granted, it could have been 10 minutes too long...
    Taking a break from social media.

Alarms are a Priority One in my city. They are supposed to be dispatched in a minute. The response times vary depending on what area of the city you're in. The devil in the details is the time it takes for the alarm company to notify the PD of the alarm. Radio Shack used to be 15+ minutes since they were dispatching they're alarms from a corporate office. If it's stormy or we go to Phase One they drop to a priority 2. Those will take 45-60 minutes to get dispatched usually.

The other thing is burglars don't spend a lot of time in places they know are alarmed. Smash and grab guys are in and out in less then a minute. Residential burglars will spend more time inside.

I listen for alarm calls that aren't commonly dispatched. Those are usually money for K9. At least a search if it's a good burg.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    You can certainly find fault with any system. I take comfort in knowing that last time I called to report a trespasser, 10 minutes later there was a K9 unit and several deputies searching our woods. Granted, it could have been 10 minutes too long...
    Roger That! AND this is why we must continue to fight to keep our 2A Rights! The alarm is part of an overall plan and and the 2A part fills the gap when there is only me and the bad guy!

BYOK9 (Bring Your Own K9)
    #RESIST

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Apparently, failing with no indication something is wrong is par for the course. According to the article, this is an industry-wide issue.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I've always said that with an alarm at least you know someone will check on your stuff at some point. Also, the internal and external audible sirens can motivate a lot of guys to GTFO before they take anything substantial. It's also nice to activate the perimeter while sleeping so you don't get too surprised.

One thing I have been planning to do is to put to covert/hidden cameras facing in both directions of the street on or in my mailbox. These cameras would be low light versions specifically adapted to read license plates. It would be nice to have a video record of who's slow rolling my house while I'm gone and to have plates if and when something did happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Apparently, failing with no indication something is wrong is par for the course. According to the article, this is an industry-wide issue.
    Multiple layers

#RESIST

User Tag List