Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad day

Sad day

I got rid of the last two full size revolvers I owned. Both GP100s.
    I found that no matter how much I practiced I was short stroking the trigger at some point and temporarily tying the gun up.
    I don't have this issue with S&Ws or the LCRs from Ruger.
    Anyway, I wound up with some cash in my pocket and got an HK45 back that I regretted trading to my friend as soon as I had done it. I guess it wasn't all bad.

I had an incident at my house the other night that helped push me as well. I had three very aggressive dogs in my yard and was armed with a revolver. I knew these dogs were from across the street and were my neighbor's hunting dogs. I knew that even after shooting the first one the others would probably not run off because they were used to gunfire. My first thought after drawing down on the lead dog in the group was "why didn't I have my Glock 26 or my VP9 instead of this revolver?" I had two shots for each. I probably could have done it, but maybe I couldn't have. Maybe the first shot or two wouldn't have put them down.

Anyway, my neighbor heard me yelling at the dogs and came and got them. Yes, I was yelling at them because I wanted earwitneses or someone to look outside and witness what I was doing. Seemed silly yelling commands at a dog like that, but it paid off for me this time.

...should have recorded it, better than eye witnesses.

In the past year or so, both DocGKR and I have had similar epiphanies (there are some long and detailed threads here on the forum you can search out that we initiated) regarding revolvers and their viability with multiple assailants, particularly in limited light situations where both impacting on the desired target(s) and reloading can be problematic.

I enjoy my full-sized revolvers (in my case, Ruger GP100, Security Six (and a New Model Blackhawk), but I've become much more selective and discerning when and where I choose to utilize them for carry/defensive use. My "default" guns are much more likely be be semi-automatic pistols along the lines of Glock et al.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 12-28-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Maybe it's a generational thing, but I have never wanted to carry a sixgun as a primary defensive arm except in the backcountry, and even then I still prefer a semi. I own a few revolvers, and I like them for what they represent, but I look at them much like flintlocks: obsolete technology for my purposes today.

RIP…

The real place for the full size revolver these days for most of us is as a snub trainer. I am still in the "snub as deep concealment bug" first choice, and there are a ton of folks who are carrying snubs as primaries. These are very much rule one guns. Of course the other area where revolvers are good is ban states and areas with really bizarre magazine and ammunition restrictions.

Also, in the dog case, if I had a dog attached to an arm and need to contact shoot a couple off in a chaotic mess, the revolver may not be so bad as it seems on paper.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I've caught myself having similar feelings of "inadequate capacity" when I occasionally strap on a revolver as a primary in recent years. On the occasions I do leave the house so equipped, I always have a second revolver tagging along to help out on the odds. At home & in my shop, there is always immediate access to long guns if an extended engagement somehow occurs, so I don't stress the capacity so much.
    I have to admit that some mornings, especially in the last few months, I get to the door, think about it, turn around & walk back to the "Arms Room", hang up the 38/357 & put on a 9.

The sun would implode, and the universe would cease to exist if I were to divulge myself of .44 magnum revolvers.

I simply enjoy carrying a .44 in the outdoors way too much, and I hate chasing brass after taking shots at terroristic jack rabbits.

Besides that, the Rocky Mountain West and N Frame .44s go together like Cowgirls, steaks and cold Coors from a cooler in the back of a ranch truck!

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Revolvers would be a lot more fun if you didn't have to load the damn things so often.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KPD View Post
    I got rid of the last two full size revolvers I owned. Both GP100s.
    Seemed silly yelling commands at a dog like that, but it paid off for me this time.
    The "command voice" actually works well for dogs who are acclimated to taking commands from humans. I've used it a few times and each time it stopped them in their tracks.

Regarding revolvers vs semis, I'm still toting a j-frame 38 as my primary (OWB, AIWB, pocket). I know more is better, but my first exposure to centerfire handguns was a k-frame 38 snubbie (it imprinted on me like a baby duck) and subsequent forays into semi-autos weren't as positive (Beretta 92 is too big, the early Kahr K9 was unreliable, and the KT K32 was too weak). I never got a Glock because they were too pedestrian [/gun_hipster]. Fast forward 20 years and all my hand guns are DA revolvers except the Ruger Bearcat. Considering recent events of the last year, I feel like I should invest in a higher capacity semi and am looking strongly at the G19. I'm saving my nickels and dimes while I casually shop and research what I'd want (def 9mm, prefer >10rnds on board, ubiquity of parts and accessories a must).

I'm never retiring the j-frame though. I just love those little guns.

Chris

User Tag List