Thread: Ruger Vaqueros and Buffalo Bore

Site Supporter

Ruger Vaqueros and Buffalo Bore

This is NOT for me. Two old gun guys were debating whether it would be safe to shoot Buffalo Bore Heavy .44 Magnum +P+ in a Ruger SS Vaquero.

I told them to look up the pressure specs but they would rather babble. Thoughts?

Old ones should not be an issue......it is not like they will be shooting a lot of them. Once they light the first one, they will likely think standard pressure stuff is better. A little self education with touching the hot pot.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 01-05-2016 at 06:19 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I watched buffalo bore 44 mag "super duper whatever" seize up a Super RedHawk Alaskan after 2 shots (cylinder wouldn't even rotate). I never saw the point of super hot loaded 44 mag in a handgun. For the significant increase in recoil, the juice just doesn't seem to be worth the squeeze. I do shoot some hotter rounds out of me Marlin 1894, though (recoil isn't bothersome I'm that).

The BB Anti-Personnel Std Pressure 200 graidn HC Wadcutter would be the bee's knee's in Magnum or Special flavor! I have the Magnums in my Mountain Gun right now.

Ruger has not made a 44 Mag Vaquero since 2005. When Ruger changed to the new Vaquero in 2005, they limited production to .357 Mag, 45 Colt, and more recently 45 ACP. Unfortunately, Ruger doesn't specify ammunition type or pressure rates in either manual.

1993-2005 Ruger Vaquero Manual

2005-Present Ruger New Vaquero Manual

User Tag List