Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: New HiTS/Watson "Gamboa"

So I am looking at the GJM blade picture and the Nyeti blade picture and playing I spy with my little eye. The differences I spot are the GJM blade has a lanyard hole and also the G10 scale. Not sure what else.
    Last edited by DamonL; 01-04-2016 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    So I am looking at the GJM blade picture and the Nyeti blade picture and playing I spy with my little eye. The differences I spot are the GJM blade has a lanyard hole and also the G10 scale. Not sure what else.
    The grind line goes right into the tip on mine and Wayne's and is more upswept on GJM's. Final versions will likely be very close to GJM's depending on his thoughts with use combined with ours. We have one more going out to a very well respected trainer for his input as well.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    The raised portion at the tip adds some tip strength and penetration width. It also allows for some minor geometry changes as needed....plus, I just like it and it was the favored profile from an early mentor that worked well with some techniques he taught me.
    I can see tip strength and penetration width, it just looked like the added width, being dull, might make penetration somewhat harder than your original HiTS were there is basically uniform minimal friction on the spine side.

When you say "minor geometric changes" do you mean sharpening that clip?

I'd be curious about the techniques your mentor taught you, would you mind sharing them here?

One last question, the jimping near the handle seems "wider" than usual and reaches further up the knife as well, what is the reasoning behind that?

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I can see tip strength and penetration width, it just looked like the added width, being dull, might make penetration somewhat harder than your original HiTS were there is basically uniform minimal friction on the spine side.

When you say "minor geometric changes" do you mean sharpening that clip?

I'd be curious about the techniques your mentor taught you, would you mind sharing them here?

One last question, the jimping near the handle seems "wider" than usual and reaches further up the knife as well, what is the reasoning behind that?
    The design is for cutting first in a utility role using a standard grip. That jumping is to allow the thumb to control the blade when doing fine cutting or to add downward pressure. I really do not want to get into those techniques on a public forum. It is reverse grip based. This knife when switched from a forward grip to reverse grip blade in or blade out totally changes personality, and becomes a very functional defensive blade. Some thinning can be done to the swedge but right now we don't want to get into double edge issues with a blade primarily be done as a utility and travel knife. That swedge also ads some tip strength when used for light prying or if the tip strikes something hard.

Hope this helps.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Is he going to update his video with the new knife?
    When you find out who it is you will need to go into hiding for posting that

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    The grind line goes right into the tip on mine and Wayne's and is more upswept on GJM's. Final versions will likely be very close to GJM's depending on his thoughts with use combined with ours. We have one more going out to a very well respected trainer for his input as well.
    And that makes sense because GJM wants to skin some game. Thanks for the insight.

What material is the blade?

Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    What material is the blade?
    CPM154 on the first batch.

Reviewer of the Tools
    My original Hits Ti knife has become a treasured tool. Carried every night on duty on a neck lanyard under my exterior carrier.

I was waiting to purchase a Magni with Tracker Dan sheath for carry/use off duty as an EDC fixed blade. I love this new design and will definitely hold out and wait for one!!! Looks like a very useful profile and you have to love the heart and soul behind the design.

Please keep us updated as to when they will be available. Would love a thin blue line patterned one or a coyote G10 version like GJM's. A Tracker Dan sheath would also be preferable is available.

You guys and Joe are really knocking it out of the park lately

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    My original Hits Ti knife has become a treasured tool. Carried every night on duty on a neck lanyard under my exterior carrier.

I was waiting to purchase a Magni with Tracker Dan sheath for carry/use off duty as an EDC fixed blade. I love this new design and will definitely hold out and wait for one!!! Looks like a very useful profile and you have to love the heart and soul behind the design.

Please keep us updated as to when they will be available. Would love a thin blue line patterned one or a coyote G10 version like GJM's. A Tracker Dan sheath would also be preferable is available.

You guys and Joe are really knocking it out of the park lately
    Thanks, I could not be happier working with Joe. We already discussed a tracker Dan sheath option on the custom blades. I will also talk to Joe about the thin blue line as an option as well for LE folks. Often things I think are easy involve a lot of extra work that translates to real dollars to Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    nyeti, are you going to have it with you in LV in a couple of weeks?
    Most definitely. SHOT will really be its sort of debut.

User Tag List