Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hornady Critical Defense ammo (Accurate!!!) 9mm 115gn

It would be nice if Hornady offer the 135gr Critical Duty bullet as a reloading component.

I really wish the HAP bullets were more affordable, but at ¢11/bullet, that's way too much compared to what I am paying now (¢064/bullet).

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    The 124gr +P Gold Dot works very well through heavy winter clothing. Nothing to worry about there. It also tends to be accurate.

I've also found the 135gr +P Critical Duty to be very accurate.

Caleb Giddings was using the .38special for his match shooting due to accuracy from his guns
    Yup. I've found in multiple platforms/calibers/guns that the Critical Defense rounds are crazy accurate. Since I'm using them as match ammo for competition, penetration through barriers isn't a concern for me. What Critical Defense does for me that I really like is deliver match-grade/handload consistency and accuracy at a price I can afford to pay to use regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Yup. I've found in multiple platforms/calibers/guns that the Critical Defense rounds are crazy accurate. Since I'm using them as match ammo for competition, penetration through barriers isn't a concern for me. What Critical Defense does for me that I really like is deliver match-grade/handload consistency and accuracy at a price I can afford to pay to use regularly.
    In context it ain't bad defensive ammo either IMHO
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    In context it ain't bad defensive ammo either IMHO
    It is what I carry as well; mostly because I keep it on hand for accuracy testing and I'm too lazy to keep Ranger-T 147s on hand.

My logic for settling upon Critical Defense is that I wanted to avoid +p in my PM9 which I carry when I can't carry my G19. The nice thing about the PM9 and Glock 19 is obviously the logistics of ammo compatibility. In keeping with the logistics, I just assume to use the same load of 9mm for both. Maybe my logic is flawed, but that was part of my decision process.

That is not a bad plan at all. A few people that I know who are on limited budgets have stuck with the 9mm Critical Defense for their CCW guns since recoil and POI is the same as easy to get practice ammo like WWB and Federal 115gr ball.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I struggled to shoot groups smaller than oranges in my .40s using a variety of ball ammo. 165gr Critical Defense allowed me to empty magazines into lime-size holes or smaller at the same range. Switching back and forth proved it was a repeatable result: it was the ammo, not me. Took some shooting with a buddy, and the same thing happened. I struggled to put a decent group on target with his pistols, but did well with mine. When I looked at his target, he had groups that were no better than mine with his pistols that he's owned and shot for 25 years. There was one lime-sized group, however, which he confirmed he shot with my pistol. He later bought some of the Hornady and confirmed the result with his own pistols.

I no longer have time to listen to people who insist that ammo doesn't make much difference. You can't practice enough to overcome inherently inaccurate ammo.

That was an important but expensive lesson, as it caused me to invest in reloading equipment.

Hornady HAP bullets for competition are known for their accuracy. I bought a box of 115gr .355 for accuracy testing in a .38 super and found them the best of the bullets I sampled. Pretty sure the HAP is their standard HP without the skivvys and other technicalities for expansion. Occasionally one can find them on sale.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Midway has a bunch of "Factory Seconds" right now. They are generally Hornady product, and a few of the SKUs are HAPs. I've bought the FS bullets before, and you need to inspect them, as I have come across dimensional oddball individuals. I reckon the lots get rejected or set aside if they know a few goofy ones got through, rather than attempt to sort them all. Good for practice. Questionable for competition, depending on how much a flyer would mean to your overall program.

User Tag List