Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Critical Defense ammo (Accurate!!!) 9mm 115gn

Hornady Critical Defense ammo (Accurate!!!) 9mm 115gn

Just a quick review on the Hornady "Critical Defense" ammo. Specifically the 115gn 9mm loads.

I was at the range checking loads/sights with several different loads. Some practice, some self/home defense.

Just wanted to info those who my care, that the "Hornady Critical Defense" ammo was AMAZINGLY accurate!!!

I was shooting mostly practice ammo, and sighting in, but of course, wanted to see where my self/home defense loads were hitting.

I have the Barnes TacXPD and the Hornadys. (both 115 grains)

The practice ammo is pretty much the least expensive stuff I can find at "Fleet Farm"

While I heard the Tanfoglio pistols are very accurate, I wasn't completely blown away with the practice ammo....or even the Barnes. It was good, but not amazing They would hold 3" @25 yards.

Then I tried the Hornady Critical Defense. Now THAT is amazing accuracy!!!! Literally a 5 shot group in 1" at 25 yards!!!

This WILL be my winter self/home defense ammo! I'd still like to try the Speer Gold dot as it is so highly regarded, but for winter (think heavy coats and/or leather) the Critical defense is supposed to open up more reliably...just not as big. I'll save the Barnes for summer or until I can get some of the Speer Gold Dots. If the Speer shoot anything like the Hornady, the Barnes will be practice fodder.

The gun used was a Tanfoglio Witness Elite Limited Pro (4.8" Polygonal barrel).
    Just wanted to pass this along for anyone looking for good defense ammo.

P.S. @ 25 yards, the POI is pretty much the same as the practice crap I shoot.

Cool. I found their .45 ACP +P load with a 220 grain bullet to be extremely accurate also. Tamara noted she had seen that load chrono'd with an ave deviation in single digits.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I have been told that Critical Defense performs poorly against intermediate barriers, and that Critical Duty is only marginally better. When I took Vehicle CQB with William Petty, he stated that Hornady should be ashamed of themselves for putting those rounds on the market, although that was from a LE POV, where penetration of auto glass, metal, etc. was just as important as penetration against clothing (which I have been told Critical Defense does adequately).

The 124gr +P Gold Dot works very well through heavy winter clothing. Nothing to worry about there. It also tends to be accurate.

I've also found the 135gr +P Critical Duty to be very accurate.

Caleb Giddings was using the .38special for his match shooting due to accuracy from his guns
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I have been told that Critical Defense performs poorly against intermediate barriers, and that Critical Duty is only marginally better. When I took Vehicle CQB with William Petty, he stated that Hornady should be ashamed of themselves for putting those rounds on the market, although that was from a LE POV, where penetration of auto glass, metal, etc. was just as important as penetration against clothing (which I have been told Critical Defense does adequately).
    I've specifically asked William about that and gotten zero in the way of details. In my car shooting I've not noted the Duty to be any worse than many other bonded pistol rounds.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

One of the larger agencies in LA. tested several brands of 9mm ammunition late 2015 and one of the people involved told me they were going with 135+P Critical Duty. At this time I do not know if they followed through on purchasing this ammunition.

Standard pressure 135 grain Critical Duty is my carry ammo, mainly because I couldn't find Gold Dot or HST available at the time I bought it. I ran a mag worth of it over my chrono a while back, and it averaged just over its advertised velocity (+4 FPS) out of my Walther P99c (3.5" barrel) with an SD of only 8. It may not be the best self defense ammo out there, but as far as its accuracy and consistency go, color me impressed. I'm not surprised to hear that Critical Defense is good in the accuracy department, given that they probably employ similarly good QC practices on all of their "premium" ammunition lines.
    Last edited by olstyn; 01-03-2016 at 04:27 PM.

Reading their webpage, I think I will switch to the Critical DUTY as the critical defense is optimized for smaller guns,and not designed to take on heavier barriers than heavy clothing and the critical duty is optimized for full size guns, and heavier barriers.

I have also read that the Critical Duty passes ALL barrier tests in FBI testing.

I think it was jlw a couple years back who posted about observing Critical Duty run through the ringer of LE barrier tests and it performed as well as the Hornady site's data, which is pretty strong on the penetration side albeit average on expanded diameter.

My bad. I'm reading Critical Defense but "seeing" Critical Duty in my head. FWIW this was jlw's thread about the Duty brand I referenced. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=Critical+Duty

Pretty good results
    Last edited by JHC; 01-03-2016 at 05:19 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

For what it's worth, I represented my agency at a Hornady demo about a year and a half ago, where they were shooting Critical Duty into gel through various barriers (denim, glass, metal, and maybe wood?). It performed well in the tests...I think they were mainly shooting 9mm and .45.

They also demo'd some of their rifle rounds...the .223 did ok, but they had a pretty impressive .308 load...I think it was a lighter bullet, but it did better than we thought it would.

They did show us their .38 and .380 Critical Duty rounds, and did mention that they would not do well against barriers.

User Tag List