Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How can you not have a pocket carry option?

I've been using the Safariland Model 25 with a J Frame on Yeti's recommendation and find it is a great holster. Since I work a lot in Kaliforistan I need to keep a low profile. My carry will be the 640 Pro in the pocket and the 340PD on the ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    on Yeti's recommendation and find it is a great holster.
    That was autocorrect, right?

I've been trying pocket carry since the revolver roundup in October, and am liking it so far. With a M&P 340 it's very comfortable and unobtrusive. In the office a pants pocket works well, and a transfer to an outside jacket pocket when driving or outside for a while has been pretty simple. I'm still fine-tuning the garment choice, having learned the hard way that pocket size and depth varies considerably from brand to brand... still working on the outer garment, one of my jackets the pocket is a little too big.

I don't need a lot of heavy layers here unless there's a need to be outside all day, typical "winter" weather is 50s with frequent rain, so a light gore-tex jacket over a light fleece is about it. Pocket carry might actually be easier with a heavier coat, I should pull out the old long dark gray wool coat that normally only gets inland big city office use and see how it works... could probably hide almost anything in or under that.

For higher risk situations I'll still strap on the P2000. However pocket carrying the J-frame means I'm more likely to carry pretty much everywhere it's legal, which for me is everything except the post office and (rarely) a few other locations. As always there will be periodic re-evaluation especially whenever my daily routine changes, for now this is working well.
    Last edited by Salamander; 01-03-2016 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    We've had about two weeks of "real" winter weather here and the practicality of pocket carry has been driven home even more for me.
    My pocket carried Kahr PM9 is far faster into action than anything around my waist when wearing winter clothes, and it's ridiculously fast when you already have your hand inside the pocket (which is completely natural looking in cold weather).
    How can you justify not having a pocket carry option, especially during the winter?
    For me, pocket carry is a niche/last-resort specialty, a lot like a bellyband. I makes me paranoid as hell for some reason, so I avoid it when I can, but I end up doing it maybe 1-2 times a year. I don't own any pants that would work with it, so for me it's coat pocket only. I used to use shrouded-hammer J-frame, but now I use a G43. No holster, and nothing else in the pocket with the handgun--can't have it swimming around with other stuff. And it's in my hand a lot of the time that it's in there.

Okie John

Everyday,a 340PD in my right front pants pocket in AHolster kydex. A 640Pro AIWB in a Desantis 36. On each ankle a 642 in Desantis Apache holsters. When it is cool out a mdl 38 in my right pocket of my LL BEAN ranch coat ,no holster.
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Doesn't everyone have a 642/442 for this!
    Well, it's a 432PD, actually.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    I've been using the Safariland Model 25 with a J Frame on Yeti's recommendation and find it is a great holster. Since I work a lot in Kaliforistan I need to keep a low profile. My carry will be the 640 Pro in the pocket and the 340PD on the ankle.
    Yeti (Steve Fisher, good pal and fellow trainer has longer legs than me). Thanks to Duluth Firehouse, I can pocket carry a 640 PRO. I also use a Safariland 27 for IWB with it. The M&P340 is carried daily in a cargo pocket of my pants as a BUG.

Back when I was doing EP work on a contract where I made a lot of contacts with folks, I had Tim Thurner make me a pocket holster for my chore coat to carry a HK P7. I talked to everyone with a hand on a gun, but looked very non-aggressive.

Not a huge fan for primary carry, love it for a BUG role.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Pocket carriers have done very well vs. robbers from what I've seen. Your "timer" doesn't start until the bad guy realizes you are resisting. Slowly going for a pocket gun looks the same as giving up a wallet or car keys if you do it right.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 01-03-2016 at 08:28 PM.

Buddy is considering a LCR in .327 Federal for pocket carry -- thoughts?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Buddy is considering a LCR in .327 Federal for pocket carry -- thoughts?
    Probably as good a choice as any.

Yeti is on the left...Nyeti on the right.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List