Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How can you not have a pocket carry option?

I have one of these:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

wearing one of these:

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com...1/MVC-173F.JPG

filled with these:

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/CCI-S...el-p/53921.htm

and stuffed into one of these:

https://www.galcogunleather.com/fron..._8_7_1122.html

It is quick to deploy, powerful yet controllable, and the most accurate pistol I own. The holster is too large for pocket carry with jeans, but perfect for a coat. It lives in my left coat pocket in the winter, and I spend a lot of time doing left hand drills with just one hand. I deliberately seek out classes where I can shoot a J-frame left-handed for the class.

Yeah, I'm a J-frame junkie. I own four, and am buying two more after I finish paying for all these Form 1's and Form 4's.

Yep, I like pocket carry. We've got a pretty good blanket of snow on the ground and overnight temp was - 4 F. (That might be considered 'balmy' in some northern climes, but its not exactly t-shirt weather.) Have a thick bulky jacket on. I often wear Duluth cargo pants and the G26 in a kydex pocket holster works well for me. I wear a good gun belt and was used to carrying a fullsize steel 1911 for many years, so I hardly notice the pocketed G26. YMMV

The only real reason I still keep a S&W 642 around is that it works very well in the hand warmer pocket of a heavy coat.

Not that I need one this year. While you have been getting snow and cold, I was walking my dog on Christmas day wearing a short sleeve shirt! Not something one expects in my area this time of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    We've had about two weeks of "real" winter weather here and the practicality of pocket carry has been driven home even more for me.
    My pocket carried Kahr PM9 is far faster into action than anything around my waist when wearing winter clothes, and it's ridiculously fast when you already have your hand inside the pocket (which is completely natural looking in cold weather).
    How can you justify not having a pocket carry option, especially during the winter?
    Because it's not authorized by my agency.

Unfortunate, but plain and simple if I want the protections of acting as a LEO.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

For me they were only faster if I considered shooting from inside my coat pocket. Now that I am semi-retired I just don't spend hours in the snow. I go from the truck to the public building. The coat becomes an emergency item for the breakdown and such. It stays in the vehicle. Every building in my neck of the woods is heated against the 0-32 degree temps. So I just wear my normal shirt as always except it is a long-sleeved version. I'm only cold for about ten seconds. Then I'm inside the building.

If you have to be outside for work or play then it starts making more sense. As a LEO I hated wearing a coat. I used the layering idea and had everything tucked in. For CCW I used to tuck everything in but the outer fleece jacket. I could draw just as fast as a tshirt with a bit of practice. This became a problem when going out to eat. Two trips to the bathroom to remove the jacket and untuck the shirt and then reversing the process became a bit much for me. Hence leaving the jacket in the vehicle.

BTW: Shooting from inside the coat pocket reminded me of the Gordon Graham story of the top CHP drug interdiction officer that had such poor officer safety by leaving his hands in his coat pockets during every traffic stop. After yelling at the officer to take his hands out of his coat pockets when a captain was around, the officer took out his hands with a revolver in each. Moral of the story was perceptions can be deceiving. Not sure how true the story is but it did make me laugh. Just imaged the pockets exploding being the last thing the BG saw.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

I've been toying with the idea of a J frame as a coat pocket gun for a while, but haven't done it yet. I don't see how actual pants pocket carry would work for me except in a rare pinch or two.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Because it's not authorized by my agency.

Unfortunate, but plain and simple if I want the protections of acting as a LEO.
    Mine doesn't either. Glocks only, period. Thank God Virginia has shall issue CWP.
    I have been living with a 442 as an EDC since being out of work with my back. I couldn't stand anything on my belt until today. Wore a Colt DS for nine hours. May try my off duty G27 tomorrow.

Site Supporter
    Doesn't everyone have a 642/442 for this!
    642 and a 432! Just got a warmer coat that allows you to reach from your outside pocket into your pants front pocket. Also good for discrete scratching.

The 432 was my Bug today. What a nice light J.

Duluth Firehose pants for the win when it comes to pocket carry, fleece lined Firehose pants for the win when it was in the 20's, 35mph winds and snowing.
    I use a El Paso Saddlery pocket holster for the PM9 when wearing these pants. The outline of the gun is well hidden by the flap of the thigh pocket which is in the perfect spot to aid concealment and the front pockets are large and deep.

Did some range work today.
    Starting with my right hand in my front pocket on the grip of my PM9 (basically my normal winter stance because I don't wear gloves) I was <1 second (usually right around .90) to an A zone hit at 7Y, slowest fumbled draw was 1.2.
    Doing the same thing with HK45C AIWB in a Shaggy, my ArcTeryx jacket zipped up, hand position was both hands in my front pockets but thumbs out and under the jacket hem (again, a somewhat natural hand position). A zone at 7Y was consistently in the 1.5 range but did drift into the 2's when the jacket and shirt didn't cooperate and I had to double clutch it.
    Unzipped jacket was worse because sweeping the jacket and pulling up the shirt was like a monkey buggering a football, it rarely went right and any wind turned it into a complete mess.
    Last edited by JodyH; 01-03-2016 at 04:58 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Pocket carry works well when wearing a parka and down vest under it. The large lower parka pocket carries a g19 upside down, muzzle rearwards. Spare mags in the other side lower and hand warmer pockets.

Sometimes am wearing larger belt gun under all that, but they aren't very easy to get to quickly.

Carhartts work great for pocket carry also. A j and speedloader in the R pocket, speed strip in watch pocket. Have carried the g19 in the R pocket a few times. Can see the butt if looking straight down into the pocket. if wearing a down vest, it disappears well.
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-03-2016 at 04:47 PM.

User Tag List