Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How can you not have a pocket carry option?

Site Supporter
    This just happened to be in my BookFace feed a few minutes ago.

"An apartment occupant was robbed at gunpoint but managed to open fire with his own handgun through his jacket pocket."

http://concealednation.org/2016/02/a...jacket-pocket/
    Last edited by scjbash; 02-02-2016 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    This, from RKBA Holsters. The little "ears", tabs, whatever on the upper corners keep the holster in your pocket. I've been using them for 6+ years now. He makes one to my specs with only one thickness of leather, that makes for a perfect pocket holster in my estimation. He wouldn't warranty that, citing he was concerned it wouldn't hold up. But I've still got the original he made like that, sweat-stained and worn smooth, that is still serviceable.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...0&mode=overlay

If I can remember, I'll post a pic or two of mine with some further comments when I get home.

Here ya go, bud. Looks pretty beat-up, but still works like a champ. The last shot shows the single-thickness cowhide; he normally uses two layers, but that of course adds to the overall thickness. This "thinness" you see here rides better in semi-dress slacks. The Kramer offering, mentioned earlier, was my gold standard for a long time… until I stumbled upon this guy. The Kramer is a LOT thicker than this, and while its backing piece of leather makes it look like a wallet instead of a holster, its still a pretty big lump in your pocket. This RKBA offering carries beautifully; and much more low-profile. And I was wrong on the longevity; checking back, I purchased this over TEN years ago, and wore it almost every day until switching to my left front pocket a few years ago.

You will note that I trimmed the top edge down just below the rear of the cylinder. If you don't do this, the leather above that point will curl in a bit. It doesn't obstruct the draw at all, but makes it a bit of a PITA to re-holster. Preferences, and all of that…
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I will also second the RKBA holsters. I have a pair of their J-frame models (one lefty, one righty) and a G42 lefty as well. All are very comfy, and last for years.

I pose this with no sarcasm:

What is one to do with the pocketed pistol? I gather the utility if one is outside in actual winter weather (if your broadcast meteorologist freaks out at snowfall above 2", you don't live there) , but you eventually have to de-coat. In some places -like the girlfriends family homestead- you'll be socially obligated to hang your coat somewhere less then accessible,such as a closet. And most closets have doors.

Then you must either run to the closet Should Trouble Arise, or carry a second pistol carried under the coat. Then there's the troubling issue of an unsecured weapon left in a pocket out of my control. In most areas it won't be socially acceptable to pull a firearm out of a jacket pocket and relocate it to an on-person setup, only to reverse the process before going outside.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I typically have a J frame in my pants pocket along with my primary pistol. I can move it to a coat pocket and back again as needed.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    What is one to do with the pocketed pistol? I gather the utility if one is outside in actual winter weather (if your broadcast meteorologist freaks out at snowfall above 2", you don't live there) , but you eventually have to de-coat. In some places -like the girlfriends family homestead- you'll be socially obligated to hang your coat somewhere less then accessible,such as a closet. And most closets have doors.

Then you must either run to the closet Should Trouble Arise, or carry a second pistol carried under the coat. Then there's the troubling issue of an unsecured weapon left in a pocket out of my control. In most areas it won't be socially acceptable to pull a firearm out of a jacket pocket and relocate it to an on-person setup, only to reverse the process before going outside.
    I pose this with no sarcasm: You should probably re-read those posts.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

For kydex I have the AHolster standard pocket holster. They also offer another one that is slimmer and shorter for shallower pockets.
    I like that I can reholster without taking the holster out of my pocket.

http://shop.aholster.com/main.sc
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I pose this with no sarcasm:

Um, j-frame in coat pocket driving to work; arrival at parking lot transfer j-frame to pants pocket. Leaving work? Conduct in reverse before leaving the office. It really isn't all that insurmountable an issue.

Without sarcasm, if your GF will be upset about the transfer process, then you have issues WHOLLY unrelated to the pocket or non-pocket of firearms.

LSP972,

What are those grips on your J-Frame?

Most of the discussion here seems centered on the idea that Pocket Carry = Winter Carry.

Having lived 30+ years in Phoenix and now living in The Sunshine State, Winter = "Anything lower than 60 Degrees". Because of this, pocket carry for me has always been about the times when the dress code prevents me from carrying in a holster on my waist. I'm not LEO, I'm an office drone in a veal pen, and I've been fortunate in that everywhere I've worked for the past ten years that has a "business casual" dress code either didn't mention guns in their employee manual or banned "dangerous and illegal" weapons.

It ain't dangerous if it's in my holster, and it sure ain't illegal.

Business casual pretty much mandates one of four options: Off body carry, pocket carry, tuckable IWB with discreet belt hooks, or ankle carry. I chose pocket carry because it was fast, discreet and didn't require me to keep tabs on a bag in my cube.

The other advantage of pocket carry is that negates any reason not to have a gun with you. If there is a pocket on your trousers, you can be armed.

If (and how often) you wear trousers is a topic for another thread.

User Tag List