Thread: S&W 686 Plus

S&W 686 Plus

I'm having trouble getting my 686 to come out of lockup, and was wondering if anyone else had experienced similar issues
    with their 686. This is a new gun, 200-400 rounds fired (mostly .38's).
    Its under warranty, so I guess I'll be shipping it back to S&W.

Thanks,
    Archer

What does "out of lock-up" mean? Can't open the cylinder? Cylinder locks up while pulling the trigger? Something else?

Yes, the cylinder doesn't open easily, its sticking and I really have to fight it to open it.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Yes, the cylinder doesn't open easily, its sticking and I really have to fight it to open it.
    I think the go-to if it just randomly started doing it is to make sure the ejector rod isn't unscrewed and there's no crud under the extractor star. I had a 686 with an ejector rod that started to unscrew itself after a little shooting. This is the tool to set it correctly without loctite/pliers.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I think the go-to if it just randomly started doing it is to make sure the ejector rod isn't unscrewed and there's no crud under the extractor star. I had a 686 with an ejector rod that started to unscrew itself after a little shooting. This is the tool to set it correctly without loctite/pliers.
    This is likely your issue. First check the ejector rod for looseness, then make sure the cylinder area under the extractor star is clean. A standard item I carried on the line during our revolver days was a tooth brush; you would be surprised how easily crud from bulk/cheap reloads finds it way into nooks and crannies. And a few grains of unburned powder under the star can tie a revolver up completely. That's why many of roll our eyes at the "experts" who proclaim loudly that "revolvers never jam!" Wrong...

If the problem persists, the next thing to check is the area between the bolt face and the frame. The bolt is the part that rides inside the frame; the external thumb piece, which you push forward to unlatch the cylinder, is attached to it. A grain of unburned powder that has found its way here can prevent the bolt from moving all the way forward and smoothly pushing the cylinder center pin out of engagement with the recoil shield.

Of course, this requires a detail-strip. If you're not comfortable doing that, I'd leave it alone. If you know how to properly remove/re-install the side plate, you can access the area with compressed air.

There are several other possibilities, all requiring the services of a competent armorer. But I think jh9 pretty well nailed it. This is not an uncommon occurrence.

Site Supporter
    This ^^^^

I just had this issue with a m-29.

Yep.

Bear in mind that it's reverse threaded.

Okie John

jh9, LSP972, HCM, okie john, Thank you.

You guys nailed it, the extractor rod had unscrewed about 1/2 turn.
    That's all it took to cause the impedance.

I would have never known that the extractor rod was threaded, much less that it had a reverse thread.

The underside of the extractor star was super-clean. I'll be watching that area.

All this tells me, I still have a lot to learn about my revolver.

I can't tell you how grateful I am. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
    Thanks to you guys, I can once again enjoy my revolver!

Gratefully,
    Archer

I love happy endings.

User Tag List