Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife andTactics Questions

Knife andTactics Questions

Well here I am agian with more questions because Ithink to much about some things. After reading DOCGKR's thread on training with Kyle it got me thinking about edged weapons. I normally carry a pocket knife for every day utilitarian needs (cutting car belts, wire, boxes, food, etc.) I also carry a Blackhawk Cruicible II for SD. I never use to Crucible for ANYTHING that way it stays razor sharp. In Doc post and the comment that followed it seems that people who know more about knife fighting than I ever will now carry a fixed blade because under stress you will not be able to open a folder when you need to. While I am sure that is probably true the question that continues to run through my mind is why do I carry a knife for Sd when I have 1 or 2 guns on me all the time? I know if it turns into a struggle and the gun cannot be drawn it can be used to create space so you can draw but at what point if you are just simply getting your ass kicked is it acceptable to pull a knife? I am just having a hard time creating a scenario in my mind for this.

My other question is while looking for a fixed blade I have come across 2 that look promising the Blackhawk Kalista II and the ESEE Izula. Does anyone have experience with either?

As always thanks for the help and insight.

I have been knocking around with the Izula and factory IWB sheath and it's a very nice little knife. It is SOOO light that it is the best knife for running I have tried.

I've also got a Crucible with the factory sheath and the RCS AIWB sheath. The Izula solution is not quite as "neat" as the RCS+Crucible but it seems close in terms of utility to me. It is a good deal smaller than the Crucible and even though it carries more upright than the RCS Crucible rig, it is very low profile.

I have no HSLD knife bonifides however.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

This may sound really stupid, but...
    On the off chance your pistol goes down hard, having a fixed blade is more than nothing.

I've spent a ton of time with the knife stuff. The Strider DB fixed blade that is very popular with Mil/L/E folks was designed to my specifications back in the early 90's to address many of these issues and to provide a tool that could function as a last ditch or back up weapon for LEO's. Small fixed blades work very well in close quarters and are a very viable as a self defense tool. The key with them is that they often are illegal for concealed carry. They are not considered favorably for self defense tools by the media and public (this is a potential issue for court later). With that said they are very efficient. I can probably do more damage to an opponent faster and doing far more extensive damage than with a firearm in very close quarters.

Folders offer a better route for legality, and public acceptance. They require more practice and training to be able to deploy under stress as a weapon. For what its worth during force on force training against full time uniformed police officers, I was able to deploy a folding knife and win every confrontation without fail. It just requires a lot more training and more ideal circumstances than the fixed blade.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 10-05-2011 at 08:31 AM. Reason: wrong year

I like a Lagriffe on a key chain.

I can palm it in my hand, and the sparkly-dangly keys act as cover. After all, I've got keys in my hand, not a knife.

I can flick the keys at someone as an opening distraction, or take the keys in my other hand as my hand with the knife drifts low and you barely see the little slim black knife in my right hand as you are looking at they keys in my left.

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Shooter View Post
    ...the question that continues to run through my mind is why do I carry a knife for Sd when I have 1 or 2 guns on me all the time?
    As has been noted, at close-quarters, a knife has the potential to do more extensive damage, faster than a firearm. It cannot suffer a stoppage and does not require reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Shooter View Post
    ...I know if it turns into a struggle and the gun cannot be drawn it can be used to create space so you can draw but at what point if you are just simply getting your ass kicked is it acceptable to pull a knife? I am just having a hard time creating a scenario in my mind for this.
    A knife may or may not be of benefit if someone is punching or kicking you into unconsciousness. It does have enormous benefit if someone is trying to choke you into unconsciouness or if you wind up in a wrestling match over one of your firearms.

As with a firearm, the mere posession of a knife will not necessarily confer the benefits of having one. Training on how to deploy and employ it contextually and some degree of sustainment training are required.
    C Class shooter.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I view a small, fixed-blade knife as a way to get someone off of me long enough for me to get to my gun. (On the assumption that I'm in this situation because I couldn't get to my gun in the first place) While there are certainly people out there who are bigger, stronger, and more skilled than me in hand to hand fighting systems, I've noticed that when someone produces an edged weapon and gets stabby that the dominant human instinct is to get the hell away from that.

My recommendation for a small SD fixed blade is the Bark River STS-3. It is always a good idea to have a knife on you everywhere you go. There are some places you can legally carry a knife but not a gun. There are also situations, limited as they are, where a knife is a wiser choice than a gun, say in a crowded elevator or extremely crowded place in general where you just need to break away from a threat. I am a huge proponent of the fixed blade as it requires no skill to open under stress and you never have to worry about a lock failing. If you want to see how weak most folders are, open them and smack them spine first on a hard surface 4 or 5 times. If the lock fails and it closes, you might as well throw that knife away because it is an acident waiting to happen.

...under stress you will not be able to open a folder when you need to. While I am sure that is probably true...
    Without commenting on the rest of the post, I would have to disagree with the above as a "truth". Like nyeti said, it can be done and it has been done. I've had a couple of high stress situations where I was able to draw and deploy my off-side folder, and I'm sure there are others.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

The same logic applies to knives as it does firearms- Take a good class if you are interested in purchasing one.

I had been carrying a knife in one form or another for over twenty years when I took my first knife focused training class. The local two day class was reasonably priced, and was a complete eye opener on martial arts and close quarter fighting. It created all kinds of new options I had never thought of when dealing with a threat at arms length distances.

I carry a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian which is a folder. While a fixed knife would be more optimal, I feel confident in being able to produce the folder in time of need, and it blends well with my business casual attire.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List