Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Vickers Advanced Marksmanship Class

Larry Vickers Advanced Marksmanship Class

I'm set to take the 1-Day Advanced Pistol Marksmanship Class from LAV in a few months, and I'm wondering what EXACTLY to expect.

From the Alias website:
    Eight mentally fatiguing hours on the range making each and every shot count. This course defines the technical aspects of marksmanship, specifically relating to the service pistol. Larry Vickers gives students his take on the mechanical accuracy of the service pistol, and what we can realistically expect to see in real world conditions. Students can expect extensive trigger control diagnostics, dissection of the principles of marksmanship, and challenging courses of fire that are anything but basic. This course is a unique opportunity to focus on the fundamentals of marksmanship, and further develop these skills in order to break through that next plateau.
    Has anyone here taken it?

Thanks,

Okie John

Wonder if he uses hit factor scoring for the courses of fire?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I've taken his two day version and actually was the course host/sponsor. Nyeti has taken it in the LA area. It's very disciplined, deliberate and accurate shooting and like it says, you'll be gassed at the end of the day. You likely won't shoot over 300 rounds, but they will be 300 dedicated and focused rounds. It's worth the effort, time and expense if my experience is any indicator.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Wonder if he uses hit factor scoring for the courses of fire?
    B-8 bull centers throughout, GJM, with lots of scoring by the rings on the B-8.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 01-01-2016 at 04:38 PM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I've taken his two day version and actually was the course host/sponsor. Nyeti has taken it in the LA area. It's very disciplined, deliberate and accurate shooting and like it says, you'll be gassed at the end of the day. You likely won't shoot over 300 rounds, but they will be 300 dedicated and focused rounds. It's worth the effort, time and expense if my experience is any indicator.
    Perfect.

Thank you.

Okie John

B-8 bull centers throughout, GJM, with lots of scoring by the rings on the B-8.
    I took his 1-day pistol / 1-day rifle weekend combo and that was the structure for both. Dedicated and exhaustive trigger drills for both systems. Lots of simple drills and practice exercises to take home. Instruction and explanation provided was GTG. It was worth the time and I would take it again, or the two day OP asked about.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Is this the one at Insight? I'm debating burning some vacation time to attend.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Tree_Octopus View Post
    Is this the one at Insight? I'm debating burning some vacation time to attend.
    Yep. 21 MAR 16.

Okie John

I took the 3 day class that he did with Rob Leatham. We shot all day on bullseye targets. We shot for accuracy and speed. With LAV's background, accuracy is really emphasized. "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final" is more than just a cool sayings, it is his emphasis. We shot all drills on a timer for a par time. Misses, or anything outside the 9 ring were penalized with time. If you went a bit fast, but only pulled a shot, you could pass par. Go too fast and the penalties for missing made you not make par time. At the end of the day, we shot "The Humbler" drill. It is a great test of all around ability. Great course, well worth the time.

Sounds like a great class.

User Tag List