Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Self defense against neighbor's dog?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    Sounds like a preemptive strike of a steak soaked in anti-freeze thrown in the dog's backyard should be in order.
    I get that you're trying to be humorous, but I'm surprised anyone on this board would even suggest something like that. I don't have any interest in killing the dog; I just want its owner to establish firm control/leash it when outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    As has been said some (most) dogs are just posturing retards (mine does it in a way similar to BaiHu's, lots of running around and barking until he gets some love) but that's no reason to compromise your personal security. BB is right, there are a lot of less than lethal options that will probably work great. Chatting up the neighbor might help too if they're friendly and receptive.
    Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    I feel like this deserves more highlight. If you get to know your neighbor, then you will know ahead of time if it's the dogs or the owner that's going to be the real problem.
    I definitely intend to speak with him about it when/if the opportunity arises, and I figure I'll try to frame it as looking out for the dog's well being in terms of if it bites the little old lady two garages down from me, she won't be able to defend herself and the dog would likely be destroyed by the authorities at that point. The problem is that he's the boyfriend/baby daddy of the daughter of the person who owns the unit in question, so it's a bit of a weird situation.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-Mini-.../dp/B0019LZTKU

Shooting a dog sucks, even when you have to. Air horns are fantastic, though. Dogs will do a forward roll trying to stop and then backing up. They also remember. I used to have issues with dogs while bicycling in rural areas and an airhorn in the water bottle holder convinced them to leave me be.
    Interesting. Not sure if I'm willing to carry one more thing, as I only have so many pockets, but especially in the biking context, I can see the utility.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If you're worried about the backstop, just take the bite, and then point blank shoot the dog. It's not a Cane Corso. Or take the bite, beat the shit out of the dog, and sue. Also get it on record if the dog is an actual problem and not just barking. Call your local ACO (Animal Control Officer). You could also tell the neighbor if the dog rushes out barking again, you'll talk to the authorities. Odds are that the dog was doing nothing different than a Lab rushing out barking.
    Yeah, I figure it probably was just barking, but for the few seconds it was running at me and barking, it seemed like more than that, and it served as a bit of a "what if" wakeup call for me.
    Last edited by olstyn; 12-31-2015 at 03:41 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Interesting. Not sure if I'm willing to carry one more thing, as I only have so many pockets, but especially in the biking context, I can see the utility.
    You don't have to carry it all the time. Set it by your keys and walk with it to your garage, put it in the car. Repeat on the walk back to your door. It's really quite small, but yeah, it's not something you want to carry constantly just because. Carry it when the threat is most likely.

It can be a PITA, but it's less of a PITA than shooting a dog. Folks take it REAL personal.

Site Supporter
    I definitely intend to speak with him about it when/if the opportunity arises, and I figure I'll try to frame it as looking out for the dog's well being in terms of if it bites the little old lady two garages down from me, she won't be able to defend herself and the dog would likely be destroyed by the authorities at that point. The problem is that he's the boyfriend/baby daddy of the daughter of the person who owns the unit in question, so it's a bit of a weird situation.
    Why not just frame it as, "Your dog scared the crap out of me the other night. Is he cool and can I meet him under better circumstances?"
    Last edited by Erik; 12-31-2015 at 05:20 PM.

Good point on the air horn BBIs, I'll seriously consider keeping one in the car. Believe me, shooting the dog is not something I want to do; if I had a dog and someone killed it, whatever the circumstances, I'd probably be looking at the dog as innocent until proven guilty and the human as guilty until proven innocent. I'm human, after all, and humans are just wired that way about family members unless we have long-term preexisting evidence to the contrary.

Regarding the conversation, Erik, I'll probably use your suggestion minus the "scared the crap out of" part as a start to the conversation, as that's probably the friendliest way to begin. Who knows, maybe it's an awesome dog and it was just going into "protection" mode because it doesn't know me. I do want to impress upon him that some people might be a lot more alarmed than I was (my wife, for example).

Another question on this subject: how do dogs typically react to getting hit with a 200+ lumen strobe from a flashlight, assuming it's dark out?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I suspect this is hyberbole or that you were trying to be funny and accidently forgot the . If not, poisoning someone's dog is a crime and we frown (pretty severely) upon people advocating criminal acts around here. But you know that, so I'm pretty sure it's just hyperbole.
    Yes. It was.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Why not just frame it as, "Your dog scared the crap out of me the other night. Is he cool and can I meet him under better circumstances?"

This ^^^

What is it about dogs and snakes that brings out some sort of primal fear?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post

What is it about dogs and snakes that brings out some sort of primal fear?
    you are afraid the snake will bite your dog.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I have some hard fought lessons learned with loose dogs.

For some reason W. Tx has a loose/feral dog problem of epic proportions. Although I've noticed since I've been a PITA to the local PD about calling in loose dogs every chance I get and low oil prices, things have calmed down dramatically.

That being said:

#1) carry a less lethal option.
    #2) When you know for a 100% certainty you are the target of a blood-enraged large breed dog--DO NOT GO HANDS ON. Yeah they aren't cane corsos but any large breed over 50 lbs will give you, the folks you are with, or your dog a VERY expensive trip to the hospital and at a minimum ruin your month. Along with this...read up on dog body language.
    #3) The dog's owner WILL BE WORSE THAN THE DOG if you have to put it down. Thus 'less lethal it' and move on.
    #4) I suggest NOT talking to the dog's owner and instead if a conversation must take place about the owner's ability to control the animal, let the police do it.. I can't emphasize this enough. No need to get into verbal judo, that may escalate, over a dog issue.
    #5) Shooting an attacking dog is WAY harder than it looks or seems.

Another question on this subject: how do dogs typically react to getting hit with a 200+ lumen strobe from a flashlight, assuming it's dark out?
    I have a German Shepard that couldn't give 2 shits less about high lumen flashlights. I wouldn't count on that doing much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List