Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry versus Obvious Concealment

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    This is pretty much the scenario I have in mind. I agree with everyone in that openly carrying a pistol into Chipotle is a dumb idea.

What about that scenario made sense?
    On a moving bike, wearing a level II security holster and within walking distance of a neighborhood that lead the city that year in part 1 crimes (Fel Assault/shooting, homicides, agh robbery, ect).

Also on a bike, it may be harder to draw from concealment.

Now if you were riding your bike to the local Starbucks for coffee, then my opinion would be different.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Well, it's probably pretty difficult to execute a gun grab on someone who's traveling at 10+ MPH on a bike, so it seems like it would go from the "liability" column to the "deterrent" column. Also, if you're on a bike, you probably have to execute a one-handed draw, and that's a lot easier from open carry than concealment.
    Red lights. I had a passenger on a motorcycle experience an attempt gun grab while sitting at a red light. 3 young males. Fortunately for her they were stupid and not very dedicated, when it didn't come out with the first tug they fled.

If you're in a neighborhood where "deterrent" is a factor, there is someone there willing to assault you for that gun.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    He was wearing a HK pistol in a Safariland holster, open carry. To me, that made sense. a LOT of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    What about that scenario made sense?
    It's so upsetting to me that Beat Trash's post also included the following:

some hot female had jeans painted on her naked lower half with body paint. Then a guy with a hidden camera followed her around NCY. She was naked form the waist down, except for body paint.
    AND YOU FOCUSED ON THE GUY ON THE FREAKING BICYCLE.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Never open carry. Period. As someone else has pointed out, unless you're going out of your way to derp, the chances are 94.6% of the people who see you (sadly, including most LE) will have NO CLUE you're armed. Most of the ones who can "make you" are deep in the derp themselves, and have spent hours studying the various "how to spot someone with a concealed weapon" flyers that have circulated on the interwebz over the years.

People always point to fanny packs as a "I have a gun" neon sign. I live/work in NY, where legal concealed carry of pistols is all but unknown, but I see plenty of folks wandering around with fanny packs in the summer. Likewise, when things get cool, if you're NOT wearing a vest of some kind, you look like a kook.

DON'T wear "gun" logo clothing. DON'T put gun logo stickers on your car. DON'T carry a molle-heavy backpack with terrorist hunting license stuff on it. And carry on, sharply.

Since getting my new truck, I am back to a fanny pack all the time due to the seats. Know what, everyone thinks I am simply Uncle Grandpa (look it up). I basically get the "trapped in the 80's" look as opposed to gun look. Also, Tom Givens wears a vest and usually a hat. Dude simply looks like an old eccentric guy who travels the world with his much younger trophy wife...:-)
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Whatever. If people want to open carry I really don't care. IMO if you're going to open carry you should a good holster with some sort of retention like a Safariland 6678. The serious open carriers I know use good retention holsters and have legit reasons for open carrying. The Joe idiots that OC their XDs in the holster that came with the gun are just that, idiots. I feel the same way about people who conceal carry with cheap crappy holsters. Of course they'll tell you about how nobody has ever tried to take a concealed carriers gun, except when of course just that has happened before.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Since getting my new truck, I am back to a fanny pack all the time due to the seats. Know what, everyone thinks I am simply Uncle Grandpa (look it up). I basically get the "trapped in the 80's" look as opposed to gun look. Also, Tom Givens wears a vest and usually a hat. Dude simply looks like an old eccentric guy who travels the world with his much younger trophy wife...:-)
    Dude... I wouldn't have made the connection, but it cannot be unmade now.

You are Uncle Grandpa's far more awesome doppelgänger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Red lights. I had a passenger on a motorcycle experience an attempt gun grab while sitting at a red light. 3 young males. Fortunately for her they were stupid and not very dedicated, when it didn't come out with the first tug they fled.

If you're in a neighborhood where "deterrent" is a factor, there is someone there willing to assault you for that gun.
    Like I said to Sidheshooter earlier, I was just trying to come up with a reason why it might be sensible in Beat Trash's quoted scenario. Obviously it would behoove you to be alert if you had to stop in any kind of potentially crowded place like at a red light. Of course, it's important to be alert pretty much all the time on a bike, lest you get mowed down by a car.

Sergeant Uncle Grandpa, which becomes SUG, pronounced 'shoog.' That'll do.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Tactical Uncle Grandpa.....black fanny pack "TUG". I am a volunteer proctor at my kids school and everyone just thinks I am an old guy with a fanny pack. The kids came up with Uncle Grandpa (I guess his fanny pack talks...never seen it myself). Nobody has a clue what is inside....just an old guy." It's funny a couple we hang out with at our vacation place, the female half always wears a fanny pack. We just look like Snow birds visiting from Canada.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List