Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Aging Affecting Your Shooting?

At the local USPSA club I shoot in the winter, we have many shooters over 70, and three around 80. I wouldn't want any of them shooting at me in a fight.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by BCGlocker View Post
    Mostly from speed, agility and dexterity. One particular task I had a hard time with is clear Type 3 Malfunction (double feed) clearance (look, lock slide, remove magazine, rack 3 times, insert fresh magazine from belt, rack to chamber a round, then both hands on pistol in the firing grip) in 4 seconds or less. This is a required drill for a certain qualification test I participate in. In my younger days, I never had to practice this task, it was a giving I can get it done in 4 seconds or less. Now days, I need 5+ seconds. I practiced for 3 months before I can get it down to 4 seconds again.
    Four seconds is a pretty stiff standard for that task. Do you have to do it The Long Way (Lock-Rip-Work, as you describe) or can you use another technique if you prefer?
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Four seconds is a pretty stiff standard for that task. Do you have to do it The Long Way (Lock-Rip-Work, as you describe) or can you use another technique if you prefer?
    I have to use the prescribed sequence, other wise I will incur penalty points.

Quote Originally Posted by BCGlocker View Post
    I am really interested to hear from people had similar aging experiences.
    I'll be 64 next month. Had a heart attack/triple by-pass in 2001, have been taking it rather easy since then. I still have my dexterity in regards to gun handling; not as much strength, of course, but enough. What has been dogging me is failing eyesight.

Red dot sights are THE answer for "old man eyes". Three immediate problems with that is: its slower, up close, than irons; the learning curve is not steep, but is long; and the expense + you're limited in available "platforms" for easy concealed carry. Glocks and M&Ps own that arena, IMO. I dabbled with it, on and off, for five years. I had two G19s cut for JPoints, and made a DIY version with OTS components (Suarez slide, RMR) for a third example. I still have them, but last year, when I was in an "on again" cycle, one of the JPoints and the RMR puked within two weeks of each other. That convinced me the concept is not quite ready for prime time... for me, anyway. FWIW, the two with JPoints were done by David Bowie, and are splendid concealed carry pieces. The RMR, being bigger, sits a bit higher and farther forward on the slide, which complicates holster choice for my method of carry. I'm keeping the guns, and will probably try it again in the future. I'm sold on the concept; I just don't think the current state-of-the-art of available optics, that suit MY parameters, is up to long-term use.

IOW, the optic is the weak point. There are several systems (Unity Tactical Atom is one) that allow one to use the bullet-proof AimPoint Micro, but that is a HONKING big optic to try to hide under a silk Hawaiian shirt; so its not for me.

What has been my savior is the huge three dot system on the HK45 Compact, and Trijicon HD sights on my USP Compacts. I can still see those well enough to get an adequate flash sight picture.

Sounds like you've got a mild case of the "dropsies". Dunno what to tell you about that; but four seconds to clear a double feed, as noted, is not generous by any means. The question about are you required to lock the slide back is a pertinent one; that adds at least a second to your performance. If you can just rip out the stuck magazine and then go postal on the gun, much better... time and manipulation-wise.

You figured out how to beat it... steady practice. Instead of 3 months of cramming before the test, why not practice it a few minutes 3-4 times a week? Every week.

Anyway... welcome to the club. Getting old sucks, but as they say- it beats the alternative.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    It's been a while but I think that under 4 seconds is Chuck Taylor Combat Master time which is a very stiff standard. The procedure BCGlocker describes is very Chuck Taylor/Front Sight but could originate early then that due to my lack of knowledge.

I've moved to retaining the magazine but when I am naked in my driveway in the middle of the night in the snow, I am not going to have that extra magazine on my belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    It's been a while but I think that under 4 seconds is Chuck Taylor Combat Master time which is a very stiff standard. The procedure BCGlocker describes is very Chuck Taylor/Front Sight but could originate early then that due to my lack of knowledge.
    It is the Front Sight's malfunction drill (no doubt originated form Chuck Taylor). You cannot earn any points but they will penalize you if you cannot do it in 4 sec. My last attempt at earning a "Distinguished Graduate" (DG at 90%) certificate failed due to 6 points penalty (3 points each and I failed twice) from the Type 3 Malfunction. My shooting qualified DG, but not after the Type 3 Malfunction penalties. I have been practice it at least 3 times each week with my dry practice for the last three months.

Site Supporter
    I spent a good amount of time at Front Sight and back in the day achieved DG several times. I gave my 100% clean test target to my Dad who got me into shooting and going to Front Sight. I am still proud of that, I spent a lot of time alone in the garage to get that done and it was all dry practice.

I would suggest (how I gamed the test) to spend some dry practicing the Type 3 malfunction at 5 or 10 % speed and figure out the most efficient, quickest line to get it done. I would bring the gun slightly back towards me to close some distance my support hand would be moving, push the gun with my firing hand while racking the slide, and I worked on a really smooth, short transition, from the rack to the grip which was a pivot move then reacquaring a grip. I believe they also require you to check you belt for a mag, I would do that while visual check.

While I've gone a different way , all the time I spent pursuing the DG cent gave me good gun handling skills and made a pistol an extension of me. Good luck, keep working on it.

Finally, a thread I feel competent to participate in! I guess I'm lucky as far as eyesight goes and I have XS Big Dots and Trijicon NS between most of my carry guns.

Only problem I've found recently as I turned 62 was ability to hold my full-sized Glock 45acp for any reasonable length of time before groups (even close) started to open up. My 20 year old grandson wants to get a gun and his CC permit when he turns 21 next year. He shoots the Glock well so I made him a deal he couldn't refuse and used the proceeds to get (5 weeks ago) a new Glock 36 single-stack 6 round 45. Amazing what 4-5 ounces in weight can do and it's about the same size as my G19.

Much more accurate now but more reloading. Been watching Clint Smith of "Thunder Ranch" video on quicker, tactical reloads. So I'm carrying 6+1+6 (on belt) which I like...
    -- Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I spent a good amount of time at Front Sight and back in the day achieved DG several times. I gave my 100% clean test target to my Dad who got me into shooting and going to Front Sight. I am still proud of that, I spent a lot of time alone in the garage to get that done and it was all dry practice.

I would suggest (how I gamed the test) to spend some dry practicing the Type 3 malfunction at 5 or 10 % speed and figure out the most efficient, quickest line to get it done. I would bring the gun slightly back towards me to close some distance my support hand would be moving, push the gun with my firing hand while racking the slide, and I worked on a really smooth, short transition, from the rack to the grip which was a pivot move then reacquaring a grip. I believe they also require you to check you belt for a mag, I would do that while visual check.

While I've gone a different way , all the time I spent pursuing the DG cent gave me good gun handling skills and made a pistol an extension of me. Good luck, keep working on it.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I found going slow and completely analyze each movement will help to speed things up at the end. My problem was due to lost of some strength in my hands, I found lock slide back and rack the slide three times at maximum speed to be very challenging and frustrating. After dry practiced for 3 months, I now can consistently do it under 4 seconds. Still not easy, but doable.

You shot 100% clean target at which course? In any event, it is very admirable.

Hitting 5-0 imminently. I know I'm not the animal I was fifteen years ago, but physically I'm pretty OK. My main problem is that I'm in the middle of drastic eye changes. I get glasses yearly but I can tell before that when my eyes are changing. Posts from LSP972 have convinced me to hold off on red dot handguns for as long as possible, but I'll be driving a Glock sooner than later just for the sight options.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List