Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smith and Wesson 638-3 trigger fails to reset when gun is cold

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    ...with alacrity...
    I suppose that's my word-of-the-day. I had to look it up!

Back in the early 70s a couple of gunsmiths who worked here locally, recommended Lubriplate white, which has a lead base. One winter while walking beat and the temps running below zero, I found that my 19 4" would not cycle and exhibited the same problem as OP. Checked the weapon again after report writing at SO and the weapon worked fine.

Called S&W and they said get the grease out! P.S. being a Deputy Sheriff in a rural county I cranked off a round at a coyote and that's when I discovered the weapon wouldn't cycle!

Took the grease out which turns an ugly gray after firing a few rounds. Changed holsters from a Bucheimer swivel to a Bianchi 5B! and kept the weapon closer to my body. We didn't have "weapon retention" training in those years.

Read this thread and have a question

Hi Everyone,

After reading this thread I have a question I have a 929 which I installed an apex hammer and spring kit in and am having an opposite problem. was at a IPSC match last Tuesday and shot the first five stages out of twelve without issues.( About 115 rounds over about 21/2 hours) Once I started the 6th stage, I started having trigger return issues. I ended finishing the match by manually resetting the trigger myself by pushing it forward after every shot. Needless to say I did not do that well. Anyway I brought the revolver home and was only able to disassemble it today, but prior to me taking it apart, I loaded a moon clip and dry fired it and was no longer having the reset problem. I repeatedly dry fired it and after about 100 or so trigger pulls I started to once again get a trigger reset issue. Any Ideas how I can rectify this?

Revo

User Tag List