Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Tikka bolt action rifles

OJ, did you order one? They've arrived at Whittaker's and some 24 HCF gang say theirs' have shipped, but I've not gotten notice yet.
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 07-22-2017 at 11:40 AM.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Different OJ and not a .22-250 shooter, but I'm on the range with my T3x in 30-06 right now, and I just made a 0.75 MOA group at 200 with 30-year-old Greek CMP ammo.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    OJ, did you order one? They've arrived at Whittaker's and some 24 HCF gang say theirs' have shipped, but I've not gotten notice yet.
    No. I've crawled all around the use case and can't justify it. Between the rifle itself, glass, mounts, bullets, brass, powders and tooling, I figure a $700 rifle in a new caliber will actually cost about $1300-1500, even being smart about chasing low prices. I concluded that if I can't get it done with a .223, then the .260 Rem I already have will be pretty well suited. The space in between what can be done with those two and handloading is pretty narrow (but real, for people who spend time in it), and I can't convince myself of having any need to fill it. With a .17HMR slotted in below them, I'm pretty well set.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 07-22-2017 at 12:31 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I saw those guns being discussed on 24 Hours CF.

A buddy RJM picked one up. That is a pretty darn cool rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Attached is the Kinetic Research group study entitled "The case for and against the Tikka" and it's an excellent read.

Attachment 5194
    I realize this is an old thread, but since the X model seems to address most of the criticisms here was wondering if anyone had comments on the X offering. Were the fixes solid? Any new info?

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I realize this is an old thread, but since the X model seems to address most of the criticisms here was wondering if anyone had comments on the X offering. Were the fixes solid? Any new info?
    I think the "fixes" weren't that necessary to begin with, IMO. The new recoil lug is nice for the magnums, though. I think the evolution from T3 to the T3X just solidified that they are some of the best rifles for the cost, and the Tic Tac series hits well above its price point, too. I wish they had done something with the stock but I'm happy with the price point and don't want to see that change. FWIW, if the stock really bothers you the aftermarket is catching up.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I have a T3X CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor. To give some perspective to what I’m about to say, I also own a AI with a custom 6.5 Creed Barrel, I also own 2 custom rifles built off Rem 700 actions.

Knowing what I do now, I would just buy a Tikka and slap a stock on it, instead of the custom 700’s. Now, I’m not that big of a fan of Tikka’s twist rate on some of there barrels, but that can be corrected with swapping barrels. Which is cheaper on a Tikka bc the action does not need to be trued.

My CTR will shoot 2.5” groups at 400yds with my hand loads. With an $11 spring the trigger is CRAZY good.

So in closing, if you don’t want a $5500 AI, buy a Tikka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    I've eyed the battue model for quite some time, and I've struggled to source one in the US. Would love to be able to get the iron sighted battue as opposed to shelling out the big(ger) bucks for the sako black bear.
    Had a Black Bear that had feeding/ejection issues with standard length action.
    Found a Battue in 9.3 and it has become my go to hunting rifle. Light, accurate and very use able irons.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Here ya go

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sooner or later, reading this thread is going to cost me some money. One thing temporarily keeping me from buying a rifle, in 2019, is trying to buy one or two parcels of my great-grandparents’ farm, but, sooner or later, that will be either accomplished, or not.

I have been somewhat “protected” from impulse-buying, because the nearest Tikka dealer rarely has left-hand-action Tikkas in stock, chambered for the cartridges I find most interesting.

Actually, I could probably use a right-hand Battue model, as open sights will often work well enough. I am left-eye dominant, but that usually only matters with aperture sights and optics. Even though left-handed, I throw right-handed, and tend to use big tools right-handed, so running a bolt-action rifle works equally well from either shoulder.

User Tag List