Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tikka bolt action rifles

Tikka bolt action rifles

Who has them and what do you think of them in terms of accuracy, reliability and durability?

Both the CTR and some of the stainless/synthetic models look interesting, but I have zero experience with them.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I bought a CTR in 308 shortly after they came out. The rifle was very nice but you could tell the stock is where they cut price (think Tupperware) to make it cheaper than the sako. It was 100% free floated and as long as I didn't load the bipod too much it remained free floated. Magazines were nice as well. Oversized bolt knob was nice but the end ball was plastic. I put a XTRii 5x25 on it and a atlas bipod, shot it 13 times at 100 yards and realized I had nowhere to shoot long range. Sold it and regret it almost daily. I'd buy another in a heart beat but would swap to a KRG chassis asap.

The trigger was AMAZING! I think the adjustment range went from 2-4.5 pounds? Easy to adjust as well.

Last edited by Luke; 12-29-2015 at 08:10 AM.

Considering a CTR myself. Magazines are horrendously expensive though.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Who has them and what do you think of them in terms of accuracy, reliability and durability?

Both the CTR and some of the stainless/synthetic models look interesting, but I have zero experience with them.
    My father had a .308 and .223 Sporter. 1/4 MOA was what the Sporter supposedly shot, and I have seen a 1/3 MOA group from that .308 at 300 yards. Just 3 shot groups mind you, but they are stoopid accurate rifles.

I have a Tikka Sporter in 223 and it shoots really well for a factory rifle.

Messing around with different loads, it shot five, 5-shot groups that averaged .7" . A couple of the groups were under .4 inches so with the right load it shoots. This one has a 1:8 twist 24" barrel and will send a 75 A-max past 800 with ease.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I'm not a bolt gun guy but if I was looking to get one it'd be a Tikka, over any of the similarly priced competition without question. Based off selling various bolt guns for years, feedback on Tikkas has been 100% positive and I've never seen any come back with problems. Can't say the same for everyone else.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Agreed, they have a stellar reputation. As far as a bad stock that's pretty much every bolt gun on the market, what you really want is quality internals which the Tikka has in spades. The stock can easily be sold off and swapped for something much more superior down the road.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

No direct experience, but I've heard enough good things about them that if all of my gear got stolen and I had to start over, they'd be near the top of a very short list of replacements.

Okie John

I had a T3 briefly. They're nice guns for sure...synthetic stock is garbage, easily replaced though.

Looked at through the lens of my experience with the Mauser 98 and the Winchester Model 70, there is so much that's wrong with the Tikka T3: enclosed trigger, push feed, a DBM that only holds three down, a flaky little recoil lug. On top of that, the loading/ejection port is tiny and there is only one T3 action size regardless of whether your rifle is chambered in 30-06 or .223. Oh, and did I mention plastic? Lots and lots of plastic.

I want so badly to dislike the Tikka T3. And yet they shoot really, really well with zero tuning, bedding, or fuss. They've also been been beta-tested by hunters around the world and have seen modest acceptance among some military and police organizations globally.

In short the Tikkas, at least the T3s I've seen personally, are legit. The Finns are a race of hunters and it should come as no surprise, I suppose.

I'm also strongly fighting the urge to clear out a safe full of Mauser/Winchester project guns to make room for a single, highly-competent T3, possibly the same CTR you're looking at.

One last note: Tikka/Sako is reportedly set to unveil the T3's replacement. There is only speculation and no details on what that may look like. I'm guessing SHOT 2016 will be the big reveal.

User Tag List