Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitness Trackers

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Fitness Trackers

Anyone use these things? How do you like it?

I'm trying to get better insight into how many calories I actually burn during the day, so I can better tune my diet. There are a lot pedometers out there, but they're not really useful for me, as I don't run or walk as exercise. It's usually stationary bike and weights. I've been thinking about picking up a FitBit Charge to get more feedback about my workouts, but don't want to drop $150 on an experiment.

Any info would be helpful.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Anyone use these things? How do you like it?

I'm trying to get better insight into how many calories I actually burn during the day, so I can better tune my diet. There are a lot pedometers out there, but they're not really useful for me, as I don't run or walk as exercise. It's usually stationary bike and weights. I've been thinking about picking up a FitBit Charge to get more feedback about my workouts, but don't want to drop $150 on an experiment.

Any info would be helpful.
    The resident fitness Guru at TPI is pushing the Fitbit HR.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    The resident fitness Guru at TPI is pushing the Fitbit HR.
    I'm not on TPI. Can you send me a link?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I bought my wife the Fitbit ChargeHR, it is pretty neat and I am looking at picking one up. Paired with my GPS watching for running/biking/skiing/shit it is an attractive package. I know some LE guys who can verify their robustness.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    I got a FITBIT ChargeHr for Christmas. My employer uses the VIRGIN PULSE system to encourage us to exercise, et.c for healthier employees (and I am sure reducing their health payouts) - I was using other more traditional pedometers to count steps. Only used the FITBIT for three days but I am impressed. I am wearing it as a watch (now what do I do with my SUUNTO?)and it is not only counting steps but estimating calories burned plus tracking sleep. I was surprised at the amount of sleep data and the accuracy of the sleep data.

I went ahead and picked up a Charge HR via Amazon same day. All I can say at the moment is that it charges quickly, and syncing with the PC was easy. Hopefully it's worth it.

Ive been using the Fitbit HR for about 6 months and love it. It tracks everything (pulse, calories burned, steps takes, miles walked, stairs climbed, etc. It also keeps up with physical activity pretty well and the app is easy to figure out.

For the price you cant really beat it for what it does.

ETA: as far as keeping up with stationary activity like a treadmill, elipitical, etc mine does great. I go from the treadmill to the elipitical and it recognizes both as seperate activities and records it for display later on the app.

You can usually find a deal on them through Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I got mine for $120 after finding it on sale and using some of my wifes coupons.
    Last edited by KeeFus; 12-29-2015 at 04:36 AM.

most people I know with fit bits or other wearable devices quit using them inside the first year.

Good luck.

I use the Garmin Vivofit. It is waterproof, uses a watch battery (no recharging and lasts 2 years) and has held up to a lot of abuse. It's like the Aimpoint of fitness trackers. The app is okay. I find that tracking my sleep has been almost as beneficial as tracking my steps.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Software Guy View Post
    most people I know with fit bits or other wearable devices quit using them inside the first year.

Good luck.
    Similar stories with gym memberships, treadmills, stationary bikes, Nordic-track, etc. In my case, I can earn $500 cash a year if I get the steps in! I bought a Vortex Viper scope with this years "incentive" check!

User Tag List