Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Flashlights as of 12/28/15

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    What's the purpose of the strobe function? Just picked a Streamlight Polytac with my AmEx rewards points and it does this.
    I'm not sure there is a real purpose with that light given the switching.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    What's the purpose of the strobe function? Just picked a Streamlight Polytac with my AmEx rewards points and it does this.
    It's supposed to disorient a threat. The problem is accessing it under duress and not messing up the three presses it takes to get there. IMO, it's tactical faggotry. The only time I used it was when I was playing around. Not that I or my opinion matters, but just an example. It may have a place somewhere but it doesn't belong in my inventory.
    Last edited by NCmtnman; 01-04-2016 at 02:25 PM. Reason: I'm not an expert

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Just came on by itself?

I'm not really sure if it may have hit my knee or or what. The issue was that I could not turn it off. The tech letter said that the circuitry was replaced along with the button.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I like the new LED lights, particularly the Streamlight Polytacs. I have one of these in the truck:

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88...T3SQPM4BED22TW

Seems to me they are are useful as a Surefire G2, and only $40, good value.
    The one you linked to is the old version with 130 lumens max.

They have a new version that is programmable (Streamlight's "Ten-Tap" programming), and is 275 lumens on high, and 14 lumens low.

You can get them for as low as $35: http://www.lapolicegear.com/streamli...lashlight.html

I've got one in every vehicle, and one as my backup light on my tac vest.

My other favorite is the Streamlight ProTac 1L: http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88...ight+protac+1l

It comes with nice little nylon holster that makes it perfect for carrying right behind my spare mag on my weak side.

For several months now, I've been trying to talk myself out of picking one of these up....alas, I was unsuccessful.

The other night I took some flashlights out and did a test. Granted this wasn't a scientific test, it was just me noticing that the backyard was pretty dark and lets see how the flashlights preform.

My backyard isn't huge by country standards, but the area I have is about twice as big as the average backyard in my area, probably 60 or so yards distance.

I took out the following lights (all lights had fairly fresh batteries, but not new ones)
    Surefire 6P LED - 80 lumens light using the original P60L emitter.
    Surefire EB1 Tactical - 200 lumens
    Surefire EB2 Tactical - 500 lumens
    Elzetta Charlie AVS - 900 lumens - they now offer different options but it was whatever they offered when they first released this light.

Observations:
    Surefire 6PL - Wow we considered this bright once? It wasn't horrible you could still see stuff, but it was a bit of a struggle
    Surefire EB1 - Was pretty lite up, I could make out more details, but it was still missing stuff
    Surefire EB2 - This had the brightest hot spot of all four lights, but it was pretty narrow, maybe a little bigger than a foot. But everything around it was very well lite up, the flood was at least as bright as the EB1's hot spot.
    Elzetta Charlie AVS - The color was a little more yellow than the other three. The hot spot wasn't as bright as the EB2, but it was still bright enough to see most details and much bigger than the EB2 probably 3-4 feet wide. The flood was lighter than the EB2 but still brighter than the EB1's hot spot.

Conclusions: The EB1 was plenty bright for that distance for defensive use, but if I needed to see more details I would probably go for the EB2 or the Elzetta. But then again this was a back to back test, I remember when I was satisfied with the 6PL.
    "The rocket worked perfectly, except for landing on the wrong planet." - Wernher Von Braun

http://www.teampegleg.com

User Tag List