Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Guns & Grip Reductions

Site Supporter

Plastic Guns & Grip Reductions

All of this talk about the Gen4 frames flexing differently than Gen3 frames, and potential the ejector implications, have me wondering about aftermarket grip reductions.

Do any of you have a grip reduced Gen3 frame and experienced odd performance problems when it returned?

Nope.

Though the 3 grip reduced Glocks I have all use the HRED, which I have a huge man crush on. Before, with one of the guns I'd get occasional brass in the face. I believe it was happening before getting chopped up, but I'm not sure. It is a newer glock.

People have been chopping Glocks for a long long time.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    People have been chopping Glocks for a long long time.
    Yup, and I've shot a few of the hack jobs where the mag sticks in the magwell because they deformed it during the reduction process. Plus, I wonder if most people shoot enough, and maintain the sufficient records, to notice a decline in reliability.

Close to twelve thousand rounds through Bowie-reduced 3d gen Glock 19 without any problems. I actually think that grip-reduced ones may have stiffer frames and therefore flex less.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I actually think that grip-reduced ones may have stiffer frames and therefore flex less.
    Because the channel is often filled?

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Because the channel is often filled?
    Exactly, JV. Bowie and many others use epoxy to fill it, creating a "spine" along the backstrap. Of course, the rigidity change is purely speculative since there is no way to measure flex, is there?

I have a pair of GLOCKs done by Boresight Solutions. One has been used in several multi-day pistol classes (including the AFHF) with zero reliability issues. The other has only been used in one class (and only during the night fire portion). However, it has also had zero reliability issues.

I think if there were an epidemic of frames falling apart we'd have heard about it.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I think if there were an epidemic of frames falling apart we'd have heard about it.
    I'm not implying that they're falling apart, or it's an epidemic. I'm just saying that if the ejection problem is induced by frame flex, folks should be more careful about letting someone remove material from their frames.
    Last edited by JV_; 10-04-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Of course, the rigidity change is purely speculative since there is no way to measure flex, is there?
    There is. You have to figure out which direction(s) you want to measure flex, build a rigid fixture to support the item being tested, and have a means to apply a measured load and measure deflection. Could be as simple as a hydraulic ram with a load cell and a dial indicator. Commercial materials test labs have equipment for this -- Instron is one of the most common manufacturers.

User Tag List