Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sad day

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Revolvers would be a lot more fun if you didn't have to load the damn things so often.
    *puts on tie and hops off bike*

Do you have a moment to talk about our holyness the 8 shot N-frame?

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Maybe it's a generational thing, but I have never wanted to carry a sixgun as a primary defensive arm except in the backcountry, and even then I still prefer a semi. I own a few revolvers, and I like them for what they represent, but I look at them much like flintlocks: obsolete technology for my purposes today.
    Yeah, generational. My sons likewise. I can't fault the logic. I learned in the 90s; 1 vs 2 with vehicles and a 5 shot wheelie. Grow or die.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    *puts on tie and hops off bike*

Do you have a moment to talk about our holyness the 8 shot N-frame?
    I once owned the 3" PC627 V-Comp with the serial number JMC0001. The fact that I sold it rarely...occasionally, but rarely...fills me with pangs of regret. Like right now.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I once owned the 3" PC627 V-Comp with the serial number JMC0001. The fact that I sold it rarely...occasionally, but rarely...fills me with pangs of regret. Like right now.
    I don't even know you and I'm feeling regret for you. And disappointment that I didn't have the opportunity to buy it.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Revolvers would be a lot more fun if you didn't have to load the damn things so often.
    Or clean them. I have memories of scrubbing layers of lead from low bid swaged 158 grain SWC from my issued M64 back in the day.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    The real place for the full size revolver these days for most of us is as a snub trainer. I am still in the "snub as deep concealment bug" first choice, and there are a ton of folks who are carrying snubs as primaries. These are very much rule one guns. Of course the other area where revolvers are good is ban states and areas with really bizarre magazine and ammunition restrictions.

Also, in the dog case, if I had a dog attached to an arm and need to contact shoot a couple off in a chaotic mess, the revolver may not be so bad as it seems on paper.
    Same with me. Two M10 4 inchers and a half lug GP-100 4" .38 ex-security gun still live here as practice guns for me and HD for the bride. She will not even consider trying a bottom feeder.
    A 442-2 is my current EDC right now because my back is all jacked up from a herniated disc. Tried a P228 in a paddle holster this morning. Started hurting after two hours.
    Glock 27 in a Glock Sport Combat holster and a Colt Dick Special in a belt slide were no better.
    I probably will pick up a belt holster of some sort today for the 442 so I can get it out of my pocket. I never thought I would be reduced to carrying a five shooter on my belt. Stuff happens.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Same with me. Two M10 4 inchers and a half lug GP-100 4" .38 ex-security gun still live here as practice guns for me and HD for the bride. She will not even consider trying a bottom feeder.
    A 442-2 is my current EDC right now because my back is all jacked up from a herniated disc. Tried a P228 in a paddle holster this morning. Started hurting after two hours.
    Glock 27 in a Glock Sport Combat holster and a Colt Dick Special in a belt slide were no better.
    I probably will pick up a belt holster of some sort today for the 442 so I can get it out of my pocket. I never thought I would be reduced to carrying a five shooter on my belt. Stuff happens.
    If the pressure from the belt is aggravating your back, you may want to try a shoulder rig. The Galco Jackass rig or Miami Classic have worked well when I faced similar issues.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If the pressure from the belt is aggravating your back, you may want to try a shoulder rig. The Galco Jackass rig or Miami Classic have worked well when I faced similar issues.
    Thanks for the tip. In thirty-five years of corrections/court security/civil enforcement, I have never worn or used one. Might have to do this so I can carry something fight worthy with me while I recuperate. Had a cortisone injection Thursday and go back to MD on the 14th.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Or clean them. I have memories of scrubbing layers of lead from low bid swaged 158 grain SWC from my issued M64 back in the day.
    Ugh. I hate that.

With stainless guns, I try and remember to spray the front of the cylinder with PAM® before extended shooting sessions. Then the cack mostly just wipes off the front of the cylinder. I hate myself when I forget to do that. o.O
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

For me, the revolvers are carried when outdoors in griz country - d.a. 44 Mag, 45 Colt, or 454. That same country where I go also has moose & they can be very aggressive. In black bear/mountain lion country the semi auto 10mms or 40s are fine.

Around our place out in farm country I've carried a K or N frame revolver in 38 Special, 44 Special, or 45 Colt. For a long time the main threat was stray dogs and coyotes attacking our pets and livestock. This happens often in our area. After experiencing some high frequency hearing loss and being told by the ear doc that everyone is different in terms of their vulnerability to muzzle blast, I often carried revolvers with lower pressure rounds. I'm not so willing to further impair my hearing to save an animal. - - I did pick up some police & armor car company trade-in K frame 38 service revolvers. They're fun to shoot and in today's anti gun climate, who knows what further laws & regs they'll come up with to target semi autos.

User Tag List