Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 IDPA World Championship Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Agree, IDPA is a joke.
    This is the IDPA forum. This forum is for people that support and like IDPA.
    You are entitled to your opinion, but please post it someplace else.
    Codey
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    What I really wanna know, and you'll never get it from a survey, is how many folks actually carry their gun compared to how many say they carry and respond in kind.
    In the 2015 IDPA Nationals survey 269 said they have carry permits, 69 who didn't and the rest didn't answer.
    I think this varies a lot by region, and it's not useful to generalize it nationally. In Virginia I can tell you that 75-85% of those who shoot IDPA matches also carry where legal to do so, which is just about everywhere. In Maryland, it's less than 50% because CCW permits are difficult to acquire, and often come with restrictions. It also depends what you call "carry." A lot of guys in WV keep a pistol in their truck, but don't usually carry it on them. The mix of CCW carriers is different in Maryland and Virginia. Maryland is heavily LEO, ex-LEO, and Federal Agents with a sprinkling of civilians. In Virginia it's majority civilians with a sizable group of LEO's, ex-LEO's and Federal Agents.

To me the bigger issue is the percentage of Virginia CCW who are poorly skilled. One of the main reasons I shoot and support IDPA is to get new/novice shooters into a program that will improve their safety and their skills. I have helped many a new shooter go from green to competent, and that is what keeps me going. I always encourage them to go further and take tactical courses once they get confident.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    In the 2015 IDPA Nationals survey 269 said they have carry permits, 69 who didn't and the rest didn't answer.
    I think this varies a lot by region, and it's not useful to generalize it nationally. In Virginia I can tell you that 75-85% of those who shoot IDPA matches also carry where legal to do so, which is just about everywhere. In Maryland, it's less than 50% because CCW permits are difficult to acquire, and often come with restrictions. It also depends what you call "carry." A lot of guys in WV keep a pistol in their truck, but don't usually carry it on them. The mix of CCW carriers is different in Maryland and Virginia. Maryland is heavily LEO, ex-LEO, and Federal Agents with a sprinkling of civilians. In Virginia it's majority civilians with a sizable group of LEO's, ex-LEO's and Federal Agents.

To me the bigger issue is the percentage of Virginia CCW who are poorly skilled. One of the main reasons I shoot and support IDPA is to get new/novice shooters into a program that will improve their safety and their skills. I have helped many a new shooter go from green to competent, and that is what keeps me going. I always encourage them to go further and take tactical courses once they get confident.
    Cody
    Having their license/permit and actually doing so are very different things. I'd throw the bullshit flag on 75-85% of people actually carrying as we know it here.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I'm definitely confused. I thought the whole idea behind IDPA was concealed carry??? And yeah, the G34 is definitely in the top ten of viable concealed carry pistols...

We have pistol divisions for just about any sized CCW gun you want to shoot, from BUG to Compact Carry Pistol to Full-sized ESP/SSP to full-sized .45cal. And before you say nobody carries a Glock 34, I know a few LEOs and Federal guys who carry a Glock 34, and it's their favorite gun. I also know a number of civilians who carry full-sized 1911's.

This posting was intended to provide information, not debate.
    Cody

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Having their license/permit and actually doing so are very different things. I'd throw the bullshit flag on 75-85% of people actually carrying as we know it here.
    You may be right, but you don't know if you are right. As I said, I know for a fact there are regional differences. It's useless to throw around generalities since the state and regional variances are great.
    Cody

Well, I was looking at the list of models, not brands.
    But, fair enough...thanks for pointing that out.
    Cody
    Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Whatchu tawkin' 'bout Willis?

FWIW, I don't put a lot of stock in these surveys, but what's kinda humorous/lame/sad/telling for an organization with a mission statement like IDPA's (and perhaps the gun carrying public as a whole?) is the disparity between "top guns" and "top CCW" choices.

t
    Last edited by cclaxton; 12-27-2015 at 03:44 PM.

This is the IDPA forum. This forum is for people that support and like IDPA.
    Codey
    Says who? Under the section it says "International Defensive Pistol Association Discussion". Not "Passes Cody's smell-test" or "Only supportive discussion, please". Lighten up, Francis.

(And you spelled your own name wrong, btw).

t

You may be right, but you don't know if you are right. As I said, I know for a fact there are regional differences. It's useless to throw around generalities since the state and regional variances are great.
    Cody
    And you don't know if you are right, it's useless to throw around generalities.

In all of these surveys it sure feels good to respond like you carry a gun 24/7 and even tell people you do but I think the safe money is on respondents lying.

Well, I was looking at the list of models, not brands.
    But, fair enough...thanks for pointing that out.
    Cody

I was mostly just joshing. As I mentioned, I don't put a whole lot of stock in these surveys. Regardless, us Sig weanies gotta represent, yo!

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    I was mostly just joshing. As I mentioned, I don't put a whole lot of stock in these surveys. Regardless, us Sig weanies gotta represent, yo!
    According to the survey you don't exist.

User Tag List