Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Given up on my Cz-P01, back to the H&K LEM or Try DA/SA ?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Come on, support your bro in his fight for justice for LEM. Take the challenge, George, take the challenge.

As you know, GJM is a superhero of sorts. 1/2 high end business mogul, half wooly Alaskan outdoorsman, able to swoon board members and change market trends in one breath and harvest moose, face shoot charging Grizzlies and perform miraculous feats of elite aviation skill in the next. All in time to be back home and cater to the needs of his lovely wife for the evening. He's truly a man among men!

However I surmise the prospect of THIS challenge might just be a bit too daunting and likely strikes fear into his very heart! Alas, YVK, I'm not sure he has what it takes. With heavy heart, I'll say I suspect you may have to continue to go at it alone....

I carried a CZ P01 when I shot the Shadows.

The gun is ok as a template, but needed several parts swapped to ensure reliability:

• GJM already mentioned magazine springs - the OEM mag is ~ok. Wolf spring helps.
    • Stock Extractor spring is garbage - swap with a wolf extractor spring. May need a 1/4-1/2 coil clipped.
    • Keep the extractor slot cleaned - if you're not cleaning that or hosing it out with Hornady cleaner/lube, you're setting up for failure.
    • Stock FP block pin (roll pin) - wears heavily. Total garbage. Replace with a Cajun solid pin.
    • CZ's a OAL sensitive since the leade is short - I ran JHP very short (1.065"-1.075") to maximize reliability. Some SD ammo just didn't chamber reliably. Federal HST seemed ok, you have to experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I carried a CZ P01 when I shot the Shadows.

The gun is ok as a template, but needed several parts swapped to ensure reliability:

• GJM already mentioned magazine springs - the OEM mag is ~ok. Wolf spring helps.
    • Stock Extractor spring is garbage - swap with a wolf extractor spring. May need a 1/4-1/2 coil clipped.
    • Keep the extractor slot cleaned - if you're not cleaning that or hosing it out with Hornady cleaner/lube, you're setting up for failure.
    • Stock FP block pin (roll pin) - wears heavily. Total garbage. Replace with a Cajun solid pin.
    • CZ's a OAL sensitive since the leade is short - I ran JHP very short (1.065"-1.075") to maximize reliability. Some SD ammo just didn't chamber reliably. Federal HST seemed ok, you have to experiment.
    That's a helluva list.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    That's a helluva list.
    Guess what I carry now... Hint: not the P01.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    It is. But people here aren't concerned about that. Most of the time, we're looking for any reason to try something different.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    That's a helluva list.
    It's a chopped a shrunk legacy gun. Like most smaller guns based on bigger original designs it's got issues. Think 1911 commander and occifer pistols.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Interestingly, it was a striker HK that he made a GM with.

As far as the rest of your post, I now have to shoot my LEM during that match in February. That brings a perfect opportunity for a challenge. There's 20% point difference between you and I now (I am guessing). I shoot the match within 15% of you - you shoot LEM only for 6 months, you can have my GGI 30L. How about that?
    While someone was holding your gun while you peed during that hike in GA, I snuck a few trigger pulls on your GGI LEM gun. I really wished we had like a whole extra week at Rogers to fool around with different guns. I would have liked to try the Rogers Test with your gun. And you know I am on the side of obstinate Timmies. I think it has potential, you should go for it.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    While someone was holding your gun while you peed during that hike in GA, I snuck a few trigger pulls on your GGI LEM gun. I really wished we had like a whole extra week at Rogers to fool around with different guns. I would have liked to try the Rogers Test with your gun. And you know I am on the side of obstinate Timmies. I think it has potential, you should go for it.

Aaaaah, the romance. You two were back there for while....

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Aaaaah, the romance. You two were back there for while....
    Hey, I wasn't the one 'holding the gun'...
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    It's a chopped a shrunk legacy gun. Like most smaller guns based on bigger original designs it's got issues. Think 1911 commander and occifer pistols.
    It isn't as bad as the rep. commander 1911's have... I did carry thing with confidence for a while and really think the P01 can run well with minimal upgrades.
    The CZ spring replacements are cheap enough - the trouble is knowing enough about the design to fit parts with confidence.
    (Snark aside, I needed something smaller, hence the Kahr PM9, which required a touch of debugging too.)

CZ should probably put better components in from the get go, but, that said, the entire CZ75 design is dated: Stupid TRS, small sear and soft hammer, slide stop is a wear part, etc. Sphinx makes a better clone based on the "sear cage" models, but even CZ has moved to the more robust omega trigger system...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    The glorious intoxication from those vodka cocktails has clouded your memory, my friend. You tried the HK at the hotel. The now-classic line of hold my gun while I pee involved a Beretta. Which gets me to another point of polymer gun advantage. They are light and nimble and you can keep them holstered while urinating. Impossible to do so with all metal guns, especially all steel ones.

If someone would arrange a run of "Obstinate Timmy" t-shirts, I would wear them proudly.

Sincere apologies to OP for taking this thread down the drain.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List