Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Given up on my Cz-P01, back to the H&K LEM or Try DA/SA ?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I have not had any failures with my PCR. So far, I have only fed it with Lawman 124g. I still need to try a variety of SD ammo. So, my issue there was more related to forgetting to decock, etc.

Pannone, McNamara, Defoor, and Vickers have held classes near me (in the NE). I just didn't have the funds in the past year to go.

I'm starting to think I should be sticking with the CZ, given no troubles. I just don't see many people making them their self-defense first choice.
    Not sure where you are in the NE. Bruce Gray, Jerry Jones and crew run a couple classes per year at Sig Sauer Academy in NH. Practical Fundamentals is an outstanding class to learn the DA/SA trigger.

I understand Mike Pannone was running a CZ for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    FIFY. There are tons of folks that own guns and shoot regularly whose "practice" is more akin to leisurely jogging around the neighborhood than running timed 400s (or whatever).
    I use running as a "get out of my head" activity. A zen for those 'too A.D.D. to sit still and meditate' kinda thing. And the clock is a definite distraction from that.
    I understand. Doesn't make those types of shooting or running any less valid, but P-F isn't for those kind of shooters, just as the Runners World forum isn't geared towards your kind of running.

Pannone, McNamara, Defoor, and Vickers have held classes near me (in the NE). I just didn't have the funds in the past year to go.
    I've trained with 3 of those guys, and I am too lazy to see what your shooting background is, but those classes aren't geared towards newer shooters without previous formal training/competition experience. If you've had no formal instruction, any A class/Expert shooter from USPSA/IDPA could help you out in just a few hours at your local range.

The PX4 Compact or the HK 2000 will work great for what your looking for. I still have a couple PX4's with the compact being my favorite, I have since started playing around with the HK P2000 series of pistols to include an LEM and V3. It seems to be easier to get parts for the P2000 than the PX4 series, HKParts.net is awesome to deal with along with great tutorials on the HKPro forum on how to perform any repair or upgrade you can think of.

I use Surefire's shot timer app on my iPhone even for dryfire. It works at the range (when you're the only one around is when it works best). In a quiet house, you can calibrate it to pick up the sound of your hammer falling with moderate success (works best with DA/LEM guns, actually). Mostly, I just set par-times, random start, and work to get my dry-fire within those par-times. Then at the range you can run the shot timer normally and compare. If you have an idea what your par-times should/want to be, set the timer 10-20% under those times and push yourself. I've maintained solid benchmarks with this routine.

-Rob
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 02-07-2016 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I use Surefire's shot timer app on my iPhone even for dryfire. It works at the range (when you're the only one around is when it works best). In a quiet house, you can calibrate it to pick up the sound of your hammer falling with moderate success (works best with DA/LEM guns, actually). Mostly, I just set par-times, random start, and work to get my dry-fire within those par-times. Then at the range you can run the shot timer normally and compare. If you have an idea what your par-times should/want to be, set the timer 10-20% under those times and push yourself. I've maintained solid benchmarks with this routine.

-Rob
    I've had good luck with this as well, Rob.

I'm usually not shooting in a line, just with my partner, so it is plenty good for what I need right now. Which is a fairly accurate time metric to keep me honest. Random starts and par times for dry practice gets used A LOT!

I real timer is on my birthday wish list, but I'm not in a rush.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Not sure where you are in the NE. Bruce Gray, Jerry Jones and crew run a couple classes per year at Sig Sauer Academy in NH. Practical Fundamentals is an outstanding class to learn the DA/SA trigger.

I understand Mike Pannone was running a CZ for a while.
    I'll take a look into the class at the Academy. It isn't too far away. According to Mike Pannone, he has shot 45,000 rounds with his P09 without any breakages. That at least gives me a little more hope for my CZ (even though my PCR does use the omega trigger system).

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I've trained with 3 of those guys, and I am too lazy to see what your shooting background is, but those classes aren't geared towards newer shooters without previous formal training/competition experience. If you've had no formal instruction, any A class/Expert shooter from USPSA/IDPA could help you out in just a few hours at your local range.
    Thanks for the insight. I'll vet the guys at the range to see who is a decent ranked shooter. Then, I'll dive into some more advanced classes.

Quote Originally Posted by kcevans View Post
    The PX4 Compact or the HK 2000 will work great for what your looking for. I still have a couple PX4's with the compact being my favorite, I have since started playing around with the HK P2000 series of pistols to include an LEM and V3. It seems to be easier to get parts for the P2000 than the PX4 series, HKParts.net is awesome to deal with along with great tutorials on the HKPro forum on how to perform any repair or upgrade you can think of.
    While I may be sticking with the PCR, I think the P2000 is at the top of my list. If I can master the DA/SA trigger, it really opens up some things for me. I would be interested in the PX4 if I could grip chop a fullsize to accept compact mags.

...I think some of the best resources available for getting better at the pure shooting part (especially for those with a gaming interest) are Stoeger and Anderson's dry fire bibles. Worth every penny (and 10 fold that if you're willing to put forth the effort to follow the programs). IMO, there is simply no faster path to higher level technical skill. And mind you I'm not recommending them instead of classes or other available resources, but rather in addition to them.

I think, to a large extent, it's the organization (the program) that is so effective and helpful. Matt, I think you'll find them pretty valuable in finding direction for your live fire practice also. Again, not to take anything away from all the great drills in the DOTWs, etc… But they seem to be more 'drills in isolation'. Although I think Gabe is reshaping that to some extent.

Oh, and I'd shoot the shit outta that CZ (or a duplicate/similar/full sized one) for a while and see how she shakes out in stock form. You might be pleasantly surprised. And the DA AND SA effort will pay miles of dividends to your trigger control down the road.
    Completely agree! If you want a ready-made dry practice program that is well constructed and holds a lot of potential for improvement, I'd wholeheartedly recommend Ben Stoeger's material.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Alright, I've decided to stick with the CZ. I haven't had any issues with it, so I'll be picking up a couple more mags, a copy of Ben Stoeger's dry fire book, and a timer. I'm torn between the Shotmaxx and the Pocket Pro II. I don't want to be pulling out my phone all the time on the range to use a app timer.
    Last edited by Matthew; 02-09-2016 at 06:24 PM.

User Tag List