Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maxpedition Liger Belt

I have not tried a Liger Belt though they looked interesting, I'm stuck on the Wilderness Instructor. Another option as someone mentioned they were looking for a new option, take a look at Ares Gear ranger belt. I've been impressed with it thus far.

Mine work great. Some kydex gear slides around a little bit (Blade Tech) and some does not (Raven). It does not set off the metal detector in the airport.

I am going to buy another.

My only concern is that it does get sweaty under the belt in the summer..but I live in Minnesota so that is a two month problem.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    How would you say it is not perfect?
    For me, it is a little narrower than I would prefer. Mine mikes at 1.45" ( I think), whereas my leather belts are all a bit over 1.5". I find that wider is more comfortable, but am unwilling to go to 1.75 for a variety of reasons. Also, the thinness of the belt is one of the reasons I still wear it, but that, combined with the narrower width, leaves a lot of room in some holster/mag pouch belt loops. Getting the loops custom cut to fit the Liger means that they won't fit any other belt I own. As far as stuff sliding around on them, some does some doesn't. Sometimes that's good, sometimes that's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    For me, it is a little narrower than I would prefer. Mine mikes at 1.45" ( I think), whereas my leather belts are all a bit over 1.5". I find that wider is more comfortable, but am unwilling to go to 1.75 for a variety of reasons. Also, the thinness of the belt is one of the reasons I still wear it, but that, combined with the narrower width, leaves a lot of room in some holster/mag pouch belt loops. Getting the loops custom cut to fit the Liger means that they won't fit any other belt I own. As far as stuff sliding around on them, some does some doesn't. Sometimes that's good, sometimes that's bad.
    Should be fine for me then, I am using a 1.25" belt and managing now. I imagine a 1.45" will be a hell of an improvement. Any other downfalls will have to come at the expense of not looking like grandpappy's belt.

Site Supporter
    I have two. both are 5 plus years old and have held up well. As someone who often has to dress up (jacket and tie) nearly every day, if I was only going to own one belt, the Liger would be it.

The other belts I own/use are a tapered Rafter S dress gunbelt and a Wilderness 5 stich with the insert.

Site Supporter
    I find my liger belt to be significantly less comfortable than a leather belt. I think this has a lot to do with where my pants sit and how skinny I am. Unlike leather, or, even to some extent nylon, the "ligerthane" material has absolutely zero stretch. While this makes for a very stable belt, it also means that the belt doesn't flex at all with movement, which made the belt feel like it was digging in to my hip bones when it was tight enough to support a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Should be fine for me then, I am using a 1.25" belt and managing now. I imagine a 1.45" will be a hell of an improvement. Any other downfalls will have to come at the expense of not looking like grandpappy's belt.
    Not to derail this, but not all leather stuff looks like it was cobbled together at the turn of the century...these are obviously exotics, but the nicest looking belt I ever made was plain old black cowhide.

Lou Alessi always made a belt that looked like it would go with a business suit, with nicely skived edges, to give it that domed shape.

I think asthetics are lost on a lot of leather belts these days, but they don't have to be.

Luckily I had a good mentor...

I have the exact Liger pictured, and as others have said, its nice but not perfect. Kydex can tend to slip around, and the belt is not as rigid as say a Wilderness belt. Where the Wilderness belt shines, IMO, is stiffness and the ability to cinch the belt to a "just right" amount of tightness rather than a predetermined belt buckle hole.

However, I have wore out the velcro on two Wilderness belt, I'd give the Liger the edge here for longevity. Releasing the Liger is actually very easy, contrary to what some have said. Rather than try to unbuckle the belt by pulling on the buckle, push both ends of the belt together and the buckle hook slides right out of the hole.

If you need a dressier belt, the Liger is a decent choice. If your belt is going to be hidden I'd go with a Wilderness option.

Liger Belt and Wilderness Belt Alternative

I have a Jones Tactical Cobra Shooters Belt (http://jonestactical.com/index.php?o...&id=1&Itemid=3) that I wear every day with jeans or khakis. The buckle looks a little more polished than the Wilderness Belts, which I wore for 5 years. Jones also makes a two tone Cobra Every Day Belt (http://jonestactical.com/index.php?o...&id=7&Itemid=9) that is a lot less tactical looking. I have never tried it, but can attest to the great customer service, pricing, and quick turnarounds that Jones provides.

Quote Originally Posted by 629TrainingConcepts View Post
    I have a Jones Tactical Cobra Shooters Belt (http://jonestactical.com/index.php?o...&id=1&Itemid=3) that I wear every day with jeans or khakis. The buckle looks a little more polished than the Wilderness Belts, which I wore for 5 years. Jones also makes a two tone Cobra Every Day Belt (http://jonestactical.com/index.php?o...&id=7&Itemid=9) that is a lot less tactical looking. I have never tried it, but can attest to the great customer service, pricing, and quick turnarounds that Jones provides.
    Bear in mind that the belt needs to be used for business casual wear, ie leather or leather looking.

User Tag List