Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations for muck type boots

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The Muck boot sole is stiffer. The Bogs sole is more flexible, and I can fly a tail dragger with them.

Is that like running a game?

In lower 48, I see more Muck boots. In Alaska, I see about ten pairs of Bogs for every set of Muck boots.

Why?

A tail dragger is an aircraft with the main landing gear up front, and the third wheel in back. That offers advantages landing off airport, but is twitchy, and will ground loop (crash) without constant attention. Part of the technique of flying a tail dragger is using rudder when you want, brakes when you want, but not when you don't want them. The flexible sole of the Bogs boot works better the stiffer Muck boot sole. Pilots obcess over footwear like we do here over holsters.

The Bogs boots for girls, like I linked, are functional but also pretty. Most common boot you see on girls during the winter months in AK, which are most of the months.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Because I'm out in various snake habitats my Muck's are one of their snake versions. As GJM says the soles are definitely stiff. I don't think they're comfortable for all day wear but there aren't a lot of truly dry options when wading Cottonmouth territory.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A tail dragger is an aircraft with the main landing gear up front, and the third wheel in back. That offers advantages landing off airport, but is twitchy, and will ground loop (crash) without constant attention. Part of the technique of flying a tail dragger is using rudder when you want, brakes when you want, but not when you don't want them. The flexible sole of the Bogs boot works better the stiffer Muck boot sole. Pilots obcess over footwear like we do here over holsters.

The Bogs boots for girls, like I linked, are functional but also pretty. Most common boot you see on girls during the winter months in AK, which are most of the months.
    So aside from flying, the popularity of the Bogs is based on fashion for women?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    So aside from flying, the popularity of the Bogs is based on fashion for women?

Flying aside, I prefer Bogs for general wear (driving, around town, snowshoeing). I have one pair of Muck boots and have a half dozen pairs of Bogs around in various stages of being worn out, and wear them so much, I wear out a pair a year.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List