Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: More Trigger Finger, Really?

I haven't watched the video, but I read all the comments and the quoted statement from Mr. Macnamara. I have always put my finger as far through the trigger guard as possible. On DA/SA Sigs, this means that I'm pulling with my first joint. Never been an issue. On 1911's, I can be past the first joint. Not an issue. On Glocks I'm on or past the joint. Not an issue.

My fingers are a bit too short to do this with most pistols; however, back in '04 I was introduced to this with the M16/M4 family. Gave it a try and found that for me, and subsequently for some others, using the second pad of the trigger finger does wonders. If I could consistently do it with handguns I would.

I've "cured" many of our officers from shooting left (of course with lefties it's the opposite...) with their Glocks via having them get the first crease on the trigger and run it like one would a DA revolver.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Not only do I completely agree with this, I have seen it work time and time again in teaching new recruits. We train 60+ new officers at a time, almost everyone is running a polymer framed, striker fired pistol. We see it so much, we refer to it as "Glock Grouping." Glocks tend to shoot low left for almost everyone that shoots them. Almost immediately, when we get the student to insert more trigger finger into the trigger, the groups move right.

My personal "theory" is that the reach from the backstrap to the trigger face is longer than it seems. This causes the finger to not be deep enough. This causes just the tip of the finger to be on the trigger face. When pressure is applied to the trigger to bring it to the rear, it actually causes the shooter to push the weapon left, instead of pulling straight back. More trigger finger applied immediately fixes the issue. I have seen it work many, many times. Too many for it to be a fluke, or coincidence. If the shooter will consistently bury more finger into the Glock trigger, the issue will be resolved.
    This is why you see MANY rear sights on Glocks that are drifted to the right.
    I REALLY think Pat is correct, as I have seen it first hand while training new shooters, and recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasHK View Post
    Not only do I completely agree with this, I have seen it work time and time again in teaching new recruits. We train 60+ new officers at a time, almost everyone is running a polymer framed, striker fired pistol. We see it so much, we refer to it as "Glock Grouping." Glocks tend to shoot low left for almost everyone that shoots them. Almost immediately, when we get the student to insert more trigger finger into the trigger, the groups move right.

My personal "theory" is that the reach from the backstrap to the trigger face is longer than it seems. This causes the finger to not be deep enough. This causes just the tip of the finger to be on the trigger face. When pressure is applied to the trigger to bring it to the rear, it actually causes the shooter to push the weapon left, instead of pulling straight back. More trigger finger applied immediately fixes the issue. I have seen it work many, many times. Too many for it to be a fluke, or coincidence. If the shooter will consistently bury more finger into the Glock trigger, the issue will be resolved.
    This is why you see MANY rear sights on Glocks that are drifted to the right.
    I REALLY think Pat is correct, as I have seen it first hand while training new shooters, and recruits.
    Could I follow up on this, as a new shooter with persistent 'low and away' groups?

Would this argue for switching to smaller backstraps/panels (in my case for my VP9) or is it a case of just burying the trigger finger?

Site Supporter
    U
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Could I follow up on this, as a new shooter with persistent 'low and away' groups?

Would this argue for switching to smaller backstraps/panels (in my case for my VP9) or is it a case of just burying the trigger finger?
    If you are pushing shots to the left, then it is worth a try. You should have a little bit less of an issue because the trigger face on the VP nine is flatter than the Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    U

If you are pushing shots to the left, then it is worth a try. You should have a little bit less of an issue because the trigger face on the VP nine is flatter than the Glock.
    Thanks, am up in NC with family this week, but will give this a try next chance.

Kyle Defoor is another proponent of moar trigger finger.

Mac and Kyle recommending this for just a Glock or all pistols?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If I go to much past the pad then my trigger finger scrapes my support hand causing weird issues.

User Tag List