Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: More Trigger Finger, Really?

It's a challenge finding the right trigger finger placement when you have monkey hands (paws?). I've tried doing it the "correct" way, but using a little more finger on the trigger works better for me. I don't to put in writing how I shoot a J-frame for fear of a lifetime Internet ban.
    Last edited by Warren Wilson; 12-26-2015 at 12:36 AM. Reason: I can't type.

First answer. "It depends"

Second answer. "On your dick beaters"

Third to infinity answer. "And a lot of other factors"

What gun are you shooting? What trigger does it have? What target, distance and speed are you shooting? Etc, etc, etc...

Reading from the Book of Armaments: "More finger on the trigger only works in certain circumstances...such as when you need more finger on the trigger. At other times, it is a simple stupid default answer that does not work."

"Thank you Brother Maynard"

Gringo "A Duck!" p
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    First answer. "It depends"

Second answer. "On your dick beaters"

Third to infinity answer. "And a lot of other factors"

What gun are you shooting? What trigger does it have? What target, distance and speed are you shooting? Etc, etc, etc...

Reading from the Book of Armaments: "More finger on the trigger only works in certain circumstances...such as when you need more finger on the trigger. At other times, it is a simple stupid default answer that does not work."

"Thank you Brother Maynard"

Gringo "A Duck!" p
    This ^^^^^

Those trigger finger charts floating around the internet are BS. Proper trigger finger placement is what ever will allow you to pull the trigger straight to the rear and finish flat. Particularly with the Glock,

I have XXL hands. For most handguns, I shoot middle of the pad. For DA revolvers and particularly Glocks. I shoot first crease.

Actually with the Glock, I can shoot either tip of the finger (hook and curl) or the crease and get centered hits. If I shoot middle of the pad everything is to the left. The tip gives abit better control in slow fire but I've defaulted to the crease because it is more consistent at speed.

Sinking the finger / natural lay of the finger is nothing new - the U.S Army AMU has been teaching it for years for both pistol and rifle. It works very well, especially with one of those god awful 10lb 3 round burst triggers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post

I've found Glock pistols in particular are sensitive to trigger finger placement, and more trigger finger certainly helps keep my groups centered. I tend to notice it when I've stepped away from Glock for an extended period. Try it. And the instructor was not Mr. McNamara, but another top level competitive shooter.
    Yes. Surf does a great job explaining why in his trigger control videos. Basically if you viewed the. Glock trigger from the top, it is much rounder than most triggers, plus you have the trigger safety sticking out from the apex. So a right handed shooter engaging the trigger with the middle of the pad will "teeter - toter" on the trigger safety and engage only the trigger safety and the left side of the trigger . As a result, they pull the trigger to their right rear (4 o'clock) instead of straight to the rear( 6 o'clock. This in turn pushes the muzzle to the shooters 10' o'clock pushing their shots to the left.

This also explains the popularity of aftermarket flat replacement triggers for the Glock.

Site Supporter
    I find that I tend not to use the "correct" trigger finger placement.

The best way I have found to find it, is play around with it in dry fire, you will see via your sights when you have found the best place on your finger to press the trigger.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

I just get my finger far enough in that I can get a good straight press to the gear. Trigger is on a different portion of my finger whether I'm shooting a G19 or Shield or J-frame. When I took Fishers Critial Handgun class he taught me to get more finger in the trigger. With how big Fisher's paws are it wouldn't surprise me if he was the one who gave the tip. Dude gripping a government model 1911 looks like me holding a Sig 238.

I've got a feeling I'd be flogged if folks saw how much finger I use on a J-Frame, but damn if it don't work pretty good for me out to 25 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Mr. McNamara is a fan of the 1911 pistol as well as the Glock -- I wonder if he uses that same trigger technique for the 1911. I typically get a lot of finger on the trigger of revolvers and striker-fired guns, but I use just the pad for the 1911.
    He adopted this technique when transitioning from the 1911 to the Glock.

Soldier Systems - Gunfighter Moment - Pat McNamara

Gunfighter Moment – Pat McNamara

The king daddy of all marksmanship fundamentals is Trigger Control. I do not consider this debatable. Partially due to the fact that I cannot see my front sight anymore. It’s there and visible on target but all a blur. I’m still quite capable of knocking the X ring out at 25 though.

My teaching of trigger control differs from many other of my fellow credible instructors who I respect.

When I transitioned from 1911 to Glock 19 (For administrative reasons) about a decade ago, I would push my group to my non-firing side. Frustrated, I called a friend at the AMU and asked his advice. He told me that he puts so much finger on the trigger that when complete with his trigger squeeze, he can drop his magazine with his trigger finger. This became my magic elixir. Since sinking my finger, I’ve straightened out my group. I teach this as well with some push back mind you.

In my opinion, splitting the distal phalange, or finger tip, is an anachronism. When using this method, the trigger finger is essentially a fulcrum where sinking the finger becomes a vice. The vice pulls evenly while the fulcrum speeds up at the end of the squeeze. I’m not suggesting that I am right and that this is law. I will add though, that if you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

Patrick McNamara
    SGM, US Army (Ret)
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 12-26-2015 at 10:07 AM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

What Mac suggests in that video is the only way I can shoot. I spent a lot of time using just the pad or just to the first knuckle crease and always struggled. Once I gave it more finger, *phrasing*, I was able to overcome the problems I was having with trigger control.

I grew up in a world where you carried and learned how to shoot a DA revolver (S&W of course...). If you shot a pistol, it was a 1911. There really isn't a third choice. You learned to sink more finger on the DA trigger of the DA revolver. I would sink so much trigger on my DA revolver that I could stage the DA trigger pull if I wanted to by touching the tips of my trigger finger to my thumb. My 1911's required a different finger placement. But it was easy to distinguish between the needs of the two.

The face of the Glock trigger isn't flat. This caused my finger to pivot when I used my "1911" finger placement. I would then notice my groups go left (I'm right handed). Several years ago, I dug out one of the old revolvers from the back of the safe and was dry firing it. I was frustrated with a recent trip to the range with a Glock 19. While dry firing the revolver, something made me think about finger placement on my Glocks. I ignored how I was "supposed" to place my finger on a semi auto pistol, and tried to dry fire my Glock like it was my K-Frame revolver. It took a few minutes to find the sweet spot for my finger on the Glock, but what I was basically doing was to, "Sink more finger on it".

I've never met Mac. But I agree with what he said on his video. And I rather enjoyed his no BS approach to explaining the process.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 12-26-2015 at 10:43 AM.

User Tag List