Thread: 5 Shotleather & Keepers Appendix Holsters

5 Shotleather & Keepers Appendix Holsters

Good Day

I see that both of these appendix holsters (5 shot leather and Keepers Concealment) have been discussed thru many of the current threads.

I am looking for feedback from those that have used both. Which one did you prefer and why?

Thanks in advance
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

I've got both a 5-Shot SME and Keeper in Glock 17 size, and have carried both quite a bit. For whatever it's worth, I've sort of settled on the Keeper, and to be honest, I think that's more a function of just being happy with Kydex over leather. Both conceal well for me, and both are comfortable, but they achieve concealment/tuck in different ways (the keeper with a wedge and foam pads, the SME with some wedge and the "wing"). I think the Keeper is more adjustable, and will be a little more versatile in that aspect. The wing on the SME fixes its placement on the body (o'clock position around the belt line) a little more for me due to interaction with my leg crease. I run my AIWB very much up front (12-12:30) but I know some guys slide it more towards 1-1:30 and that may be a factor - fit is just so individual it's hard to say, but something to be aware of.

Another note on the SME is that I purchased mine 2nd-hand, and the previous owner had it made with an extra 1/4" of ride height. I would recommend discussing that with 5-shot, if it rode any lower, I'd start getting belt-knuckle interference. This effect may be better/worse depending on gun model (square Glock grip vs. round M&P, whatever) and your hand/finger size, etc. But I probably would have been less happy with it had I not lucked into the 1-off version.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I also have both a 5-shot SME and Keeper (G17). Love them both and can't decide which is better. I think the SME is a little bit more comfortable and concealable (For me) while the Keeper is faster and more adjustable.

I tend to lump them into different enough categories that I'd say get both. Everyone needs a nice leather holster and that's the SME for sure. The Keeper can be a workhorse.

The SME being a wing based holster with a little less bulge under the belt and a lower ride is a "dress" holster for me.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Here's my attempt at some comparison pics -- a few disclaimers/background info bits:
    I'm 5'10", 185.
    I'm using a G17 in these pics; I usually carry a G19 or 17 with chop, which gives a higher margin of error on "almost prints" than the 17.
    My wife is a photographer, I am not. I'm nearly as bad at photo editing, too.
    Belt is a Wilderness frequent flier, and the buckle is over on my right side. This helps with concealment but makes bathroom breaks a bit more awkward. One-holers with locking doors, FTW.

Both holsters, G17 for reference: SME left, Keeper right

Thickness/wedge view: SME left, Keeper right

Under a sweater, classic static internet pose: SME left, Keeper right

Under sweater, pulled tight for "max printing": SME left, Keeper right

Revealed: SME left, Keeper right

POV "check out my $9 Academy shoes" shot: SME left, Keeper right
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I have both but for different guns. I feel guilty as the SME is getting chewed up so I haven't pursued another.

Going to be doing some more stuff with the Glock this year so I'll probably be wearing the SME a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I've sort of settled on the Keeper, and to be honest, I think that's more a function of just being happy with Kydex over leather.
    I feel the same as LNL, except I prefer leather. But I'd lose no sleep if I had to wear the kydex for the rest of my life, they're both great holsters for me and arguing between them takes a level of nitpicking mastery that I will never achieve.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts as I truly appreciate the feedback.

I currently own the SME for a G17 with rmr and I absolutely love it. I have been re-reading the reviews on the Keepers holsters and was itching to pick one up but really was unsure what if any difference there would be between the two. Based on the feedback received, I think I'll hold off on ordering the Keeper for now.

This is one of the best forums as everyone shares their no-nonsense reviews...for which I am truly grateful.

All the best
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

User Tag List