Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaving Car Doors Unlocked?

Pretty much anything that makes it easier for criminals to do criminal stuff is ineffectual in the long term. Most burglars are young, opportunistic feral humans. They don't want to make noise by smashing a window. That would limit the number of targets they can hit. It's worth it for a lone burglary of a vehicle with a high reward; e.g. the high-end stereo equipment advertised in the back window. For the most part, IME, burglars park some distance away, walk around neighborhoods looking for unlocked car and take change, sunglasses, GPS units, stereos, speakers and anything else of value. When I was a small town cop, our police commissioner had his tailgate stolen. He didn't even notice it the first time he drove it.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Like I said, when I lived here: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7754...8i6656!6m1!1e1 I came out on two occasions to find multiple cars with broken windows.

I'm sure it's different where you live.

I've lived in places where people left cars unlocked and the keys in the ignition or under the floor mat because the most likely person to look in the car was a neighbor or relative who needed it. I've lived in places where one left nothing of value in the car for fear of theft. Different places have different rules. It behooves one to find out the rules of any new place one lives in.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Good way to turn your car into a homeless portapotty.

Or a Soup Kitchen...

We have tweekers who load bikes up in the bed of a pickup, park away from the neighborhood, and ride in to steal stuff. We also get roaming gangs of juvies (4-6) who walk down neighborhood streets looking for unlocked cars.

One of my dogs best finds this year was a little thug who got caught in a car, had to run and hide, and got sniffed out by dog over a fence. He climbed over the fence and gave up pretty quick. I love catching burglars!!

My cars are always locked and nothing shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    If a hobo wants to rummage through my console looking for quarters, I'd rather they not have to bust a hunnert-dollar window to do it.
    I'm incapable of being OK with that. I grew up in the rural Midwest where respect for other people's property was ingrained. This behavior was reinforced by farmers keeping dogs in the yard and shotguns by the kitchen door.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I'm incapable of being OK with that. I grew up in the rural Midwest where respect for other people's property was ingrained. This behavior was reinforced by farmers keeping dogs in the yard and shotguns by the kitchen door.
    I'm not okay with it. It's a nasty feeling to come out and find your car door ajar and the old fast food receipts tumbled from the console by some lowdown thief's grubby paws. It was probably a worse feeling for my neighbor, who found the same thing, plus a broken window.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Brings new meaning to "stupid is as stupid does".......
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Please keep your windows up and doors locked.

Please.

Site Supporter
    Windows up. Locked. Noting in plain sight. And if you have a really old car configure a way to keep hood closed.

I've lost multiple car batteries, carburetors, air cleaners, distributor caps, etc....when I lived in AZ.

Every once in a while our neighborhood will get hit with people doing door pulls.

It's a good idea to make sure your car is locked. Just clicking the key fob doesn't mean the doors are locked. I visually check and walk around the vehicle pulling on each handle.

JR1572

User Tag List