Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need copies of your dept policy on a few things

Need copies of your dept policy on a few things

I am going to be typing up and submitting policy changes which I may have to pitch in person to the commish and would really appreciate anyone who can forward me their depts policy on the subject.

Also if anyone has any additional info which would help that would be appreciated as well.

Topics:

Personally owned long guns carried on duty / anti pool rifle argument

Backup gun

Outer vest carriers as part of standard uniform.

Uniform types and the ability to choose what uniform you wear at whatever time of the year - LAPD for example, long sleeve short sleeve can be worn whenever no decision need be made for that change on time of year.

Specfic uniform requirement for court appearance.

Thanks
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Pm me your work email and I'll send ours out to ya.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

PM Sent.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I am going to be typing up and submitting policy changes which I may have to pitch in person to the commish and would really appreciate anyone who can forward me their depts policy on the subject.

Also if anyone has any additional info which would help that would be appreciated as well.

Topics:

Not allowed. Dont get me started.

Backup gun
    Has to be .38, 9, 40, or 45. Inspected prior to qualification by Department armorer (me or another guy) and qualify with it.

Not allowed

Uniform types and the ability to choose what uniform you wear at whatever time of the year - LAPD for example, long sleeve short sleeve can be worn whenever no decision need be made for that change on time of year.
    They tell us when to change to and from long sleeve. Essentially when the time changes in November we go to long sleeve. In March back to short sleeve. If you have a visible tattoo on your lower arms you are lucky enough to get to wear longsleeves year-round...minus the tie.

Uniform of the day. If you are on a motor or bike you wear uniform of the day. Detectives wear suit.

I know this doesnt help you at all but I needed to vent. Thanks!
    Last edited by KeeFus; 12-22-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Not allowed. Dont get me started.

Has to be .38, 9, 40, or 45. Inspected prior to qualification by Department armorer (me or another guy) and qualify with it.

Not allowed

They tell us when to change to and from long sleeve. Essentially when the time changes in November we go to long sleeve. In March back to short sleeve. If you have a visible tattoo on your lower arms you are lucky enough to get to wear longsleeves year-round...minus the tie.

Uniform of the day. If you are on a motor or bike you wear uniform of the day. Detectives wear suit.

I know this doesnt help you at all but I needed to vent. Thanks!
    Without getting into specifics, I am trying to change a few things and have the ability to do so (which rarely comes around).

Could you please send me your backup gun policy? vdm@vdmsr.com
    VDMSR.com

Without getting into specifics, I am trying to change a few things and have the ability to do so (which rarely comes around).

Could you please send me your backup gun policy? vdm@vdmsr.com
    Yes sir!

I'll send the official policy in email, but here goes:

Topics:

We can carry 223/556 or 308 as long as it meets certain specs. Optics are fine as long as there are BUIS.

Backup gun
    .32acp/38/9/40/45 as long as it's approproved by Chief (he lets the head FI decide). Method of carry needs approved as well but it's fairly liberal. Most guys use vest or pocket carry.

Allowed, but only the uniform looking external carrier. Not a molle style.

We got this approved a couple years ago. We have the option of traditional class B style uniform (S/S or L/S, ties not mandatory with L/S turtle necks are an option) or a uniform polo and bdu style pants.

Specific uniform requirement for court appearance.
    Uniform of the day or suit.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Any known manufacturer. Has to be capable of holding 5 rounds before a reload. Magnified optics are not allowed unless you are a SWAT sniper. The only optics allowed are from Aimpoint, Eotech or Trijicon on company rifles and they have to be co-witnessed. Personally owned weapons are allowed any non magnified optic. The only ammo supplied is .223.

Backup gun
    Any known manufacturer .22 and up. Multiple back up guns allowed.

Outer vests are issued. You are allowed to use outer or inner vest.

We are issued a couple of long sleeve and 4 short sleeved shirts. We can wear either any time of year. Pants are BDU but some do wear the class A wool pants year round and that is ok as well.

Patrol uniform or Class A but it has to be a uniform. No suits even for detectives.

owned long guns carried on duty / anti pool rifle argument
    Everyone authorized to carry a long gun typically carries their own. There are pool rifles, but I have yet to meet someone that uses one - as soon as people have received the mandated training, they will purchase (or build) their own rifle. The upper and lower must come from the same company and must be manufactured by Colt, Daniel Defense, LaRue, Lewis Machine and Tool, Rock River, Noveske, Smith & Wesson, Bravo, or Knight's Armament. Just about everyone uses some sort of optic, but we are required to have back up iron sights.

Backup gun
    Any semi-auto made by Smith, Beretta, HK, Sig, or Glock chambered in .32 to .45. No single-action autos. Revolvers in .38 +p made by Smith or Ruger. No ankle holsters, though in practice some people use them anyways. Other than that, carry the backup any way you want as long as it is hidden from public view. This is pretty similar to our duty weapon policy. Like just about everyone else, we are issued G22s, but a significant number of people (though not most) just turn it back in and spend the money for their own support gear and weapon. Most of them purchase Sigs and the rest purchase HKs. The armory recommends those two as they have the parts for them. Just about everyone purchasing their own weapon use 9x19.

My agency issues carriers upon request, but it is not automatic. We have a standard carrier with pockets/pouches up front for radio/baton/note pads/magazines/etc. The issued carrier is the only one we are authorized to use, but again, a lot of people purchase their own molle carrier because it is easier to set their gear up the way they want. The department tends to look the other way because the prevailing culture is more or less "use what works for you, just look good." The carrier is this model by Safariland. In my opinion, Molle is preferable. Most people are using the external carriers because it can be taken off at the sub when you are writing and it takes the weight off your lower back.

Class A, Class B 5.11s, and Polos. In the last three or so years, things have definitely become more casual. Class B uniforms are pretty much authorized for everything. Class A when it makes sense (meeting with command staff, official events, etc.). Long sleeve/short sleeve is up to you, wear what you want. No visible tattoos, but that doesn't have to mean long sleeve, you can wear tattoo covers with a short sleeve uniform. No shorts except for certain assignments. Polo for special assignments. We are only supposed to wear the external carrier with Polos or Class Bs, but in practice some wear it with Class A uniforms. Once again, as long as you are presentable, people will be happy. This amount of flexibility, in my experience, makes a huge positive impact on moral.

I am not aware of any policy governing this, but the reason you would show up in anything besides class A or a suit escapes me. I am in a plain clothes assignment, and I still wear Class As to court (when testifying, not if I'm going there for other reasons). Maybe those assigned to undercover assignments would have a reason, but I don't know. After all, I want my side to win, and looking like you are locked on will certainly make an impression with the court/jury. I'm not an expert on this, however. I'm sure there are legitimate reasons to wear a Pendleton and Dickies to court...

Thanks for the responses, would mind forwarding me your written policy on the topics?

Quick question as well, those of you that have accreditation issues to contend with, do any of the above fall into your accreditation process?
    VDMSR.com

User Tag List