Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen4/RSA/Accuracy Question

Gen4/RSA/Accuracy Question

A lot of people here have seen better accuracy out of Gen4 9mm Glocks than from the Gen3s. I'm curious if anyone using such a 'more accurate Gen4 9mm' has changed out the recoil spring to a lighter weight (requires an adapter), like 13 or 15 lbs for example, and then noticed whether the gun maintains its good accuracy? I've read many comments attributing greater Gen4 accuracy to 'tighter lockup' and I wonder how much of that is from the OEM RSA.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Guess I need to add a 4th gen 17.......for science. Seriously, I've been thinking about picking up a 4th gen to see for myself how much difference between them and the 2nd and 3rd gen guns I own. I wonder if it's heavier/longer lockup or tighter tolerances across the board?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    A lot of people here have seen better accuracy out of Gen4 9mm Glocks than from the Gen3s. I'm curious if anyone using such a 'more accurate Gen4 9mm' has changed out the recoil spring to a lighter weight (requires an adapter), like 13 or 15 lbs for example, and then noticed whether the gun maintains its good accuracy? I've read many comments attributing greater Gen4 accuracy to 'tighter lockup' and I wonder how much of that is from the OEM RSA.
    In my experience of dozens in my hand of both models, the barrel is fit better in most Gen 4 9mm's. The best fitted I've seen were some Gen 4 G19's.

I currently have a Gen4 G17 and a Gen4 G19, and I used to have a Gen4 G26. I didn’t test the G26 much for accuracy because it was too slow to reload and I sold it.

The G17 has a Gen3 trigger bar and a couple of polished internal parts, plus Meprolight adjustable night sights. The G19 is stock except for the sights. All springs are stock in both guns, including the RSAs.

At 25 yards, both guns shoot very well. At 50 yards the G17 shoots most factory 147-grain ammo as well as my Gen3 guns with Wilson barrels shoot handloads. With other bullet weights beyond 25 yards, it’s unimpressive. The G19 runs with my HK VP9 and the P30 I sold last summer. It's shockingly accurate, as is another Gen4 G19 that I test-fired for a buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    In my experience of dozens in my hand of both models, the barrel is fit better in most Gen 4 9mm's. The best fitted I've seen were some Gen 4 G19's.
    I’ve done some research on Glock barrels, and apparently the Gen3 and Gen4 barrels are the same, so the “fitting” might be in the slide or locking block. Not sure, though...

Whatever it is, it's a dramatic improvement over Glock accuracy of yore.

Okie John

I have tested it in 9mm and .40. Spring weight didn't seem to affect accuracy. With that said the Gen 3s I have made in 2015 are just as accurate as my Gen 4 guns. As far as I am aware all the accuracy enhancements made to the Gen 4 barrels were rolled out to the entire line to include Gen 3 guns within the last year or two.

Back when I shot the .40 for PPC, I noticed that the accuracy of the Gen4 pistols was better, maybe by about 5% as compared to a stock Gen3 (not a recent, at the time, gun). The accuracy was effectively the same, even when swapping recoil springs to a lighter unit - you just needed sufficient spring tension to ensure that things returned to lock-up (Even a weak spring did the job well. Interesting that Glocks are effectively "blowback"ish guns...)

The aftermarket barrel really made a larger difference in accuracy - BarSto in this case - maybe because the hood was that much tighter, or I dunno... It worked significantly better, on order of 50% better, easily...

Had a (rare for me) chance yesterday to do some pistol vs. rifle...

Test 1: MGM B/C type target at 243 yards. Tested time to first hit, starting at low ready with safety on.

G34 (iron sights): 5.48, hit on third shot
    You got concerns about Gen3 accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    You got concerns about Gen3 accuracy?
    No, but it nags at me a little if I could be shooting pretty much the same gun that's more accurate. Sooner or later I'll get into Gen4s. I'd probably respring it though, hence the question. No point if it's largely related to 'tighter lockup' by virtue of the RSA, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

Thanks for the insights, everybody.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I've had several Gen4's including 3x G19's at one point (now only 1), G26, G17, G34, sold the Gen4 g17 and g34 - both were as accurate as my Gen3 G17 and Gen3 G19.

The Gen3 G17L is considerably more accurate than them all.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

No point if it's largely related to 'tighter lockup' by virtue of the RSA, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.
    Why do you say that? Both of my Gen4 G19s are notably "more accurate" (will print tighter groups- by half) at 25 yards. And I think its due to the dual-spring RSA effecting a more consistent lock-up.

Not trying to be argumentative- just curious.

User Tag List