Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Ankle Carry gun/holster combo that you like?

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand

Kydex shell ankle holsters

Not to necropost, but demonstrating I ran a search.

Does anyone have experience with the alien gear setup using a kydex shell and a sort of brace to keep it from sliding down the ankle, or similar?

http://aliengearholsters.com/ankle-holster.html

If one gets the Galco, I see the calf strap is extra cost, and wonder if it’s worth it over time.

Edit - I was gonna try to see if my sig 365 is viable in this role.
    Last edited by Medusa; 06-18-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    Not to necropost, but demonstrating I ran a search.

Does anyone have experience with the alien gear setup using a kydex shell and a sort of brace to keep it from sliding down the ankle, or similar?

http://aliengearholsters.com/ankle-holster.html

If one gets the Galco, I see the calf strap is extra cost, and wonder if it’s worth it over time.

Edit - I was gonna try to see if my sig 365 is viable in this role.
    Can't speak to the alien gear but can speak to the Galco calf strap. I carried a Glock 26 in an ankle rig for some time and the calf strap did help it from sliding down which not only aided in concealability but also comfort. The padding on the Galco was terrible and the rubbing of the rig on my ankle bone was awful. If I had to do it over I would have gotten an ankle holster from 5 shot leather and used a sub 14 ounce gun.

Ruger LCR 38. Boot grip. Galco ankle lite. I forget it’s there. I also run it on inside of R ankle w grip forward. This allows me to draw either hand and conceals better. The strap for me was not necessary. Unfortunately I’m not convinced ankle carry is a legit defensive option but that’s my mileage yours may be different.

Agreed w above weight of the rig is critical. A light snub compared to fully loaded G26 is significant. I would not go much above a G42 for ankle.
    Last edited by Squib308; 06-19-2019 at 12:41 AM.

Site Supporter
    If any part of the gun was resting on your ankle bone you had it positioned incorrectly. Took a while for me to figure his out. I haven't used a 5 shot or similar rig as the price is a bit much without being able to try one first. I have tried a walther ppk, j frame (442), LCR, glock 26 and a LW officers 1911 on the ankle. The glock and 1911 were both horrible because of the weight. I am not a fan of the LCR as the only speed loaders that work are the HKS, the walther was pretty heavy for what it was, I would rather carry the 26. So that left the 442. I used to wear more of a shoe type booth, so the ankle holsters were a bit easier to wear. However I can tuck the 442 into the top of my zip up danners which helps to protect it against any grabs if I get tangled up with a perp. The 442 also disappears under regular pants, suit pants or jeans so it can be carried off duty as well. I also use the galco ankle lite.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Can't speak to the alien gear but can speak to the Galco calf strap. I carried a Glock 26 in an ankle rig for some time and the calf strap did help it from sliding down which not only aided in concealability but also comfort. The padding on the Galco was terrible and the rubbing of the rig on my ankle bone was awful. If I had to do it over I would have gotten an ankle holster from 5 shot leather and used a sub 14 ounce gun.

I've employed the Galco Ankle Glove.
    Specifically designed for the G26, I've carried the G26, a Walther PPS, and the M&P9c in the same holster.[at different times.]
    All day comfort and security.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Glock 43 or a 642 in the Alessi Ankle Holster. As others have said, you really need to make a concerted effort to get used to ankle carry. Once you do you'll feel naked without it. Not necessarily the fastest mode of carry, but it beats not having a backup if you need it.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Site Supporter
    Ankle carry is terrible for a primary gun, but much better for a small backup gun. I want the absolute smallest, lightest gun possible for this mode of carry. Currently for me that is a Kel-Tec P3AT with a Crimson Trace LaserGuard in a Galco Ankle Lite. I have never found calf straps to be helpful or comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I ordered a Desantis Die Hard for my 365 and appreciate the collective p-f wisdom on this type of holster. I hope it works ok for the limited application I have for it. We will see.

Site Supporter
    Anyone ever tried the Bugbite ankle holster?
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    I ordered a Desantis Die Hard for my 365 and appreciate the collective p-f wisdom on this type of holster. I hope it works ok for the limited application I have for it. We will see.
    I've ankle carried a few different (backup) guns over the years in a few different ankle holsters. I never particularly liked it.

The annoying considerations were: keeping the gun behind my ankle bone; dealing with irritating Velcro; having particular pants with the leg bottoms wide enough (with my large calves); any thumbsnaps abrading the skin of my calves; trying the stabilizing upper straps just further aggravating the Velcro annoyance.

Guns I've ankle carried are a Glock 27, S&W 642, Glock 43, S&W 640. The 642 worked the best.
    Body-armor carry seemed to work the best for me (when I carried a backup on-duty.)

I PARTICULARLY LOOK FOWARD TO A REVIEW OF Rapid Butterfly's experience in the near future, hopefully.

User Tag List