Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ankle Carry gun/holster combo that you like?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I could/did... comfortably concealed, and really run with it. I'm 5'4", stayed around 150# until my heart meds blew me up.

A good point about a counterweight on the opposite ankle. I had Null make me one that carried a "boot knife" in a sheath, and a pouch for a Speed Strip. The knife was on the "inside", the Speed Strip pouch on the "outside". When we began issuing P220s, I had a local saddlemaker cut the Speed Strip pouch off and sew on an open top pouch for another P220 magazine. It is still in that configuration, and a loaded Speed Strip just happens to fit in there perfectly.

I think the Null and the 5-Shot are almost identical so maybe there's hope. Did the knife/mag on the other side not weigh you down even more? I get the balance aspect though.

If I had realized you were 5'4", I would not have given you nearly as much grief over the Katana as I did. Sorry.;-)
    Last edited by SLG; 12-22-2015 at 04:44 PM.

An SP101 in an Alessi Ankle Holster served me well for years, until it failed the stomp test. It would still retain the gun while running, hard, but a hard stomp could dislodge the gun; simple inertia, as I stomped downward, the heavy SP101 tends to stay in place, so the holster is pulled downward off the weapon. I have continued to use it on occasion, as a "driving holster," but not while at work. I have considered trying to craft a retention device.

I acquired a pre-owned Alessi for my new G26, for a test run, as I have moved to mostly using G17 & G19 pistols for most purposes. If successful, and it seems OK thus far, I may ask Null, Ritchie, or 5-Shot to make one with a retention device.

I may add more later; time to suit-up and gear-up for a 12-hour night.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    An SP101 in an Alessi Ankle Holster served me well for years, until it failed the stomp test. It would still retain the gun while running, hard, but a hard stomp could dislodge the gun; simple inertia, as I stomped downward, the heavy SP101 tends to stay in place, so the holster is pulled downward off the weapon. I have continued to use it on occasion, as a "driving holster," but not while at work. I have considered trying to craft a retention device.

I acquired a pre-owned Alessi for my new G26, for a test run, as I have moved to mostly using G17 & G19 pistols for most purposes. If successful, and it seems OK thus far, I may ask Null, Ritchie, or 5-Shot to make one with a retention device.

I may add more later; time to suit-up and gear-up for a 12-hour night.
    5 Shot does a G26 rig with a thumb break.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Did the knife/mag on the other side not weigh you down even more?
    Neither ever "weighed me down". Again, its an acquired taste. But, like all acquired tastes, you have to give it an honest chance.

I got hired six months out of the army. I was working part time at a gun store owned by four local troopers, all of whom prodded me to apply. I really didn't WANT to be a cop, and figured they'd never hire me anyway, because almost every trooper I'd ever seen was at least six feet tall. But that's another story… my point here is, I was around a lot of cops just prior to coming on the job, and most all of them were of the brass balls variety. Saps and back-up guns (usually some variant of J frame) were part of the uniform, as was at least two reloads for the service revolver. So I was inculcated from a very early age, so to speak, to carry a BUG. And in those days, ankle holsters were the method of choice.

When I received notification, to my great surprise, of an Academy report date, my bosses made me sweet brother-in-law deals on a nickle 4" M-19 and a lightly used M-37 flat latch. Troopers had to provide their own pistols in those days; these guys didn't know the HQ plan to make my class the first one that was issued a duty sidearm. I still have the M-37, now wearing Black T and in a safe place. They told me that I would be provided with a full complement of leather gear (Don Hume Sam Browne belt- minus the saber strap-, Hume Jordan River holster, cuff case and dump pouch for extra ammo) for the "magnum", but that I would have to buy my own ankle holster. I don't recall what brand it was, but it was all leather, with dual buckled straps, and did the job.

Of course, I didn't get to wear it until after graduation, so I had no clue what was entailed. But I showed up at the troop that first day of duty with it strapped my left ankle, and wore it or the various other ones I eventually tried every day I put on the uniform, until I switched to a vest holster when we got issued those. I learned quickly to be careful how I sat, to keep it hidden… IOW, to keep my pants cuff from riding up and exposing it. The extra weight on my ankle never bothered me per se; but it did take some getting used. By the time I discovered Mr. Null and his fabulous wares, I actually felt semi-naked without it. Truth, because I walked out of my home more than once having forgotten to strap it on, realized it before I got to the unit, went back and got it.

The knife/extra burrets accessory holder on the right ankle came along in the late 80s. Interesting story as to why, but that's not germane here so I won't add to this rambling post any more than I have to. Again, after a brief "adjustment period", no issues or concerns… or bother. I continued to wear it and the ankle J frame (by this time, an M-642) until the day I retired; even in plain clothes. It is certainly a viable method to carry a BUG.

Here's something to think about, however. Sometime in the 80s, it became fashionable for wanna-be po-lice and other "gunwriters" to pen lofty articles on how cops carried their stuff… those "Dressed For Peace: Armed For Trouble" articles of mental masturbation laid bare our 'secrets', if you will. I remember, like it was yesterday, standing by a magazine rack at a K&B drug store late one night on dog shift. Daughter #3 was fresh out of the valley, wife had forgotten to fill a scrip and buy some Pedialyte, so there I was, waiting on a lethargic slug disguised as a pharmacist.

About five feet away stood a real roach; greasy, stringy hair, grubby jeans, and dirty hightop felony flyers that were all the rage then amongst the "hip" college crowd… well, as hip as one can be in Monroe, Louisiana. Said roach was perusing a Guns and Gear for Armchair Commandos, or some such rag; it had a garish cover. Suddenly, I noticed he was looking intently at my feet. WTF???

Then, HE suddenly realized that he had my full and complete attention. He put the magazine down on the rack, still open to what he had been reading, and beat feet out the door. I followed him, and watched him get into his beat-up Toyota Tercel roach-mobile and drive off... hurriedly. I went back to see what he had been reading, and there was a full three page article, with photos, by a certain felony wanna-be cop, on ankle holsters and how to use them. "Thanks a lot, shitbird", I thought to myself. "Nothing like putting our business on the street."

Sorry for the novella, but there's a point to it; while ankle carry is indeed viable, I'd have a Plan C… if you get my drift.

I have carried a gun on my ankle almost every day, for longer than I can remember. Usually it was a spare, very rarely a primary. For the last 25 years or so, it's been a J-frame in a Ken Null holster. I finally wore the holster out and ordered another last year. Ken was still working then, but had been dealing with some medical issues. He apologized for a two week delivery time! I ordered a replacement for the 642 and one for a Glock 42. The felt backing is really the way to go because it adds padding without being overly hot here in the deep South.

I would have loved to have been able to carry a Glock 26 as backup to my G34 or G17, and tried. Unfortunately, the weight was more than I could deal with. The 642/442 is very comfortable in the Null and reasonably secure. The airweights really are perfect ankle guns! I found, for me, a steel J-frame became a bother by the end of the day. I don't even notice the 642/442. The G42 is also comfortable and very secure due to the fit a semi-auto allows in tightly molded leather.

The rounded boot grip of the revolver is somewhat easier to keep covered depending on the pants you wear. If your slacks are cuffed, they tend to hide a ankle holster a bit better when you sit and stand repeatedly. The square shape of the semi tends to catch the pants and prevent them from sliding over the grip when you stand. I have to pay significantly more attention when wearing the G42 and non-cuffed pants to make sure it's not showing when I stand with normal dress slacks. I little extra length is also a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    The knife/extra burrets accessory holder on the right ankle came along in the late 80s. Interesting story as to why, but that's not germane here so I won't add to this rambling post any more than I have to.

I'm interested to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Same as everyone else. The biggest, most powerful gun I can carry and conceal. :-)
    I hear you but a lot of the folks hear like that style of holster (5 Shot, Alessi, Null) which all seem to be extremely similar. I am sure the quality of construction is great but if you don't like it, I'm assuming it has something to do with either the style of the holster that doesn't fit your ankle or the gun that is why I am curious of the gun.

Ankle Carry gun/holster combo that you like?

I currently use a 26/Alessi combo.

I used a 442/Ken Null combo for a little bit and I was very impressed. LSP972 is spot on, the Null holsters are nice.

JR1572
    Last edited by JR1572; 12-22-2015 at 10:43 PM.

I typically carry a G26 in a Galco ankle glove. If that's not on my ankle I'll opt for a S&W 442. The more I wear the 26 on my ankle the more comfortable it gets. J-frame I hardly even know is there.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I have carried a gun on my ankle almost every day, for longer than I can remember. Usually it was a spare, very rarely a primary. For the last 25 years or so, it's been a J-frame in a Ken Null holster. I finally wore the holster out and ordered another last year. Ken was still working then, but had been dealing with some medical issues. He apologized for a two week delivery time! I ordered a replacement for the 642 and one for a Glock 42. The felt backing is really the way to go because it adds padding without being overly hot here in the deep South.

I would have loved to have been able to carry a Glock 26 as backup to my G34 or G17, and tried. Unfortunately, the weight was more than I could deal with. The 642/442 is very comfortable in the Null and reasonably secure. The airweights really are perfect ankle guns! I found, for me, a steel J-frame became a bother by the end of the day. I don't even notice the 642/442. The G42 is also comfortable and very secure due to the fit a semi-auto allows in tightly molded leather.

The rounded boot grip of the revolver is somewhat easier to keep covered depending on the pants you wear. If your slacks are cuffed, they tend to hide a ankle holster a bit better when you sit and stand repeatedly. The square shape of the semi tends to catch the pants and prevent them from sliding over the grip when you stand. I have to pay significantly more attention when wearing the G42 and non-cuffed pants to make sure it's not showing when I stand with normal dress slacks. I little extra length is also a good thing.
    Great point and something I forgot happened when I ankle carried a g26. I probably forgot because of all the problems I had with it, that was the least and comfort was the biggest. Almost every time I stood up, I had to slightly lift my pant leg a little to readjust it so the pant would slip over the grip/slide portion.

User Tag List