Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ankle Carry gun/holster combo that you like?

S&W 442 in a Galco Ankle Glove. The Renegade holster was great, but they're out of business, I believe.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Carrying a pistol concealed, primary or back-up, is an art. Too many folks try to make science out of it. Only the individual can determine what works for him/her.

I carried a J frame on my ankle, both on and off duty, for many years. When we started wearing vests, I moved it up there; and still carried another J frame (3rd gun) on the ankle when in New Orleans or other likely crime areas.

The problem with ankle carry is that most "ankle" holsters aren't worth a crap. I dunno if the old guy is still alive, much less working, but Ken Null made what is, in my opinion, the ne plus ultra ankle holster. I still have the first one he did for me in 1982, and while just about worn out it is still serviceable. I bought another one in 2002. I have run, jumped fences and fought with both of them, and the only time I ever had the J frame come out of it unintentionally was doing some kicks during a defensive tactics retrainer where I forgot I had the damn thing on. Null used/uses a firm, thick felt backer on the part that fastens round the ankle, and very shortly it conforms itself to the contours of your body there. Most other offerings use that dreaded "sheep's wool" junk, or a nylon-covered foam pad, or something equally unsuitable.

At any rate, comfortable ankle carry is an acquired taste, so to speak. The first rule is, of course, don't try carrying a belt gun (as in, size and weight) down there... guaranteed grief. Some folks can do it without complaint, but we're back to that art vs science paradigm. As noted earlier, guys like Tom who have been doing it for a while, and keep their hand in at it, so to speak, can surprise you with how quickly and efficiently they can present... from any realistic position.

The revolver vs auto question writes an entire new chapter when the subject is back-up/secondary handguns, but we have discussed that numerous times here before, so I won't re-hash it now.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

Alessi and Null make the best ankle rigs and anything that weighs over a pound (loaded) will get old pretty quickly for most folks.

ETA: The most secure leg rig I ever used (probably 25+ years ago) was a neoprene leg sleeve made by Safariland, IIRC. You could NOT dislodge any reasonably sized gun from that thing but it was hot as the devil and it carried the gun well above ankle, making it only usable with full cut pant legs.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 12-22-2015 at 02:44 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    S&W 442 in a Galco Ankle Glove. The Renegade holster was great, but they're out of business, I believe.

Wilderness is making the Renegade product now.

http://www.thewilderness.com/ankle-h...ankle-holster/
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like they changed it some, and jacked the price up too.

Glock 42 in a Blackhawk! ankle rig. The Glock is the smallest/lightest pistol I can actually shoot. The blackhawk rig is lightweight. I have a shield and a glock 43, but those options strike me as too big. I had a shield down there for a while, didn't like it.

Size and weight are big factors to me. If I put too much weight on my ankle, my knee starts to hurt after a while.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

Timely thread. I've played with ankle carry a small bit over the years, and it has just never worked for me for a variety of reasons. I'm currently wearing a 5 shot rig to give it a more serious try. So far, I hate it. Not the holster, as it is John's usual high quality work. Its that I may just be too small to use the Deagle as a BUG. I figured, since Arnold could do it, so could I. I've always known that you need to give it a few weeks, but I don't know if I'll last that long. I'm only wearing it in the house right now, since I don't want to risk scuffing my gold plated dino-roller. I may have to switch to the Elmer light, AKA the 4" Mtn gun. Seems like a cop-out though. :-)

Is anyone here on the shorter/lighter side successfully carrying a BUG on their ankle? As in comfortably and concealed? Can you really run with it? Not the fat cop hustle, but a real run? I have pretty big calves, and a tapered ankle (no cankles here!), but find it hard to really conceal to my standard.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Is anyone here on the shorter/lighter side successfully carrying a BUG on their ankle? As in comfortably and concealed? Can you really run with it? Not the fat cop hustle, but a real run?
    I could/did... comfortably concealed, and really run with it. I'm 5'4", stayed around 150# until my heart meds blew me up.

A good point about a counterweight on the opposite ankle. I had Null make me one that carried a "boot knife" in a sheath, and a pouch for a Speed Strip. The knife was on the "inside", the Speed Strip pouch on the "outside". When we began issuing P220s, I had a local saddlemaker cut the Speed Strip pouch off and sew on an open top pouch for another P220 magazine. It is still in that configuration, and a loaded Speed Strip just happens to fit in there perfectly.

SLG, studying your query a bit more, I should add that all of my ankle carrying was done wearing low-quarter shoes; usually RockPorts. Boots really complicate leg/ankle carry; especially if you have heavy/thick calves. You can just about forget a revolver for that- the cylinder bulge will do a number on that big nerve that runs down the inside of your leg. Of course, you can strap the holster to the OUTSIDE of the boot... but there goes your concealment.

Again... its an art, and a series of compromises.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Timely thread. I've played with ankle carry a small bit over the years, and it has just never worked for me for a variety of reasons. I'm currently wearing a 5 shot rig to give it a more serious try. So far, I hate it. Not the holster, as it is John's usual high quality work. Its that I may just be too small to use the Deagle as a BUG. I figured, since Arnold could do it, so could I. I've always known that you need to give it a few weeks, but I don't know if I'll last that long. I'm only wearing it in the house right now, since I don't want to risk scuffing my gold plated dino-roller. I may have to switch to the Elmer light, AKA the 4" Mtn gun. Seems like a cop-out though. :-)

Is anyone here on the shorter/lighter side successfully carrying a BUG on their ankle? As in comfortably and concealed? Can you really run with it? Not the fat cop hustle, but a real run? I have pretty big calves, and a tapered ankle (no cankles here!), but find it hard to really conceal to my standard.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    I'm confused...what do you carry on your ankle in the 5 Shot rig?

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I'm confused...what do you carry on your ankle in the 5 Shot rig?
    Same as everyone else. The biggest, most powerful gun I can carry and conceal. :-)

User Tag List