Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ankle Carry gun/holster combo that you like?

Ankle Carry gun/holster combo that you like?

Was looking for opinions on ankle carry for backup. I carry a g19/g26 as primary but was thinking if I could carry a backup comfortably (hopefully like it wasn't even there) then why not? I at one point carried a g26 in a galco ankle glove and absolutely hated it. It was heavy and thick (printed all of the time),bounced around while walking, and dug into my ankle bone. No thank you. Any pistols (semi or revolver) and holster combos that you all just love? Attire would be jeans/slacks with dress/casual shoes (NO BOOTS). It is a long shot but I thought I would ask. Thanks.
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 12-22-2015 at 11:08 AM.

Do you have any specific parameters that you want to stay within for a carry weapon?

For me, once I go below the 10 round capacity for a carry gun, the options become limited. Ankle carry would be my last preferred method of carry and I would most likely take pocket carry over the ankle. That said, a barely there ankle gun and a pocket gun will be similar. As for a shooter, have you thought about a Walther PPS in an ankle rig? It's better than my other options which would be a Kahr PM or Ruger LC9. Never fired the PPS but others can certainly chime in on it that have. A revolver is quite concealable for an ankle platform but now we are skirting the five rounds mark and getting back to possibly being uncomfortable. Will you wear it if it's not comfortable?

No parameters. I would prefer staying in 9mm but I don't know if anyone has any gun/holster combos that are truly comfortable that are 9mm as 9mm guns (even the new single stacks) are heavier than .380s. I am open to a small revolver or .380. Basically I am looking for someone that has experience carrying on ankle and if that experience was truly comfortable - what was the combo of gun/holster. I don't think I would carry a second gun unless it was comfortable to do so as there would be a super small chance of needing it.

My ankle or leg carry was short lived with a J-Frame. I decided that I could not get the weapon out fast enough, consistently enough, and without adjusting my dress around the weapon. For reference, I'm 6' 170 and wear a 30-31 waist. Drawing a weapon from some nice fitting slacks or jeans was an eye opener for me. My revolver was carried in an older neoprene calf sleeve that mounted the weapon about 3 inches above my ankle. I just didn't have the room in my pants to make a clean draw. If I did it again then I would carry a G42 or G43.

Quote Originally Posted by NCmtnman View Post
    My ankle or leg carry was short lived with a J-Frame. I decided that I could not get the weapon out fast enough, consistently enough, and without adjusting my dress around the weapon. For reference, I'm 6' 170 and wear a 30-31 waist. Drawing a weapon from some nice fitting slacks or jeans was an eye opener for me. My revolver was carried in an older neoprene calf sleeve that mounted the weapon about 3 inches above my ankle. I just didn't have the room in my pants to make a clean draw. If I did it again then I would carry a G42 or G43.
    This was my experience in trying out ankle carry. In my opinion it requires a good bit of dedicated training to get a consistent draw, and it just have better uses of my training time.

I found that if I want a second gun, the pocket shield with a snubby or subcom auto is a good choice, or just weak side behind the hip out of the way of an extra mag or flashlight that might live on that side.

As to the size and comfort, that will be different based on ankle/calf sizes. I have thick, fairly flat ankles, so the PPS rode pretty comfy.

I think it can work if you dedicate time to the draw. Seeing Givens go to his backup from the ankle is pretty impressive, so it's definitely workable. I'll still use it if I'm going to be in mostly sitting tasks, as I find the draw much easier and more natural from a seated position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carrying a pistol concealed, primary or back-up, is an art. Too many folks try to make science out of it. Only the individual can determine what works for him/her.

I carried a J frame on my ankle, both on and off duty, for many years. When we started wearing vests, I moved it up there; and still carried another J frame (3rd gun) on the ankle when in New Orleans or other likely crime areas.

The problem with ankle carry is that most "ankle" holsters aren't worth a crap. I dunno if the old guy is still alive, much less working, but Ken Null made what is, in my opinion, the ne plus ultra ankle holster. I still have the first one he did for me in 1982, and while just about worn out it is still serviceable. I bought another one in 2002. I have run, jumped fences and fought with both of them, and the only time I ever had the J frame come out of it unintentionally was doing some kicks during a defensive tactics retrainer where I forgot I had the damn thing on. Null used/uses a firm, thick felt backer on the part that fastens round the ankle, and very shortly it conforms itself to the contours of your body there. Most other offerings use that dreaded "sheep's wool" junk, or a nylon-covered foam pad, or something equally unsuitable.

At any rate, comfortable ankle carry is an acquired taste, so to speak. The first rule is, of course, don't try carrying a belt gun (as in, size and weight) down there... guaranteed grief. Some folks can do it without complaint, but we're back to that art vs science paradigm. As noted earlier, guys like Tom who have been doing it for a while, and keep their hand in at it, so to speak, can surprise you with how quickly and efficiently they can present... from any realistic position.

The revolver vs auto question writes an entire new chapter when the subject is back-up/secondary handguns, but we have discussed that numerous times here before, so I won't re-hash it now.

Every day on/off duty there is a G19 on my hip and a G26 on my ankle. Unless I'm in shorts of course. Been using the Alessi ankle holster since about 2007 and love it! I do keep a tourniquet and spare 17rd mag on my other ankle as a counterweight. The baby Glock is heavy enough that my lower back reminded me I be as there until I out something on the other side. With an airweight snub that wasn't a concern.

I too don't like carrying my Glock 26 on the ankle for the same reasons as the original post.

I have three guns from which to choose for ankle carry.
    Smith & Wesson 442 & 642. There are several variations. I have the no-lock versions and no other frills. These are 5-shot .38 Special revolvers. I use an Uncle Mike's ankle holster when carrying either of these on my ankle.

Glock 43. This is a 6+1 capacity 9mm. The ankle holster I'm normally using is a DeSantis Apache. I had to modify the holster a bit as its thumb-break tends to dig into my calf. I bent it a bit and put some moleskin padding on it.

I also have an Uncle Mike's ankle holster for this gun, but it tends to pivot outward a bit.

I'll also alternately carry the 442, 642, or G43 in the pocket or strapped onto my body armor vest with an appropriate holster.
    Last edited by L-2; 12-22-2015 at 02:15 PM.

Tom Givins just released Rangemaster's January News Letter addresses ankle carry. After attending the HiTS class last month, I started carrying a S&W 340 M&P in a Skip Ritchie holster. I carry it as a BUG for my VP9.

The Ritchie holster is a copy of the Alessi (of whom Skip worked for prior to Lou's death) and is incredibly comfortable to wear. Top Gun Supply has them in stock for various guns. I work in a very strict NPE and have found that cutting off the foot part of a second sock that I wear over the holster gives an additional level of concealment as there is no shiny leather or parts of the gun sticking out. It is also very accessible.

Site Supporter
    Been trying to work out ankle carry. I can do a Glock 26 while wearing boots, although I have thought many a times about weight on the other ankle. If I cannot strap the holster done hard on a boot, it slides down and wiggles.

During an Urban Rifle Class at Thunder Ranch, I worn Heidi's Smith 5 shot leather holster for a Glock 19 for a day and forgot at times I had it on but had it over tall leather boots.

I am waiting on an ankle holster for a Glock 42 from 5-Shot Leather.

I see real advantages to ankle carry when driving compared to my pocket carry.

User Tag List