Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caliber Testing?

Caliber Testing?

I am fortunate to have a range close by that rents pistols and I have been taking full advantage of it while trying to figure out what pistol and caliber to purchase. I'm pretty sure I
    will buy a glock but I have not decided between 40 s&w or 9mm. So I am looking for some drills that I could run to give me an idea of how well I can control the two calibers. I don't
    have a shot timer so it will be seat of the pants but I really want to see if it is worth getting a G22 over a G17 or G19.

Mike

Some superb drills HERE.

I would try the Dot Torture drill at 5 yards to help establish an accuracy baseline, and to see if you're applying the fundamentals correctly.

I'd suggest going 9mm over .40 in the Glock platform due to ammo cost alone.

I have looked at all those great drills but wasn't sure which ones would really highlight the differences between 9mm and 40 s&w.

As far as ammo goes, I have been looking at Georgia Arms and 165 or 180 gr 40 s&w is only $5.00 more expensive than 124 gr 9mm per 500, so that cost is really negligible. If I can
    control the 40 as well as I can the 9 I think I would rather carry the slightly larger round for SD.

Mike

Do you live in a state that restricts good hollow point ammunition? Are you likely to have to shoot through automobile materials?

If the answer to both of these questions is no, then there is not a logical argument for .40 over 9mm.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I agree, IMHO the nod goes to a 9mm for at least 4 reasons: lower ammo cost, less recoil, 9mm self defence ammo is much better than it used to be, a given pistol format will hold more 9mm rounds than 40S&W rounds.

The answer is no to both but there is no advantage of the 40 over the 9? Not even the slightly larger projectile?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bigslim View Post
    The answer is no to both but there is no advantage of the 40 over the 9? Not even the slightly larger projectile?

Mike
    5 thousandths of an inch. That's the difference we are talking about.

If there is someone that feels a difference of 5 thousandths when shot, they are superbly unique.

That tiny benefit does not outweigh the sacrifices that come with it.

I believe that modern JHP's have mostly negated the difference size makes in service calibers. And so do many other people. Including people who have extensively studied this.
    Last edited by JDM; 10-02-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigslim View Post

Mike
    Mike,
    With the advances in technology with regards to defensive ammo, the "performance gap" is closing with regard to 9mm vs .40.

Here's a good thread showing some performance tests done with various types of 9mm JHP ammo.

Given my druthers, the Fed HST 124 gr +P JHP (P9HST3) and Fed HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2) would be excellent choices for 9mm defensive ammo.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    That data is also here: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...info-by-DocGKR

User Tag List