Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sub 2000 thoughts?

Sub 2000 thoughts?

My range partner brought a new toy to the range the other day--a sub2000 9mm pistol carbine. The thing was a blast to shoot, ate up all the ammo that i threw at it, and accepted my glock magazines. I now have the itch--does anyone have a cure?

Quote Originally Posted by iakdrago View Post
    My range partner brought a new toy to the range the other day--a sub2000 9mm pistol carbine. The thing was a blast to shoot, ate up all the ammo that i threw at it, and accepted my glock magazines. I now have the itch--does anyone have a cure?
    I just got done selling my Colt 6450 9mm carbine.

If you want a 9mm carbine, go for it. I quickly found my Colt to be of limited use for practical apps, and sold it.

W/O doubt the K-T Sub 2K is one of the more interesting and affordable of its stable mates out of FL and certainly folds into an even smaller package. Still, though the Hi-Point Arms 9mm Carbine has all the charm and beauty of a bad hangover I’d as soon spend my money on it instead. No, I don’t own any of the Hi-Point pistols and no I’m not terribly interested in owning one either, but the carbines, like the pistol’s work.
    If a reliable and affordable higher capacity magazine were available for this carbine it would become a very practical home defense weapon. In the end something like the KT Sub 2K and HPA Carbine are fun guns with some cross over defensive capability so go with what’s affordable and fun. Now, if I could swing the money for the KT shotgun and .308 bullpup…

It's a Kel-Tec so if you want it for anything other than palying on the range, I would say no way.

Quote Originally Posted by TNWNGR View Post
    W/O doubt the K-T Sub 2K is one of the more interesting and affordable of its stable mates out of FL and certainly folds into an even smaller package. Still, though the Hi-Point Arms 9mm Carbine has all the charm and beauty of a bad hangover I’d as soon spend my money on it instead. No, I don’t own any of the Hi-Point pistols and no I’m not terribly interested in owning one either, but the carbines, like the pistol’s work.
    If a reliable and affordable higher capacity magazine were available for this carbine it would become a very practical home defense weapon. In the end something like the KT Sub 2K and HPA Carbine are fun guns with some cross over defensive capability so go with what’s affordable and fun. Now, if I could swing the money for the KT shotgun and .308 bullpup…
    Dude what? What about Hi Points "work"? Call me a snob if you wish, but a gun that uses zamak 3 for high-stress components (the slide takes a beating from being a direct blowback mechanism, IIRC) and has literally no QC (as evidenced by the absurdly low price they go for and the main selling point being its warrenty) is a very poor choice for just about anything. I don't get to the range as often as some here, but every time I see a Hi Point it flat-out refuses to feed, eject, etc, and one very memorable kB!! that literally split the slide in two and sent the front half of it down range at a rapid rate and peppered its owner with shrapnel.

...but it would be a lot easier for my gf to shoot, and cheaper than another pistol
    ...but it's reliable despite being a kel-tec--from what i hear about it (will have to test it out--2000 round challenge might be in order)
    ...but i can use all my magazines
    ...but i won't have to store another caliber
    ...but it's only $300 ***me lying to myself--ill end up getting it threaded for some suppressor fun

...somebody please stop me

I saw a Kel-Tec Sub2000 in .40 S&W blow right the hell up in fairly dramatic fashion due to an out of battery detonation. Pass.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    my redneck buddy got one and the front sight windage adjustment drum literally fell off in the first couple minutes, now he's stuck with a FSP that cannot be moved. it shreds cases and i have seen his jam at least once per range trip. YMMV but i'd as son spend the 300 dollars on ammo to something I already have...

I've got a Sub 2K in the 9mm g17 mag version. Is it a great quality fighting gun that is my first choice to grab when hell comes to breakfast? No, it's a $300 folding 16" gun that I can take camping, kayaking, or whatever.

Pros.
    It folds up to 16 inches.
    It can run my G17 mags or Glock 33 rounders. You can, with suitable fasteners, attach a 33 rounder to the bottom of forestock and fold the gun. Now you have 17 rounds in the gun and 33 rounds spare in a nice tight package.
    With good mags the gun runs fine.

Cons.
    The sights pretty much suck. Goofy rear aperture and fat red plastic front.
    The gun is light and half of the weight is in the bolt and carrier. So there is a lot of movement on each shot.
    Me being a lefty and the gun being a blow back with right ejection, I get gas and particles on my cheek when shooting. I use my Chuck Norris beard for protection.
    The trigger is plastic and mushy. It's a $300 gun.

My accuracy with this gun is about 4" at 50 yards. The trigger and sights don't make it easy to be a tack driver.

I use this gun in local carbine matches because I can reload 9 a lot cheaper than 223. I infrequently win the iron (plastic) sight division. I also take it on trips because it's so handy. IMHO, it's well worth $300.

Gringop

Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Now that’s chutzpa if I ever saw it!

User Tag List